The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2020, 09:24 AM

Default Non-invasive acoustic pickup not prone to feedback

Does this type of pickup exist? I've done tons of looking on this forum and listened to sound samples and basically can generally conclude two things:

-K&K Pure Mini is non-invasive, but sometimes prone to feedback
-LR Baggs anthem sounds great, but many on this forum say it impacts acoustic unplugged tone.
EDIT: -Also have seen on this forum that magnetic soundhole pickups aren't prone to feedback but some say they affect unplugged tone.

This would be in a Martin dreadnought, probably a D28. I do much more unplugged playing than plugged in, but having a pickup is a must. I could be playing with other people in loud environments too so in sum, here are the two things I'm looking for:

1.The pickup does not affect unplugged tone
2.The pickup is not prone to feedback

Apologies in advance for my newbness and thanks for your help.

Last edited by FiggyPudding18; 03-29-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:30 AM

Can you better define what non-invasive means to you?

I ask because I would define a K&K as invasive. Requires superglue to install ... if you want to take it out the install is potentially not fully reversible. Whereas an Anthem is completely reversible. So when you say non-invasive I don’t think you mean the same thing I would mean when I say that.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
Can you better define what non-invasive means to you?

I ask because I would define a K&K as invasive. Requires superglue to install ... if you want to take it out the install is potentially not fully reversible. Whereas an Anthem is completely reversible. So when you say non-invasive I don’t think you mean the same thing I would mean when I say that.
Sure, I mean just that it does not affect unplugged tone. Sorry that wasn't clear!
Old 03-29-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyPudding18 View Post
…1.The pickup does not affect unplugged tone
2.The pickup is not prone to feedback

Apologies in advance for my newbness and thanks for your help.
Hi FP

A clip in magnetic pickup is non invasive and doesn't feed back easily.

If you use a K&K in conjunction with a feedback-buster (black rubber soundhole plug) it's very resistant to feedback. At least the ones I have in 4 of my acoustic guitars are.

I do NOT consider K&K pickups invasive. At least not for the purposes of devaluing instruments.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-29-2020, 09:38 AM

That is a big ask.......the holy grail....gotta sound great plugged in as well. It really is about comprise , what is you #1 priority, then #2, #3 etc. Pick a pick up based on your most important need.

As Larry J said above a K&K with sound hole plug can work. Same with a Schatten HFN, I have two guitars with them and love the sound but I don’t have to deal with feedback so no experience there

Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-29-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

A clip in magnetic pickup is non invasive and doesn't feed back easily.
Any insight into whether or not the magnetic pickups affect unplugged tone when left in?
Old 03-29-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Trance Audio Amulet M Phantom.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-29-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Trance Audio Amulet M Phantom.
I've heard good things about this one but also that it's prone to feedback like K&K. Any insight?
Old 03-29-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've heard good things about this one but also that it's prone to feedback like K&K. Any insight?
I don't think it's as prone to feedback as a K&K but it's been years since I've used a K&K or any disc-type transducer. I've had Trance systems in a few guitars and liked the amplified results. I have a Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom on the shelf that I'll put in one of my Larrivees if I ever get around to it. Reality Check: Based on my enthusiasm for Trance systems, a few AGFers bought and installed them, and didn't like them.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-29-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Any SBT will be more prone to feedback when compared to a magnetic or UST pickup. However, I used to worry about this a lot but in reality, I have never had an issue and I play in loud venues and at times with a drummer. The Amulet was quite good though. I don't think I can 100% say that it's any better than the K&K but I never worried about it feeding back. It ultimately didn't work for me but out of all the SBT's that I have used, it was the most plug and play out of all of them.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:05 PM

As ljguitar related, the K&K Pure Mini can be used at high volume with a feedback buster.

I played a GS Mini with a K&k Pure Mini and a D'Addario Screeching Halt soundhole plug at really high volume when I was nursing a collarbone injury and couldn't play my Telecaster.

The K&K can be completely removed from a bridge plate inside the guitar by careful use of a knife between the transducer heads and the bridge plate. It's also relatively easy to remove the output jack and install a standard end pin if necessary.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

James Mays UltraTonic is simple to install, and when you get the switches set properly ( takes about 10 minutes during install ) is about as feedback resistant as it gets. Great sound, no battery - not sure why it isn’t more highly recommended -

This was a little video I shot on my iPhone while playing with the switches - so while the audio isn’t great, it shows a bit about how the different switches help with different frequency ranges, and leave you with a great sounding pickup that can run at high volume with essentially no feedback -

https://youtu.be/uj4ccly8JX0

Last edited by tadol; 03-29-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Fix Link
Old 03-29-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
James Mays UltraTonic is simple to install, and when you get the switches set properly ( takes about 10 minutes during install ) is about as feedback resistant as it gets. Great sound, no battery - not sure why it isn’t more highly recommended -

This was a little video I shot on my iPhone while playing with the switches - so while the audio isn’t great, it shows a bit about how the different switches help with different frequency ranges, and leave you with a great sounding pickup that can run at high volume with essentially no feedback -

https://youtu.be/uj4ccly8JX0
I am curious to hear his latest V3 pickup. I wonder why James went to a single transducer vs. the three transducers under the bridge plate? It would be interesting to compare his V2 Ultra Tonic to the new V3 model.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Fishman Blackstack. It can be installed w/o slacking the strings and removed when one doesn't need it. I have a couple, light weight and the best soundhole pickup I've heard and used,.. and I've tried (bought and resold) most. I play some gigs w/ three acoustic guitars and standup bass in a medium size club w/ never a feedback issue and always got compliments on my sound.

This from a long time Sunrise user.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:24 PM

Dazzo, Schatten HFN, UltraTonic - all wonderful und superior to a K&K in terms of feedback. Feedback heavily depends on proper monitoring, so maybe stay away from floor wedges ? I use a QSC K8.2 on a stand. Couldn't be happier.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification