The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-16-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I hate opening up a guitar case and get blasted in the face by stale embedded cigarette smoke. Sorry for that visual.
The cf equivalent of a humidifier. Just stick it in the hole.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1000_.jpg
Old 04-16-2021, 12:04 PM
Guest 928

incredibly nice demonstration with some really nice play!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
That is interesting. I've never seen one before. Unplugged it would probably sound like an unplugged Yamaha steel string silent guitar. I did find a video of their Duo model with a pezeo and a humbucker.

Apparently the company did not survive so these would be collector items--guessing they might be valuable.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Handle
Old 04-16-2021, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
tbeltrans;

Nice musical take on the subject.
Thanks. I hope those considering a new CF guitar realize that those of us who buy a McPherson, do so because of the buzz we get from the soundhole. These things are addictive.

Ole!

I took my Touring with me earlier this week on a trip to the Mayo Clinic. I really bonded with it and am finding myself playing it much more since we got back home yesterday.

The cool thing about CF guitars is that you can take them anywhere, leave them laying around, and they don't seem bothered one bit.

But then, my wood guitars have their charms too. I just got a new Taylor 912ce in a trade and it is really something. So I go back and forth wood or CF - both!

Tony
Old 04-16-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Looks like I'll have company while I'm standing in my corner.
With two in the corner, there will most certainly be mischief.

Tony
Old 04-22-2021, 07:54 PM

John, I have three Emerald X7s and have never noticed any smell, good or bad (though my sense of smell isn't super sensitive). Wonder if the X20 is made with a material - glue, epoxy curing process, or ?? that causes residual volatile organic compounds to slowly emanate from the instrument.

I'd suggest pinging Alistair and asking him - he certainly knows the chemistries (curing or otherwise) used in manufacture, and may help you id the source. Or develop a better hypothesis.

For some odors that get into guitars (smoke, etc.), ozone generators, charcoal or other solutions can solve for the issue. In this case, if it's inherent to the guitar's materials of construction, these options probably won't work. My guess is unless Alistair has another explanation, you may have to either live with it, or reconsider cf. Wish I had a better thought for you!
Old 04-22-2021, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
John, I have three Emerald X7s and have never noticed any smell, good or bad (though my sense of smell isn't super sensitive). Wonder if the X20 is made with a material - glue, epoxy curing process, or ?? that causes residual volatile organic compounds to slowly emanate from the instrument.

I'd suggest pinging Alistair and asking him - he certainly knows the chemistries (curing or otherwise) used in manufacture, and may help you id the source. Or develop a better hypothesis.

For some odors that get into guitars (smoke, etc.), ozone generators, charcoal or other solutions can solve for the issue. In this case, if it's inherent to the guitar's materials of construction, these options probably won't work. My guess is unless Alistair has another explanation, you may have to either live with it, or reconsider cf. Wish I had a better thought for you!
Thanks, Andy! Appreciate the feedback. It's good to know you have not noticed much of an issue regarding odor, if at all....which sounds like what most are saying as well. I will give it an extended time to air out and also air out the gig bag well (outside).....and reassess down the road.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

After reading through this thread, I checked my new X20. There is no odor whatsoever from the sound hole, or the body of the guitar.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-23-2021, 06:30 AM

My X-30 did have a chemical odor emanating from the sound hole. Within 2 weeks of leaving the guitar out on a stand it had dissipated.

The chemical smell was never overwhelming. Once I started playing, I did not notice it.

As some people are sensitive to certain chemical odors, not mentioning it does a disservice to those people.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 04-23-2021, 09:16 AM
Guest 928

And once again I pose the question: if we know that the guitar is dissipating should we not assume that there might be some accompanying change in tone or projection? As with the addition of a veneer, the difference might be subtle, but then so is the difference between one snow flak and another. Most people might not perceive the difference, but the more sensitive amongst us might (I'm not one of the sensitive ones, so I'm just guessing).
Old 04-23-2021, 12:50 PM

Maybe we now know what happened to the cat.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:16 PM
Guest 928

A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A CAT DIE IN THE FENDERWELL OF HIS SUV. EVENTUALLY THE ODOR BECAME OBVIOUS AND MY FRIEND DID EVERYTHING HE COULD TO ELIMINATE THE ODOR, INCLUDING RUNNING WATER THROUGH THE FENDER FOR A WHOLE DAY. THE ODOR REMAINED. HE FINALLY SOLD THE VEHICLE.

MAYBE THAT EXPLAINS SOME OF THE EARLY cf GUITAR VIDEOS OF PEOPLE SWIMING WITH THEIR GUITARS. JUST PARTICIPATING HERE..........I'M SURE THERE ARE OTHER MORE COMPELLING CAT STORIES.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I heard of a man who had a cat simultaneously smelly and odor-free. Or something like that
Old 04-23-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
I heard of a man who had a cat simultaneously smelly and odor-free. Or something like that
Herr Schrodinger, I presume
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-23-2021, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Indeed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber