The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 04:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Well, it was NGD yesterday, and about all I can say for the moment is that this little OM is one "killer" guitar! It has great tone, volume, and it works very well for both fingerstyle and flat picking......just what I was hoping to achieve! Kudos goes out to Steve and Ryan for building such a fine instrument! Photos and perhaps a clip or two to follow when time allows.....

A special thanks goes out to the two of you at Kinnaird West!
Jim, it has been quite a pleasure to work with you on what I hope will be a lifetime love. We're glad to finally have it in your hands. I hope it truly does warm your home this fall.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Jim, it has been quite a pleasure to work with you on what I hope will be a lifetime love. We're glad to finally have it in your hands. I hope it truly does warm your home this fall.
Thanks, Ryan! It's truly been a pleasure working with you and Steve as well!

This guitar is definitely a keeper, and it's sounding better every day.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

While we patiently wait for Jim to work up a sound clip of his OM, I thought we would go ahead and post some pics of our next guitar that's almost done - a Black and White Ebony Parlor that we've built for the Santa Barbara show. We did not exhaustively take pics of the build process, so what we've got is almost finished pics.

The top is Italian Spruce (one of our faves) with a nice dark B&W ebony. If anyone saw our white tiger guitar for Memphis, then you know some B&W ebony is a lot more white than black. This one is much darker and we've dressed it up formally with ebony bindings, slot head, and a torch inlay. The purfling design is a custom pattern that Steve came up with that we thought would look nice. What do you think?

Sorry I don't have any pics of the back. Maybe Steve will help me out on that.

Thanks for watching!

Old 09-12-2016, 12:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Indeed, I've got a couple of those shots around somewhere.
E.g., the back right after finishing the inlay:

Resting on the rims:

And a shot of the tail wedge--a good spot for a bit of whimsy. This is a cut-off scrap of ebony also sporting a stripe of "white".

Thanks for watching,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Gorgeous guys! Wow. Purfling is reminiscent of the little Oak masterpiece. That ebony looks marvelous. Betcha this little beauty sings.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:08 PM

Very nice! 👍
Old 09-13-2016, 11:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks fellas, much appreciated.
Cigarfan, we did do something quite similar on the oak parlors.
This time, we went a bit subdued in the color palette.
Thanks again,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-13-2016, 12:24 PM

I had the very good fortune to see this guitar in person on my last visit to Steve's shop. These pictures truly don't do it justice, the ebony is absolutely amazing in person. We spent time looking through Steve's stash of wood in consideration of a future build but my eyes kept coming back to this beauty. I cant wait to see it under finish!!! I will be shocked if it makes it back from Santa Barbara
Martin J-41
Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Well, here's a short little demo of the OM. I obviously need to relearn some of my software, for I've been lost for much of the day trying to figure out how to do this again. A considerable amount of the high-end got lost in its journey from a wave file to an MP4, too. Oh well. For the most part, though, it's just a raw mix with no EQ, effects, compression, etc. I might fine-tune it later:

The guitar records very well, though, especially for strumming. It's equally as nice for fingerstyle playing, too, but it may be a while before I get around to doing any more clips.......LOL. All in all, this guitar will do just about anything pretty well. Needless to say, I'm loving it!

EDIT: BTW, turn your speakers up for this one.......
Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow! Sorry, I just came back from the doctor getting my jaw reattached. I know there was some upper end loss in those conversions, so I won't nitpick. Ha! Great job and great playing. I wish my so-so recordings sounded like that.

Glad you love the guitar. This made my day!

Old 09-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Wow! Sorry, I just came back from the doctor getting my jaw reattached. I know there was some upper end loss in those conversions, so I won't nitpick. Ha! Great job and great playing. I wish my so-so recordings sounded like that.

Glad you love the guitar. This made my day!
Thanks for the nice comments, Ryan! And, you definitely made my day last Thursday when this guitar arrived at my doorstep. I really can't say enough good things about it......

Hope your jaw is okay......
Old 09-13-2016, 08:17 PM

Jim, that sounds fantastic. I can't imagine what you can do once you figure out how to record again!!!! Jeez, that baby really works and your playing is certainly fantastic....maybe you should be moving to Nashville or something bigger than the chain of lakes!!!!! Thanks so much for recording this. Come over anytime and put my SJ to work for you!

Tom
Old 09-13-2016, 08:19 PM

Hey Kinnaird West, you guys may have found your new guitar Demo guy!!!!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Hey Kinnaird West, you guys may have found your new guitar Demo guy!!!!
To borrow John Kinnaird's favorite phrase, "I know, right." That was outstanding.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

You guys are really too kind. Thanks! I'm probably my own worst critic, but I was a little disappointed with how the recording turned out. But, it is what it is and likely serves its purpose. Most importantly, though, I'm just having fun playing this new OM. It seems to be opening up a bit more each day it's played.

And Tom, I'm afraid I'm stuck in the Chain O' Lakes area indefinitely. At 62 years of age, I'm not likely to consider a major move other than perhaps a winter retirement home in TX or AZ........LOL. I think y'all in Texas call us Snowbirds.....
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop