The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2021, 09:36 PM

Default Dual Pickups with 2 Output Jacks. Dual Source Preamp or Two Channel amp?

I just bought a Timberline harp guitar that has two K&K pickups installed. One set for they Guitar and one set for the Harp Strings. It has two output jacks. I'm trying to figure out the best way to amplify it. Would it be better to use a Dual Source preamp pedal into a regular amp or buy a Fishman artist or Performer and run each pickup into its own channel?
Old 04-15-2021, 07:54 AM

You could go either way. Personally I use a Sunnaudio Ms-2, preamp and have it configured for 2 separate channels. That way the eq and levels are right there in front of me when I do a gig. Plus if I'm playing somewhere that has a PA, no need to carry an amp.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
You could go either way. Personally I use a Sunnaudio Ms-2, preamp and have it configured for 2 separate channels. That way the eq and levels are right there in front of me when I do a gig. Plus if I'm playing somewhere that has a PA, no need to carry an amp.
Thank you!
Old 04-15-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

you could have it re-wired to have one k&k to the tip and the other to the ring. Then have two k&k's out of one stereo jack.

Take one stereo signal out with one cable and then split that signal at the preamp. Or from one cable out of the harp, you can use a y splitter and split the signal near your pre or mixer.

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 04-15-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
you could have it re-wired to have one k&k to the tip and the other to the ring. Then have two k&k's out of one stereo jack.

Take one stereo signal out with one cable and then split that signal at the preamp. Or from one cable out of the harp, you can use a y splitter and split the signal near your pre or mixer.
Thanks for your input ! I want to keep the Harp signal separate for FX reasons. I'm leaning towards the Fishman artist or performer because they have separate EQ's and Fx Loops .
Old 04-15-2021, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotovibe View Post
Thanks for your input ! I want to keep the Harp signal separate for FX reasons. I'm leaning towards the Fishman artist or performer because they have separate EQ's and Fx Loops .
You can still keep the harp signal separate with one single stereo cord. One cable out is a more simple and clean solution and then split the signal at preamp or board for fine tuning.

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 12-30-2021, 09:30 AM

I'm also looking at buying a Timberline Harp guitar. Timberline installs two K&K minis with two output end jacks as an option, or you can buy the guitar without pickups. I currently have Dazzos in my two Martins which I run into a Sunnaudio Stage DI-2. I play open mics where amplification is a necessity. I also have a Bose S1 Pro which has 2 inputs which I currently use for a mic and guitar so I'm needing a mixed signal to use in that application.

I need a solution that works at the open mics which I now use the Sunnaudio preamp and also can provide a mixed input for my Bose S1 Pro. I need EQ for both inputs. I'm not locked into the K&K minis as a pickup solution as I can order the harp guitar without pickups.

I thought about getting another preamp but that doesn't solve the problem of not enough inputs on the Bose S1 pro.

I have a battery power pack with multiple outputs that can supply 9/12/18V.

My initials thought is a small 2 channel mixer placed ahead of the Sunnaudio preamp in the signal chain.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 12-30-2021, 10:49 AM

I prefer the single TRS output with one pickup going to the tip and the other to the ring. Run a short TRS cord to my Baggs MixPro where I can blend the two and send the mono output on to my amp or PA.

Since you already have two outputs I would plug an adapter that takes each pickup and keeps them separate on a TRS output (two male TS 1/4" plugs, one female TRS jack), then plug this into something like the MixPro with a TRS cable.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I prefer the single TRS output with one pickup going to the tip and the other to the ring. Run a short TRS cord to my Baggs MixPro where I can blend the two and send the mono output on to my amp or PA.

Since you already have two outputs I would plug an adapter that takes each pickup and keeps them separate on a TRS output (two male TS 1/4" plugs, one female TRS jack), then plug this into something like the MixPro with a TRS cable.
I was thinking also about the two outputs vs one stereo outputs. I'm sure I could get them to wire the output for stereo. The issue I see here is possible cross talk with the unshielded stereo vs two separate TRS outputs.

I saw the Baggs Mixpro. The downside are is only a 2 channel EQ but the controls are accessible from the outside. There's more additional controls inside though no readily accessible. Also it's battery powered which I would like battery power/external powered however looks like I could easily wire it for an external supply.

The other option I was looking at KK Dual Channel Pre-Amp. It doesn't have any EQ settings available externally but it does have them internally, but it can be externally powered.

The Baggs Mixpro seems to be a better fit with more features.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 12-30-2021, 09:52 PM

You might consider the original Fishman Blender. They have TRS stereo and separate inputs , mixed and separate send/returns for effects, mixed and separate 1/4" and xlr outs. Runs off 9v or ac power transformer. I still have mine from the late 80's and it still works today. They even had an optional mic stand mount so they were very portable. They come up occasionally on the net.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0716.jpg (49.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0717.jpg (44.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Koamon; 12-30-2021 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:39 PM

There were a couple of Fishman Blenders on Ebay and Reverb for sale $100-200. Another solution is this EAE Gigmix 4-1 which Aaron Short gave a glowing review for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7mF_Egku-w

I would run the two pickup signals into the EAE Gigmix 4-1 unit and then into my Sunnaudio Stage DI-2 preamp.

I would prefer to have a 2 channel preamps but high quality ones expensive.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification