The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 10:29 AM

Default 814 in a bluegrass jam?

I usually bring a dreadnaught to a bluegrass jam however I just got a 814ce this year and I love it. Will it work in a bluegrass jam? I think it is loud enough but not sure.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:35 AM

You might get a few people looking sideways at you but I'd give it a shot.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:43 AM

That's a nice guitar, and it will work, but it probably will not hang in there like a dreadnought would. When the banjos and mandolins kick in, sure you can strum along and carry rythm. You probably won't be able to hear yourself that good. The 814 won't carry the bass end as well as a dread. But if you flatpick lead lines, I think it would probably cut through well. Just my two cents worth.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidmh1 View Post
I usually bring a dreadnaught to a bluegrass jam however I just got a 814ce this year and I love it. Will it work in a bluegrass jam? I think it is loud enough but not sure.
Any guitar will work, some will just work better than others. Loud is not the only thing, it needs to be loud in the registers occupied by the guitar in a jam. Probably will do well for leads. Probably won't be heard playing rhythm.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:53 AM

That's a nice guitar, and it will work, but it probably will not hang in there like a dreadnought would. When the banjos and mandolins kick in, sure you can strum along and carry rythm. You probably won't be able to hear yourself that good. The 814 won't carry the bass end as well as a dread. But if you flat pick lead lines, I think it would probably cut through well. Just my two cents worth.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:10 AM

Sure, you could show up at a bluegrass jam with a Taylor 814.

What's the worst that could happen?

2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-19-2019, 11:14 AM

I wouldn't worry as much about it being loud enough as much as I would worry about the name on the headstock.

Bluegrassers can be ruthless, but some don't care.

It just depends on the group.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM

I agree that it will work better for leads than for rhythm.

The 814 probably won't garner much cache in a bluegrass jam. If you're a rhythm player and are deadset on the 814, consider a switch to old time. Folks in that genre generally don't want the guitar to kill banjos.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:41 AM

I've played Bluegrass rhythm for years and my main guitar, for a long time, was a 1995 810 and while it was a FANTASTIC guitar, it couldn't hang with the Martin dreads for bass and volume. I also received my fair share of compliments on it too...…..most of them not pleasant!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 AM

The jams I attend are dominated by Martin and Alvarez. You will a couple Fenders, Yamahas, and Gibsons.

We even have a couple of home builds. I have the only Takamines and get quite a few compliments on them. Every now and then I will drag along one of the Indianas.

The Indiana Scout is a dread and can hold it's own. The Madison is a concert size and totally gets covered up.

I have not seen a Taylor at the jams in my area. But give it a whirl, you my be pleasantly surprised.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 11-19-2019, 12:23 PM

Here's my 2 cents as a guy who plays almost exclusively bluegrass: Anyone who gives you cr*p about your guitar, whatever it may be, is someone whose personality rhymes with a small, furry black animal that digs tunnels underground. I'm not talking about friendly banter. I mean, if I was involved, of course I'd be knocking your cutaway, but it's all in good spirit.

I once played in a bluegrass jam with a guy who was an accomplished player, but his thing was playing sock rhythm using closed chords Western swing style. He played an Ovation. Of course nobody could hear him unless everybody quieted down A LOT. Did I personally think his choice of playing style and guitar were not necessarily ideal for a bluegrass jam? Absolutely. But I kept those thoughts to myself. Plus, his playing added some fun flavor to the mix. The point is, we all smiled and welcomed him playing with us.

Now, don't get me wrong. I will take unsolicited advice, comments and criticism about the kind and model of guitar someone might bring to a bluegrass circle seriously --- if by bluegrass circle we mean an actual band playing gigs.

But in an informal bluegrass jam? Come on. Bring what you have and have fun.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 11-19-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:33 PM

String it with mediums. That'll raise the volume noticeably.

(Right before they burn you at the stake.)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have played a few x14 Taylors that were loud enough to hang in a blue grass jam. Not all but some

With that said if every one is thrashing away, with little to no sensitively to the other guy/gal, then even the loudest of dreads will struggle in a big crowded blue grass jam.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-19-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post

With that said if every one is thrashing away, with little to no sensitively to the other guy/gal, then even the loudest of dreads will struggle in a big crowded blue grass jam.
As far as I'm concerned, that's when it gets fun.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
It will indeed be a fashion risk, but with enough panache, I think you can pull it off? <wink wink>

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion