The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Recommendations for acoustic guitar multi-effects pedal to sweeten live sound

I'm looking for some assistance from the AGF peeps. For a while now I've been looking for a piece of gear that will sweeten the sound and tone of my guitar for live performances.

I play a Taylor 614ce through a Bose L1. I run my vocal mic through a reverb pedal and do not currently use any effects on my guitar. I find that my guitar sounds too "flat" in comparison to my vocals. I'm looking for a bolder, sweeter, smoother sound from my guitar.

I went on a hunt for a multi-effects pedal last night, but they didn't have any in-store. I did end up stumbling upon Fishman's Aura Spectrum D.I. and tried it out with a Taylor GS Mini. I loved it. I grabbed the GS Mini because I happen to have one of those too and it was within arm's reach.

In my research following the trial session, I came to find out that the Spectrum works best with under saddle pickups. The GS Mini does, in fact, have an under saddle pickup...but my 614ce doesn't. I've read some other people's experiences with using the Expression System 2 and the Spectrum together and it seems to work fine, I'm just hesitant to spend that much money on a piece of gear that works ideally with one of my guitars.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions. Effects are not my strong suit. Suggestions don't have to be limited to effects pedals seeing as my experience with Fishman's Spectrum was pretty good. My budget? I'd like to stay under $250. Thanks in advance!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 10-09-2014, 09:11 AM

I have always enjoyed how an active parametric EQ DI box can bring the acoustic sound of my instruments to many types of amplification to include acoustic guitar amps, electric guitar amps and PA systems. There are many companies that have a dog or two in this hunt, but there is a bargain that performs very well on a pittance:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...TIC_ADI21.html

Any musician who’s ever plugged into a P.A. system or amp, especially with a passive piezoelectric pickup, has observed less than ideal acoustic reproduction. Myself and many others use an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI to remedy this situation. Although the PADI is well worth it’s $160 buck ticket, it’s out of the price range for some. For $29 bucks, less than a fifth of the price of the PADI, I ordered and received the ADI21.

The package was well constructed to protect the ADI21:

Initial visual and physical observations show the PADI to be more robust in construction in heft, feel and controls. The PADI is heavily constructed of metal and the ADI21 is heavy plastic. The potentiometers on the PADI are smoother and feel more precise. There is no notch filter on the ADI21, like the one on the PADI, but the ADI21 does have parametric EQ to set the midrange control. It’s pretty obvious from the color scheme that the ADI21 was built as a competitor to the PADI. The ADI21 has the addition of a built-in footswitch to go between direct and active signals:

Both the ADI21 and the PADI have ¼” inputs and outputs, along with a balanced XLR output. The PADI has the addition of an effects loop:

The battery holder of the PADI is more stout and feels like it will last longer than the battery holder on the ADI21:

Plugging my Ovation/Applause UAE20 into the ADI 21 through my Roland AC-33 proved the ADI 21 to be a nice active DI box. It was able to get a natural sound from my UAE20 with plenty of boost in reserve for the combo. The LEVEL on the ADI21 is like a master volume and the blend is like an input gain when rotated clockwise. Counter clockwise on the blend control gives the dry signal of the ukulele:

In summary, the ADI21 gets the job done well for it’s price. If you’re on a budget, you will be pleased with the sound and functionality of the ADI21. On the converse, if you can afford the PADI, it’s more versatile and built for road abuse. If I’m playing a gig where another musician needs an active DI, I’ll loan them the ADI21 and I’ll use the PADI. Both work well, but the PADI has a definitive edge. That being said, I own two Behringer ADI21's fro the purpose of backup and loaning out to fellow artists performing with me and do so without guilt. Ric
Old 10-09-2014, 09:17 AM

For the price of the ADI21 I'd suggest you just get one to try... I'm looking at the electric guitar equivalent and they both go for about $30 and have decent reviews on Amazon etc.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the insightful review, ricdoug. I appreciate it. I looked up some videos of the ADI21 being tested out and I'm not quite sure that's what I'm looking for. The ADI21 applied an EXTREMELY subtle change in most applications. I think I need something a bit more.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 10-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Cocobologist

If you are using a Bose L1 system, I would highly recommend the T1 mini mixer. It gives you a world of EQ options that are specific for the L1 and your instrument, all the right effects -- Parametric EQ, compression, reverb, delay, modulation effects. Bonus -- You can plug your mic, guitar, and ukulele into the T1 and still have another input to spare. Bonus - it's small and light enough to hang off you mic stand.

The T1 will be more expensive than you $250 budget, but it provides a wealth of tonal flexibility.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 10-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Perhaps I'm amiss on what you're looking for, but when you said multi-effects I think of chorus, delay, etc., but not a DI box. I've been using a Zoom A2 for quite a while and have been pretty happy with what it can do and the variations in sounds it offers. I am not really keen on it's interface though and have thought about upgrading to a Zoom A3 for the interface and few more features.

A bunch of Youtube vids on the A3....
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=zoom+a3
Old 10-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
If you are using a Bose L1 system, I would highly recommend the T1 mini mixer. It gives you a world of EQ options that are specific for the L1 and your instrument, all the right effects -- Parametric EQ, compression, reverb, delay, modulation effects. Bonus -- You can plug your mic, guitar, and ukulele into the T1 and still have another input to spare. Bonus - it's small and light enough to hang off you mic stand.

The T1 will be more expensive than you $250 budget, but it provides a wealth of tonal flexibility.
I actually have considered this, but was turned away by the price tag. I wonder if I could pick up a used one for a bit closer to my budget.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 10-09-2014, 10:11 AM

I'm not sure what you meant by 'sweaten up' ... I assume you either mean make your guitar sound better but still like your guitar or add some other texture to the sound (more like an effect)

If it is make your guitar sound better then I would say that you are looking at some sort of good EQ pedal ... parametric being the most powerful. With EQ you can get rid of any bad sounding frequencies (like boxiness, harshness etc) or enhance some frequencies to make the sound warmer, bassier (not the same), more airy etc.

If this is not what you are looking to do then really the sky is the limit and it really depends on a more precise definition of sweater.

One thing I like with guitars is subtle use of delay ... it can thicken up the sound and can make the guitar really swing. You need a delay with an easy to use tap function so you can set the delay time to the music tempo and adjust while playing.

The Spectrum you mentioned is really a totally different kettle of fish. You are adding some fake mic sound to the mix. Similar to this is the D-Tar Mama Bear. This is a really fun box :-) ... look at the vids here: http://www.d-tar.com/mama_bear_videos.shtml
Old 10-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
I actually have considered this, but was turned away by the price tag. I wonder if I could pick up a used one for a bit closer to my budget.
My $0.02 on the T1 -- I've been using the Bose L1 for almost 10 years now (Has it really been that long? Yeesh!). I started off with the first generation and 2 B1 bass cabs, and just recently upgraded to the L1 Model 2. Because of the unique design of the L1 line array system, I've found that it can be a little tricky getting the EQ curve set up correctly for the different instruments using only a 3 band EQ from the channel strip of a mixer, or depending on a pedal.

The gang at Bose actually used a bunch of fancy-pants analysis gear to develop specific EQ curves for a variety of different instruments, mics and pick up systems. They did the same for several brand name instruments/mics/pickups, including narrowing it down to the specific model family in some instances. In some instances, they went so far as to drag their gear to the manufacturer itself in order to get the most info possible.

At the end of the day, the T1 starts you off with a solid tone foundation for virtually any instrument/mic/pickup you are working with, then gives you the ability to tweak the tone even more through the usual bass/mid/treble controls, as well as a parametric EQ to help shape specific frequencies over and above the curve they previously created. A solid compression circuit with full control (Including de-essing for the mics), nice modulation effects (Chorus, phase, flange), full control delay, and a sweet reverb unit -- All in the one package.

I've used the T1 for several years for my solo acoustic work. The only downside that I've found is that there is no option for a foot pedal to control the effects -- You have to go in and manually turn on/off the effects via the front panel. If you're not a big user of effects or simply set & forget, this won't be a problem. I've found that I like to have on the fly control of delay and chorus, so I added a Zoom G3 to the setup and everything is peachy.

At the end of the day, it is more expensive. However, IMO the increased tone quality and flexibility makes it a worthwhile investment for the dedicated Bose user.

Good luck with your decision!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 10-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Since you are limited on budget, I suggest you start with one pedal that you like that does broaden your tone acoustically. A chorus pedal is a good start. A delay pedal is also good way to go.
I have a few pedals I am ready to pass on to the next guy/gal. Let me know if you want to talk on the phone about these pedals. They are all in excellent condition and I will resell at a very fair price.
The multi effects pedals are interesting but usually offer about 1000 times as much as you actually use. You have to pay for what you don't use. And the multi pedals usually do not sound as good as the individual pedals. Depends on what quality you are looking for. Zoom makes great pedals but do not have the quality sound that I personally look for. Nothing wrong with those pedals.

I like TC Electonics pedals.

Doug
Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
I'm not sure what you meant by 'sweaten up' ... I assume you either mean make your guitar sound better but still like your guitar or add some other texture to the sound (more like an effect)

If it is make your guitar sound better then I would say that you are looking at some sort of good EQ pedal ... parametric being the most powerful. With EQ you can get rid of any bad sounding frequencies (like boxiness, harshness etc) or enhance some frequencies to make the sound warmer, bassier (not the same), more airy etc.

If this is not what you are looking to do then really the sky is the limit and it really depends on a more precise definition of sweater.

One thing I like with guitars is subtle use of delay ... it can thicken up the sound and can make the guitar really swing. You need a delay with an easy to use tap function so you can set the delay time to the music tempo and adjust while playing.

The Spectrum you mentioned is really a totally different kettle of fish. You are adding some fake mic sound to the mix. Similar to this is the D-Tar Mama Bear. This is a really fun box :-) ... look at the vids here: http://www.d-tar.com/mama_bear_videos.shtml
Can you make a suggestion on something that does this? I like to try and pull them up on YouTube to get an idea if that's what I'm looking to achieve.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 10-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Michaels View Post
Since you are limited on budget, I suggest you start with one pedal that you like that does broaden your tone acoustically. A chorus pedal is a good start. A delay pedal is also good way to go.
I have a few pedals I am ready to pass on to the next guy/gal. Let me know if you want to talk on the phone about these pedals. They are all in excellent condition and I will resell at a very fair price.
The multi effects pedals are interesting but usually offer about 1000 times as much as you actually use. You have to pay for what you don't use. And the multi pedals usually do not sound as good as the individual pedals. Depends on what quality you are looking for. Zoom makes great pedals but do not have the quality sound that I personally look for. Nothing wrong with those pedals.

I like TC Electonics pedals.

Doug
Thanks, Doug! I'm interested in what you're looking to pass on. Care to PM me with the specifics? I think you might be right...starting small and narrowing down what kind of sound I'm really looking to achieve may be the smartest.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 10-09-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Can you make a suggestion on something that does this? I like to try and pull them up on YouTube to get an idea if that's what I'm looking to achieve.
There are a few out there ... some traditional pedals ... others need to be on a table or stand. Here are some ...

One of the most common (and a fav here and mentioned above) is the LR Baggs Para DI. Big plus is it runs of batteries (which last for ages) or off Phantom power.

There is a bigger easier to use model called the Venue (also popular here) but more expensive.

Table or stand mount there is the D-Tar Equinox ... this is a very powerful EQ.

My favourite is the Carl Martin Parametric EQ which is in the shape of a traditional pedal ... great for shaping guitar sounds.

That's a few to start with. There are more ... sure others can chime in.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:42 PM

I like using a modulated delay when I'm in an effecty mood. Reverb is nice too. Check out the MXR Carbon Copy for mod delay and the Boss RV-5 for reverb
Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrunskill View Post
I like using a modulated delay when I'm in an effecty mood. Reverb is nice too. Check out the MXR Carbon Copy for mod delay and the Boss RV-5 for reverb
I'm thinking of picking up one of these to try out:

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-C...2885473&sr=1-1

On the same note, I may try to grab a reverb pedal around the same price.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification