The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Default Know of any other "Same instrument, different famous song" instances?

I heard on the radio today that "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Hey Jude" were recorded on the same piano. I went back and listened, and sure enough they sound the same to me.

There's also the legend of "Excalibur" which is a certain Taylor 514 guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_WwEWSy5g

There's also Hal Blaine's drum set(s) (combo Ludwigs and Blaemire shells) that was featured of hundreds, if not thousands, of hit songs.

Anyone know of any shared instruments on popular songs? I find this kind of thing interesting.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Considering studio musicians at famous studios (Motown, Muscle Shoals, etc.) there will be thousands of songs recorded on the same instruments.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:34 AM

The piano at RCA studio B in Nashville has been used in a lot of hit songs. I got to sit at it and take a photo on a tour a few years ago and I definitely get inspired just thinking about the people that have played it and the songs that came out of it.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Pretty much everything Tony Rice ever recorded was on Clarence's old D-28 that he played on Sweetheart of the Rodeo among other things.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 11-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Neil Young / Hank Williams D28, probably too many songs to mention.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:19 PM

James Jamerson's 1961 P-bass, SN 60228.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I suspect that many of the great guitarists wrote and performed many songs on the same guitar. Clapton,Hendrix, SRV, Knopfler, etc.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:56 PM

I seem to recall that the Zombies used the Beatles' Mellotron while recording the "Odessey and Oracle" album at Abbey Road in '67.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 11-08-2019, 01:16 PM

Thanks for everyone's replies!

I was thinking more of different artists using the same instrument, but this is ok too.

I probably messed up with my Hal Blaine comment.

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 11-08-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies!

I was thinking more of different artists using the same instrument, but this is ok too.
Ah, I see. Well, probably one good example would be Tony Rice's D28 which was owned by Roland and Clarence White. There are lots of other examples of famous guitars being purchased and played by someone else after a musician's death.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:57 PM

Can we have same band - different artist?

George Harrison used a Gibson SG for Revolver album and tour. John Lennon is reported to have used the same SG for the White album.

YouTube
Old 11-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Default Somewhat relevant, or at least interesting, in an acoustic guitar sort of way

Paganini's guitar, which he gave to Berlioz.

Autographed by both.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...round_1830.jpg
Old 11-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Considering studio musicians at famous studios (Motown, Muscle Shoals, etc.) there will be thousands of songs recorded on the same instruments.
How about The Wrecking Crew???

The Wrecking Crew was a loose collective of session musicians based in Los Angeles whose services were employed for thousands of studio recordings in the 1960s and 1970s, including several hundred Top 40 hits. The musicians were not publicly recognized in their era, but were viewed with reverence by industry insiders. They are now considered one of the most successful and prolific session recording units in music history.

The unit coalesced in the early 1960s as the de facto house band for Phil Spector and helped realize his Wall of Sound production style. They subsequently became the most requested session musicians in Los Angeles, playing behind many popular recording artists including Jan and Dean, Sonny & Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, the 5th Dimension, Frank Sinatra, and Nancy Sinatra. The musicians were sometimes used as "ghost players" on recordings credited to rock groups, such as the Byrds' debut rendition of Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" (1965), the first two albums by the Monkees, and the Beach Boys' 1966 album Pet Sounds.

The Wrecking Crew's contributions to so many hit recordings went largely unnoticed until the publication of Blaine's memoir and the attention that followed. Keyboardist Leon Russell and guitarist Glen Campbell were members who became popular solo acts, while Blaine is reputed to have played on more than 140 top-ten hits, including approximately 40 number-one hits. Other musicians who formed the unit's ranks were drummer Earl Palmer, saxophonist Steve Douglas, guitarist Tommy Tedesco, and keyboardist Larry Knechtel, who became a member of Bread. Blaine and Palmer were among the inaugural "sidemen" inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000, and the entire Wrecking Crew was inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum in 2007. In 2008 and 2015 they were the subject of the documentary The Wrecking Crew.
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
How about The Wrecking Crew???

The Wrecking Crew was a loose collective of session musicians based in Los Angeles whose services were employed for thousands of studio recordings in the 1960s and 1970s, including several hundred Top 40 hits. The musicians were not publicly recognized in their era, but were viewed with reverence by industry insiders. They are now considered one of the most successful and prolific session recording units in music history.

The unit coalesced in the early 1960s as the de facto house band for Phil Spector and helped realize his Wall of Sound production style. They subsequently became the most requested session musicians in Los Angeles, playing behind many popular recording artists including Jan and Dean, Sonny & Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, the 5th Dimension, Frank Sinatra, and Nancy Sinatra. The musicians were sometimes used as "ghost players" on recordings credited to rock groups, such as the Byrds' debut rendition of Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" (1965), the first two albums by the Monkees, and the Beach Boys' 1966 album Pet Sounds.

The Wrecking Crew's contributions to so many hit recordings went largely unnoticed until the publication of Blaine's memoir and the attention that followed. Keyboardist Leon Russell and guitarist Glen Campbell were members who became popular solo acts, while Blaine is reputed to have played on more than 140 top-ten hits, including approximately 40 number-one hits. Other musicians who formed the unit's ranks were drummer Earl Palmer, saxophonist Steve Douglas, guitarist Tommy Tedesco, and keyboardist Larry Knechtel, who became a member of Bread. Blaine and Palmer were among the inaugural "sidemen" inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000, and the entire Wrecking Crew was inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum in 2007. In 2008 and 2015 they were the subject of the documentary The Wrecking Crew.
You forgot to mention arguably one of most influential and one of the most recorded members who anchored the backbone of the rhythm section Carol Kaye on Bass Guitar.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Seems that Gary Moore recorded a tribute to Peter Green using the Les Paul that Green used during the Mayall/Fleetwood Mac years.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic