The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-10-2021, 08:51 AM

Default Mic suggestions

Good morning agf homies

So I bought a cheap amp (the GC Acoustic) and looper for playing at home. The amp has two inputs so I want to get a mic so I can hear myself singing the quieter songs.

I’ve seen a few mics pop up on SDOTD but I don’t know anything about electronics so I want to make sure I’ll get something that actually works that I can just plug right into that second input. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:03 AM

My suggestion would be either a Shure SM58 or Sennheiser 835.
Each about $100. Good quality that will last you a long time.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:52 AM

I recommend...
If you have a low voice:
These will bring out the highs/sparkle/air
Se V3
Beyerdynamic TG V30

High Voice
This one is flat with a bit of sparkle at the top, Lots of bass boost when close
Se V7

Middle
Lewitt MTP 250 DM Bass and sparkle
Shure SM58 It is what it is...Old favorite but a bit muddy
Old 04-10-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
Good morning agf homies

So I bought a cheap amp (the GC Acoustic) and looper for playing at home. The amp has two inputs so I want to get a mic so I can hear myself singing the quieter songs.

I’ve seen a few mics pop up on SDOTD but I don’t know anything about electronics so I want to make sure I’ll get something that actually works that I can just plug right into that second input. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Apologies for my ignorance, but I have no idea what amp the "GC Acoustic" is and so I'm hesitant to recommend anything that will "just plug right in" and give out happiness.

Folks are already chiming in on some ideas, including some standards that are standards because they work for a lot of things, situations and people.

Things like the Shure SM57 and SM58 are standards, inexpensive, and sturdy as can be. The Beta versions of those models are just a bit more and have a bit more output and cut in a PA mix as I recall. I have a little experience with the Senneheiser dynamics that may also show up in threads like these, not enough to say anything one way or the other.

There are others hear who know more and have more experience but to me the advantages of a mic like these are: low price, high durability, and wide-range of uses (particularly like the SM57 and Beta57 in this regard), and better sound that many will give them credit for. They lack a little upper end detail, transient response and sensitivity over other "better mics" -- but a lot of people's voices in a lot of contexts don't have that much of those qualities that need to be captured.

There are a lot of sub $200 to $250 condenser mics available that many people think of as the default best choice for vocals. For some voices that may be so. The thread may start to recommend some of those. They require phantom power, which your amp may supply, but I can't say for sure not knowing it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-10-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
My suggestion would be either a Shure SM58 or Sennheiser 835.
Each about $100. Good quality that will last you a long time.
First, make sure one of the inputs is mic level. If not you'll need a preamp.

These are both standard dynamic stage mics and good choices to start with. For my voice I prefer the 835, but either should be fine.

BTW, I have both. I also have a couple of Behringer XM8500s as backups. Not quite the same as SM58s, but pretty close and only $19 from Sweetwater.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-10-2021, 12:59 PM

Not sure what your budget is, or vocal range either. That said, a dynamic mic (one that doesn't need phantom power) is going to be your best bet for now. The suggestions so far are good. Blue Encore 100 is good too, as is the EV CO9, or even an EV ND76, which is on sale at the moment. If your budget allows, a Miktek PM9 is phenomenal.

On a related note, don't cheap out on mic cables. Get one with Neutrik connectors if you can. The $15 cables will leave you with snap, crackle and pop and no worky after a few uses.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 04-10-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Shure Beta 58A, an excellent professional mic for now and for later should you ever upgrade your gear. For a $60 difference between this and a Shure SM58, and other similarly-priced mics, ask yourself: Why more often than naught do you see professional performers using a Shure Beta 58A?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-10-2021, 01:48 PM

Wow thanks for all the suggestions! I wasn’t near my amp at the time so I called it a GC just because I’ve seen them in the acoustic rooms at a couple guitar centers. I just checked it out again it’s the Acoustic brand A20 acoustic amp.

This is the amp - https://www.guitarcenter.com/Acousti...kaAtIVEALw_wcB

Would I need a pre amp for this? I’m usually a little better at figuring stuff out but with electronics I don’t even know what I don’t know.

As far as my voice goes I don’t know how to describe it except not very good yet lol. Not high for sure but not particularly low. Me trying to jam : ) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucDwjxqsRvw

I didn’t think much about singing when I decided to learn guitar but I almost feel like I have to when I’m playing. It helps me feel the song and remember where I’m at in the guitar parts. Now I need a mic and some singing lessons and maybe some guitar lessons as well and I’ll be the toast of my living room.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
Wow thanks for all the suggestions! I wasn’t near my amp at the time so I called it a GC just because I’ve seen them in the acoustic rooms at a couple guitar centers. I just checked it out again it’s the Acoustic brand A20 acoustic amp.

This is the amp - https://www.guitarcenter.com/Acousti...kaAtIVEALw_wcB

Would I need a pre amp for this? I’m usually a little better at figuring stuff out but with electronics I don’t even know what I don’t know.

As far as my voice goes I don’t know how to describe it except not very good yet lol. Not high for sure but not particularly low. Me trying to jam : ) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucDwjxqsRvw

I didn’t think much about singing when I decided to learn guitar but I almost feel like I have to when I’m playing. It helps me feel the song and remember where I’m at in the guitar parts. Now I need a mic and some singing lessons and maybe some guitar lessons as well and I’ll be the toast of my living room.
This amp has been around for a decade and is a good value! Just plug a dynamic mic into a channel and adjust volume and tone to taste.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-10-2021, 02:13 PM

You've got a nice baritone voice. The SM58 would sound good for your voice I believe. No need for a preamp.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:57 PM

Sweet deal thanks everyone!
Old 04-10-2021, 03:10 PM

I'm guessing the Acoustic A20 doesn't have phantom power, so condenser mics are out of the question. Personally I use a Behringer XM8500 when I have to use a dynamic mic - I find it less muddy than an SM58 without sounding harsh. If you can spend a bit more, the Beta58 is a lovely mic, both clear and very smooth sounding. Some folks like the Sennheiser E835 - I'd take it over an SM58, but I find it a bit too 'airy' sounding for my voice - YMMV. One that interests me greatly is the Rode M1 - I have yet to try one, but the reviews put the sound somewhere between the SM58 and Beta58, and it undercuts both on price. I have the M2 condenser and it's my go-to mic when I have phantom power - sounds great and built like a tank.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:41 PM

You mention having a baritone vocal range so I wanted to raise a consideration. The standard advice is to start with a Shure SM 58 and learn on that. I think that’s fine if you are a female or a tenor, but I found that an SM 58 makes my deep baritone to bass voice sound like Mickey Mouse. Most dynamic vocal mics start rolling off the bass at 150 Hz, and are down 10 db or more by 80 hz. An E2 (my lowest comfortable note for performance) is 82 hz, and even an E3 (middle of my range) is 164 hz. If your voice is on the deeper end of baritone, I would recommend finding something with a flatter frequency response curve. Having learned my lesson the hard way on this, I now have a Heil PR 35 (which is flat down to 80 Hz). Sounds good across my entire vocal range (the mic that is ... no claims for my vocal abilities )
Old 04-11-2021, 01:30 AM

If you want to cut to the chase, look at the Miktek PM9 ($199) or Heil PR-35 ($269). You would be hard pressed (and would have to spend a whole lot more money) to find much better. The Miktek has been around for years and is really "under the radar"...you wouldn't believe how many pros use that mic, esp. around the Nashville scene.

Here's a demo of 11 artists using the PM9, also check out the reviews @ Sweetwater:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ek-pm9/reviews

Last edited by jamison162; 04-11-2021 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

If I were asked, I'd say buy an SM 57, not because it's the best at anything, but because it's indestructible, cheap, and does everything. I bought one cheap 30 years ago. The cracked housing is still cracked. It sounds good and remains maybe the best gear buy I've ever done.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification