The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Thumbs up NGD - Recording King ROS-10

I know, I know - it didn't happen without "pitchers" - I will post in the next few days.

Just received today from Elderly. The 10% off, free shipping and glowing recommendations from an employee caused me to cave in on this one. That, and I recently played the RO-10 and was impressed so got one 'o the 12 frets.

First impressions - thick neck, light as a feather, beautiful woods and excellent finish work. Tuners seem pretty good, but I am spoiled by the Gotoh's on my ac522. I will put it through the paces for a couple of hours tonight to see how well they do.

After playing a few tunes - Excellent volume (better than a lot of OM's I have played, but not quite as loud as my E6om), very good sustain and plenty of bottom end for a 12 fretter. Very well balanced sonically. Great setup - if anything maybe a little on the low side as I tend to be an aggressive strummer. Fretwork is smooth and clean. Nut and saddle are nicely done and plays well up and down the neck (as far as I have checked anyways).

So, I have to say, all in all I am pretty impressed. I wanted an outdoor player that wouldn't be too expensive or have a finish that was super sensitive. I think this little guy will be a keeper. All solid woods for well under 4 bills. Sweet.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Congratulations! RKs are great value for the money.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Congratulations!
That body size and 12 fret make for a very comfortable guitar to play.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Sounds like you've got a great, new 'outdoors' guitar - Congrats!!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM

Talking

Roy............congrats. Is that neck a "C" or a vintage "V"? RK's can be amazin'!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Thanks guys.

The neck is a thick c or d shape, not a v. Thicker than both of my Eastmans - a lot like my old ef500 masterbilt ( now the wife's).

1.5 + hour practice and it performed wonderfully. Felt totally natural, like an old friend in my hands. The intonation is excellent - better than my two Eastmans, actually. Takes to a capo better too. Kept up w/a resonator banjo pretty easily. Very comfortable in my lap too. Tuners are very good, I won't be replacing them. They do what they are supposed to.

I have been critical of RK's qc before. All I know is this little guitar seems to be a winner.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Thanks guys.

The neck is a thick c or d shape, not a v. Thicker than both of my Eastmans - a lot like my old ef500 masterbilt ( now the wife's).

1.5 + hour practice and it performed wonderfully. Felt totally natural, like an old friend in my hands. The intonation is excellent - better than my two Eastmans, actually. Takes to a capo better too. Kept up w/a resonator banjo pretty easily. Very comfortable in my lap too. Tuners are very good, I won't be replacing them. They do what they are supposed to.

I have been critical of RK's qc before. All I know is this little guitar seems to be a winner.
Good to hear. I'm pretty sure after reading your thoughts, I will get one for myself (if they find their way to Europe!)
Old 04-17-2014, 03:47 AM

I have not played that model but have played the ROS-06 and ROS-16. I thought they looked and sounded really good for the cash but found the neck / nut combination a bit too chunky. Having said that I am sure I would get used to it in time. The '06' in particular was a great sounding guitar for the money - very surprising.
Sounds like you got a good'un there. Hope you really enjoy it!

Pete
Old 04-17-2014, 05:19 AM

Awesome I lhavent played the hog version but I love the ros models
Old 04-17-2014, 06:02 AM

Lightbulb

Congrats,
Sounds like a good find, congrats on your Eastmans too, they are great instruments. I would not mind having an AC522, I was blown away the first time I played an Eastman, Can't believe you scored an all solid wood so cheap, great move, did it come with a case? I can't believe the hi quality case you get with an Eastman.

Snark Tuner
Old 04-17-2014, 06:25 AM

RK is one of the most interesting brands in my opinion. Vintage aesthetics with a really cool lineup of models. The price points for the various trim levels are perfect. Too bad not too many of them show up in my neighborhood but I'd love to have one as a "go anywhere" guitar some day. Congrats on new guitar it sounds like a great purchase!!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
Congrats,
Sounds like a good find, congrats on your Eastmans too, they are great instruments. I would not mind having an AC522, I was blown away the first time I played an Eastman, Can't believe you scored an all solid wood so cheap, great move, did it come with a case? I can't believe the hi quality case you get with an Eastman.
Nope, no case - I will eventually get one as this guitar deserves better than a gig bag. They are 399 at Elderly's right now with a 10% off special and free shipping. They also are set-up before shipping. An excellent deal, imo.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
I have not played that model but have played the ROS-06 and ROS-16. I thought they looked and sounded really good for the cash but found the neck / nut combination a bit too chunky. Having said that I am sure I would get used to it in time. The '06' in particular was a great sounding guitar for the money - very surprising.
Sounds like you got a good'un there. Hope you really enjoy it!

Pete
Pete, the Ros-06 is wider and chunkier too - more than I wanted size wise. It has a 1 & 13/16 while the 10 has a more manageable (for me anyway) 1.75". The ROS-10 may still be a great fit for you. The neck definitely ain't thin though.

Tone and volume on the 10 series is FAR superior to the 06 as well, IMO. Better sustain and bass. The 06 models all sound a bit too trebly for my taste. I also prefer a paddle head as I'm not as accustomed to restringing slotheads.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM

roylor4

Dagnamit! I thought I had successfully negotiated the pull of an RK 12-fretter and now you tell me that! What are you trying to do to me? I have a family to feed you know!

Thanks for the info -VERY interesting!

Pete
Old 04-17-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
roylor4

Dagnamit! I thought I had successfully negotiated the pull of an RK 12-fretter and now you tell me that! What are you trying to do to me? I have a family to feed you know!

Thanks for the info -VERY interesting!

Pete
LOL - I feel ya. I didn't really need a third gigging guitar but the specs and price were hard to pass up.

If you pull the trigger on one I think you will be happy you put off wanting one until the 10 series came out. Nothing wrong with the 06 series, but I prefer all solid myself.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000 12 fret, recording king, ros-10