The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-11-2021, 03:16 AM

Default NGD! PRS

Always wanted one, so I was casually browsing Craigslist for a USA made Les Paul or PRS, my budget was around $1200, so I knew that anything other than a LP studio was out of reach unless I found a desperate seller, or some in need of some serious TLC. Just when I was about to give up, I come across this PRS that seemed almost too good to be true. A USA made instrument at just under $1000. As a bonus it was upgraded with SD SH-4/2 pickups, so I had to check this out. After some haggling, we agreed on a fair price. Met the guy and I could barely contain myself. The guitar is in near showroom condition, perfectly set up, and he was kind enough to even bring a battery powered amp with him. Plugged it in, and it’s exactly what I was looking for. Played perfect, it made that little amp sound better than what it was, and I just had to have it.

Ok here’s the pics, it’s a 2016 PRS S2 Standard 22 in Egyptian Gold. Pics don’t give this guitar justice, it truly is a looker!

Last edited by 1neeto; 04-11-2021 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Typed the wrong model
Old 04-11-2021, 03:26 AM

Congratulations on that PRS beauty!
That is a great color scheme with the tortoise pickguard--the zebra coils are a nice touch too!!
Old 04-11-2021, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Congratulations on that PRS beauty!
That is a great color scheme with the tortoise pickguard--the zebra coils are a nice touch too!!

Oh yeah the tortoise pick guard is a bonus too. It came originally with a black pick guard. Thanks! Played it for hours today!
Old 04-11-2021, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Very nice... congratulations! I like it. Enjoy.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:16 AM

WOW!!!!

That's one great looking guitar for sure.

Congrats on finding a deal on CL.

I've found great deals on good quality guitars on CL, FB Marketplace, and area pawnshops.

My consistent Goldmine for a amazing deals has been the pawnshops.

A couple of years ago, I scored an AMAZING deal on a Core PRS at a local pawnshop.

The deals on great used guitars are out there, but you have to put in the time and energy to hunt them down.

I scored my '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top for $923.

Here's a pic:

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 04-11-2021, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Wow Neeto and Texsun both amazing deals, congrats guys to you both

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-11-2021, 07:40 AM

Fantastic! Those birds can fly.

For those who don't know, the Seymour Duncan SH-2 is the Jazz pickup and the SH-4 is the JB, which is one of SD's most popular over the years. I have that combination in my Schecter C1-Classic (vine inlay).
Old 04-11-2021, 10:01 AM

What a wonderful find. And the gold paint job is just perfect! Wow.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Wow! Great find! Sometimes searching and good luck come together! What is the nut width? That looks like a nice wide neck!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-11-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
WOW!!!!

That's one great looking guitar for sure.

Congrats on finding a deal on CL.

I've found great deals on good quality guitars on CL, FB Marketplace, and area pawnshops.

My consistent Goldmine for a amazing deals has been the pawnshops.

A couple of years ago, I scored an AMAZING deal on a Core PRS at a local pawnshop.

The deals on great used guitars are out there, but you have to put in the time and energy to hunt them down.

I scored my '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top for $923.

Here's a pic:

Couldn’t agree more. I found a quite rare and moderately valued Ibanez at a pawn shop. It was in quite sad shape, tossed in a corner, but got it for a great deal. A bit of TLC, and played and sounded perfect with the added mojo of a road worn guitar.

Your guitar is absolutely stunning, that’s a ridiculous deal on a core PRS. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
What a wonderful find. And the gold paint job is just perfect! Wow.
The guy took quite sad pics for his ad. Bad lighting, and some even out of focus, but I had a feeling those were just that, bad pics. The Egyptian Gold finish is quite rare, and looks so much better in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Wow! Great find! Sometimes searching and good luck come together! What is the nut width? That looks like a nice wide neck!

According to PRS it’s 1-21/32” which is a tad bit narrower than 1-11/16. Doesn’t feel like a narrow neck though considering the rest of my guitars (except my 7 string of course) are 1-11/16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fantastic! Those birds can fly.

For those who don't know, the Seymour Duncan SH-2 is the Jazz pickup and the SH-4 is the JB, which is one of SD's most popular over the years. I have that combination in my Schecter C1-Classic (vine inlay).
Thanks for the clarification, should’ve said JB/Jazz, but I thought SH is more recognizable. These pickups sound great, even though the JB is quite hot, it has a lot of definition, and responds so well to the volume pot. The Jazz just sings in the neck position. Great pickup combination. I’m not even curious about how the factory pups sound (they were included with the guitar). I also found a receipt for the pickup installation. Great to know they were professionally installed which sweetens the deal even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Very nice... congratulations! I like it. Enjoy.

Thanks! Really enjoying it!
Old 04-11-2021, 01:21 PM

The seller just contacted me trying to sell me this for $200. He claims it sounds amazing even though it’s not a good-looking amp.

Peavey Classic 30 tube guitar Amp
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...304557115.html
Old 04-11-2021, 04:15 PM

$200 Bucks? Classic 30’s have a good reputation, Blue Marvel speakers are good all around guitar speakers, and it’s already wrecked looking! I would buy it just for a conversation starter.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

That's a great looking guitar and it sounds like you got quite a deal on it! Congratulations! I have an SE model PRS baritone and it's a phenomenal guitar. I'm sure the upper end ones are much better.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:58 AM

Congrats on your new PRS! They are wonderfully built instruments! That's a cool color on yours, and you've already got upgraded pickup's, which is a big bonus, as I think the stock pickups are the achilles heel of many PRS guitars. To be fair, I know many people like them, but they never worked for the tone I like. I am a fan of Seymour Duncan pickups though, but I am not familiar with the SH4/2. Do you mean one SH4 (bridge) and one SH2 (neck) pickup?

Sounds like you a great deal on a keeper guitar.

I posted a few months ago about my PRS (1994 Custom 22) that I absolutely couldn't stand the sound of! I tried to sell it for a totally reasonable price, but no one was interested, and I saw other PRS guitars with lesser tops sell for more than what I was asking. It was very frustrating to say the least. So I finally gave up on selling, and I changed the pickups in it. It became one of the best sounding guitars that I've ever played, and man I'm glad I didn't sell it!

Old 04-12-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
$200 Bucks? Classic 30’s have a good reputation, Blue Marvel speakers are good all around guitar speakers, and it’s already wrecked looking! I would buy it just for a conversation starter.
I’m about to call that guy. The problem is that I don’t have a place to crank up that amp. 30 watt tube is definitely louder than my Katana 50 which I don’t even play halfway without my wife yelling to turn it down. But getting it just because it’s a deal considering it’s modded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
That's a great looking guitar and it sounds like you got quite a deal on it! Congratulations! I have an SE model PRS baritone and it's a phenomenal guitar. I'm sure the upper end ones are much better.
Thanks! I almost bought a SE that came with factory SD pups, but I held myself. That one went for almost $1000. A baritone is something I’ve been thinking of getting. Please don’t spark my GAS again! [emoji23]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Congrats on your new PRS! They are wonderfully built instruments! That's a cool color on yours, and you've already got upgraded pickup's, which is a big bonus, as I think the stock pickups are the achilles heel of many PRS guitars. To be fair, I know many people like them, but they never worked for the tone I like. I am a fan of Seymour Duncan pickups though, but I am not familiar with the SH4/2. Do you mean one SH4 (bridge) and one SH2 (neck) pickup?

Sounds like you a great deal on a keeper guitar.

I posted a few months ago about my PRS (1994 Custom 22) that I absolutely couldn't stand the sound of! I tried to sell it for a totally reasonable price, but no one was interested, and I saw other PRS guitars with lesser tops sell for more than what I was asking. It was very frustrating to say the least. So I finally gave up on selling, and I changed the pickups in it. It became one of the best sounding guitars that I've ever played, and man I'm glad I didn't sell it!

Yeah it’s a very nicely built instrument. Read a lot about it, how PRS managed to make a USA built line, and keep it so affordable. There really isn’t much separating this guitar from a core PRS for less than half the price. The pickups are like you said, but they’re better known as the JB and Jazz. I was just practicing economy typing. [emoji23]

And your guitar sounds lovely. Thanks for posting!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars