The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Advanced Performance Bracing or Performance Bracing???
Advanced Performance Bracing....Andy Powers knocked it out of the park!!! 20 83.33%
Performance Bracing....give me that old Taylor sound!!! 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2017, 04:07 AM

Default Taylor Advanced Performance Bracing Vs Performance Bracing

For those who own a Taylor with the new Advanced Performance Bracing, what's your assessment of it vs the traditional Taylor Performance Bracing? I like my 814ce a lot, but I played a 414ce yesterday that reminded me of what I may be missing in a "traditionally" braced Taylor.

Which do you prefer? I know some will like both, but dig deep and choose one!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Abstain...

I don't think the two can truly be compared yet, because the older voicings have had significantly more time than the new ones to "open up" and mature.

I have a 2007 814 and a revoiced 810. Not apples to apples, but so far I think I prefer the wider tonal spectrum the 810 provides. Could just be dread vs. GA though.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Abstain...

I don't think the two can truly be compared yet, because the older voicings have had significantly more time than the new ones to "open up" and mature.

I have a 2007 814 and a revoiced 810. Not apples to apples, but so far I think I prefer the wider tonal spectrum the 810 provides. Could just be dread vs. GA though.

Good point. Though, when you look at something like a 414ce rosewood, it sounded a little more focused to me than my 814. The 814 seems wider and more full, but also more scooped. Hard to explain
Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 AM

I think it is different, but not necessarily better. I loved the tone of my now former 2010 814ce. I played a couple 2016 814ce side by side and also loved them. They definitely had more of a full sound with bigger (not better) low end response, but my older 814 just felt a little tighter and had a little more of the brighter "Taylor tone" that I'm used to. I liked the way it sounded for how I play. Maybe I'm just accustomed to what I think a good Taylor should sound like though from past experiences...

I think what Taylor is doing is great (except for the ES-2 system) and it gives some more diversity to the tonal pallet they offer.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodx14 View Post
...but my older 814 just felt a little tighter and had a little more of the brighter "Taylor tone" that I'm used to...
Funny you should say. My 2007 814 has a totally different feel (and I don't mean sound) than my revoiced 810 - and that is when both have the same strings and equivalent setup (at least all the measurements are the same).

My 814 feels really tight as compared. It's weird and I can't understand it.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

The new bracing is a huge improvement, to my ear.

Does anyone know how wide the new 814 "x" bracing is? 5/16"? 1/4"? Something else?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:03 PM

I may be wrong but I believe what Taylor calls Performance Bracing is now also a redesign from Andy Powers.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 08:36 PM

I prefer the original Taylor voicing

Not that the Andy Powers "Taylor 2.0" re-voicing isn't good...it is VERY good in certain ways...many ways...BUT the problem for me is that now Taylors with the AP voicing...Andy Powers...AP...have a voice/tone very much similar to a number of really fine boutique and luthier instruments...such as Goodall, or Breedlove, or Mcpherson, for example. That lush, highly complex, long sustaining voice.

The AP voice Taylors no longer have that original voice/tone that Bob Taylor created. That is what I always really liked about Taylor. They created their own original look and their own original sound, and I thought their original voice was really nice. Maybe a wee bit weak on the bass at times...but not always, and they really fixed that issue with the brilliant and gorgeous GS body design...great job Larry Breedlove on that one!!!

I think the original 514/714/814/914...8 and 9 level PS series and the GS and the 855/955 jumbo guitars are some of the best all around instruments ever made...and their looks and tone were very original.

Now all those body styles...except the sadly discontinued 855/955...are just as gorgeous...and the AP tone IS wonderful...BUT...it is no longer distinctive/original to Taylor.

I miss the old Taylors...especially the 1995 to 2000 models, which featured some exceptionally nice woods and inlays/purfling all around.

duff
Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 PM

I don't know enough about the different types of bracing. But we have to recognize that every piece of wood has unique fiber structure, and thus unique tonal nodes. Regardless of the bracing all the elements have to come together. Then you add the elements of age, strings and picks... and how can you come to a singular conclusion?

I have a 2011 Taylor 614ce and have no idea what type of bracing is in it. I'd like to know, but it wouldn't change my opinion of the instrument.

In anyone's opinion, especially with the higher end Taylors, are the "improvements" over earlier models that significant? And, does anyone find that the changes in a particular model over the years warrant a name or designation change? As an example, my buddy has a 614ce with a three piece back (mine's 2 piece) and his headstock has a finger joint where mine has a scarf joint. His has a much different pickup system (with AA batteries) while mine has the ES1 and now the ES2 is current. Now bracing changes? I'm perplexed as to how these two similar but completely different guitars, except for the wood and the body shape how they (and older versions yet) could still be called the by the same model name?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-11-2017, 08:58 PM

I like the older bracing better. They were more balanced and sweet across the spectrum to my ears. The bass wasn't pronounced like they are now, but they sounded sweeter. I remember playing an 814ce at sam ash about 6 years ago. The volume was pretty soft, but man was it shimmering. I wish I bought that one. I usually only buy new, but I'm making an exception for Taylor's since you can't buy the old bracing 600 and 800 series new anymore =[
Old 05-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I have to guess that my only experience with this is my 2009 954ce- a 12 string GA body. While I can't be as descriptive as some of the posters; it certainly has a somewhat 'different' sound than my other newer models.

I've always just attributed that to it being a different model, but who knows the actual reason? I will say, however, that it is a good deal heavier than any of the others that I own (although the only other 12 string I have is a GC body, which should be lighter simply by the size difference). I'm sure that any 12 string is built 'heavier' than it's same model year 6 string variety...
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 AM

I first became interested in Taylor for the nice feeling neck and great set ups. But the modern, focused tone has also grown on me. I see the AP bracing as a way to "Martin-ize" the tone, whereas I've mostly gone out of my way to buy Taylor's. I agree with the comments above that it is nice, but different, and skews toward the generic boutique voice (not necessarily a bad thing). I'm pretty happy with my several Taylor guitars, none of which is more recent than 2010.

I did play an amazing new 522 twelve-fret yesterday afternoon at my LGS that was probably the sweetest and nicest sounding Taylor I've ever played. I might have considered it seriously, if only it didn't have the ES2 pickup in it. Those three visible holes in the bridge are a deal-breaker for me. Frankly, I'd rather have a barn door in the side of the guitar. Better still, no pickup at all so I can make my own choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion