The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2016, 10:47 AM

I have to say this is not something I really notice. Providing the guitar sounds good on the whole, I'm not really aware if one or two notes on one or two frets are a little underwhelming. Perhaps now I've read this thread, I will be!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I have to say this is not something I really notice. Providing the guitar sounds good on the whole, I'm not really aware if one or two notes on one or two frets are a little underwhelming. Perhaps now I've read this thread, I will be!

what's even more bizarre, is that i have a dead note on a les paul. the A at the 10th fret of the b string. the frets are fine. it's just that same thing. a note that decays way too fast.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks for your replies.I'll give playing the dead spot over and over a try,but you'll have to pay for my psychiatric care!I'll let you know if this works.Thanks again....Jerry
Old 06-05-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
what's even more bizarre, is that i have a dead note on a les paul. the A at the 10th fret of the b string. the frets are fine. it's just that same thing. a note that decays way too fast.
But isn't this a bit of a non issue? One note on one fret! You're a tough customer to please!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
But isn't this a bit of a non issue? One note on one fret! You're a tough customer to please!
yeah, but i happen to play that note, in that particular spot, a lot.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Thanks for all of your kind replies.I'll let you know what happens.A friend took his GS mini back to the store and all 3 of these guitars had exactly the same problem.His money was refunded as the shop owner couldn't retcify the problem.Guess I'll just have to shut up and play my guitar,as Frank Zappa advised.Thanks again....Jerry
Old 06-05-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
yeah, but i happen to play that note, in that particular spot, a lot.
My advice would be to transfer your affections to a new spot!
Old 06-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Try putting the guitar next to your speaker system and play a combined audacity frequency waveform of the f# to g, that way if it is in the wood it may open up without you playing the note forever. F# has been known to have very strange properties. Be careful your guitar doesn't levitate.

Quote:
David Jay Jordan
Why F sharp

It can be researched that F sharp was used to levitate stones. ( SEE Sonic Stone Levitation ) It can also be researched that inside the Lord's Great Pyramid at Giza, F sharp was used, and resonates. (SEE F Sharp Key to Kings Chamber and F sharp in Ark )

F sharp is ....
375.11 hertz equals 36 inches
Old 06-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
as far as what to call it, i've heard wolf tone, but most articles, etc about wolf tones result in the weird "howl" you get on violins, etc. but the dead note thing on acoustic guitars has been called the same thing, too. at least the last time i checked.

from another forum:
http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...r#.V1RT1_krK70
That's why guitar players aren't in the orchestra,.. can't tell the difference between a dead spot and a wolf tone.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
That's why guitar players aren't in the orchestra,.. can't tell the difference between a dead spot and a wolf tone.
that's true.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:40 PM

As far as I can tell, and I've been looking at this for a long time, 'dead' notes on guitars tend to have the same causes as 'wolf' note on violin family instruments. The only real difference is the way the strings are driven.On a guitar, as has been said, the resonance tends to suck all the energy out of the string and turn it into sound quickly, so you get a note that's twice as powerful for half as long. Twice the power is a 'just noticeable difference' in loudness because of the way your ears work, so all you tend to notice is the lack of sustain. On a violin you keep feeding energy into the string with the bow, so the sound doesn't die out, it just goes nuts as the response becomes non-linear at that pitch. This is a complex phenomenon: it puzzled a lot of folks until Raman took a look at it one summer when he was between jobs, so to speak. He went on to win a Nobel prize for his work on stellar evolution...
Old 06-05-2016, 04:55 PM

As some others have pointed out, you have a wolf tone. I'd played loads of Martins in my search for my HD28 recently and I couldn't find one that didn't have a wolf tone on the F or F# to one degree or another. My HD28 has what I would call a very mild wolf tone at the F, but relative to the many other Martins I'd played it is minimal. Interestingly, I get (for my taste anyway) a lovely overtone when I strike an A note, particularly on the high E string. It's like I hear angels singing. Broadly speaking, I've yet to come across a solution to the issue of wolf tones.

IG
2014 Shippey Oval Hole Mandolin
2016 Martin HD28.
Schertler Jam 150 amp.
Neumann TLM 102 mic.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

"Dead spot"

Sounds like a Stephen King book.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-05-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
As far as I can tell, and I've been looking at this for a long time, 'dead' notes on guitars tend to have the same causes as 'wolf' note on violin family instruments. The only real difference is the way the strings are driven.On a guitar, as has been said, the resonance tends to suck all the energy out of the string and turn it into sound quickly, so you get a note that's twice as powerful for half as long. Twice the power is a 'just noticeable difference' in loudness because of the way your ears work, so all you tend to notice is the lack of sustain. On a violin you keep feeding energy into the string with the bow, so the sound doesn't die out, it just goes nuts as the response becomes non-linear at that pitch. This is a complex phenomenon: it puzzled a lot of folks until Raman took a look at it one summer when he was between jobs, so to speak. He went on to win a Nobel prize for his work on stellar evolution...

so, in theory, one could go all "jimmy page" and apply a bow to the offending note, at which point (after some sustain) you'd get that wacky effect that violins, etc get?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:32 PM

I found that my clunky "G" on the D string at fret 5 and A string at fret 10 was caused in large part by my picking forearm resting on the soundboard and hindering vibration. Why didn't it deaden all notes? Heck if I know. Natural resonance of the top?

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion