The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
I have them all in different guitars and did some extensive A/B - testing once: Same venue, same monitor placement, HPF activated on the preamp ... The K&K always tended to feedback in the lower mids where Dazzo, Schatten and UltraTonic stayed far away from feedback. A graphic analyzer will show that the Schatten, Dazzo, UltraTonic are more flat response than the K&K.
The Schatten HFN is not as bass or lower midrange heavy than the K&K. The UltraTonic is a clever design to avoid feedback. The Dazzo really needs proper installation, then IMO is the most natural PU I use - and less prone to feedback than K&K.
But it heavily depends on the guitar as well: With Collings guitars (even dreads) the K&K always worked fine - less prone to feedback. With a Martin D28 (had an Authentic D28 once) my experience was totally different. Even in my small bodied vintage 017 the sound still is boxy (but Tonedexter does wonders) with a K&K, so I removed the middle element, same with my Guild F412 12-string.

By the way: Home quarantine gives us some time, so I will upload a video showing six different guitars with different pickups, comparing the raw PU sound with the TD magic and a pure miked sound. Hope to finish it tomorrow.
The point about the lower mids/low end makes sense with the K&K. I could see that being a bit more feedback prone but I feel like this could be dialed out making it comparable to the other options. I feel that the HFN lacks some low end and that definitely helps for feedback but I do like the fact that the K&K sounds nice and big

I look forward to your video. I feel like I am at the point where I want a simple SBT pickup to use with the Tonedexter.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Happy to provide details about this. (Epecially while I wait on hold trying to get through to an institution that is swamped with calls. Such is the norm these days...)

The V3 design was motivated by the following:
  • Easier and simpler installation - 2 elements instead of 5, easier alignment
  • More transducer surface area gives lower impedance and the ability to support the passive sound-hole volume control without tonal compromise
  • Input from several high volume guitar companies who love the sound and passive nature, and are very interested in incorporating the Ultra Tonic into their production models.
It was critical that the new V3 design not sound different than the V2 design. To ensure that is the case, I did extensive lab measurement tests, such as installing V2, running and recording measurement sweeps with the network analyzer, then yanking the V2 out and reinstalling V3 and remeasuring, making sure there were no significant differences. I also did a lot of recorded listening tests, V2 then V3 in the same instrument.

I am convinced there is no noticeable difference in sound between the two versions. The new V3 is expected to begin shipping later this week.
Thank you! It sounds like a great option. Simplifying things is always a huge plus.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The point about the lower mids/low end makes sense with the K&K. I could see that being a bit more feedback prone but I feel like this could be dialed out making it comparable to the other options. I feel that the HFN lacks some low end and that definitely helps for feedback but I do like the fact that the K&K sounds nice and big

I look forward to your video. I feel like I am at the point where I want a simple SBT pickup to use with the Tonedexter.
Here it is: https://youtu.be/gilfNHa4JWo

I will start a new thread right now.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 03-31-2020, 06:11 AM

Non-invasive acoustic pickup not prone to feedback

Surely a soundhole mag pickup is the best fit here.

Dimarzio Black Angel: Sound great, needs DI/preamp.

Baggs M80: Sound ok, Active/passive switch means you don't necessarily need DI/preamp.

Fishman Blackstack: Great reviews but haven't used one, needs DI/preamp.

Sunrise: Sound great (easily the best I've used), needs DI/preamp. expensive, but you get what you pay for!
Old 03-31-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyPudding18 View Post
One option I am looking at right now is a magnetic soundhole pickup with a mic blend like either a Fishman Rare Earth Blend or Seymour Duncan SA-6 Mag Mic.

I like the idea that the soundhole pickups tend to be feedback resistant (unless of course you put the mic all the way up, I'm assuming you can still go 100% magnetic sound and be fine in terms of feedback) and I think the sound is pretty good. It seems like it is not very invasive, and I can't imagine these types of pickups affecting unplugged sound....

Please correct me if I am way off here!
Consider the Seymour Duncan Woody XL.. Installs and removes in less than 60 seconds. Has adjustable pole pieces to dial in proper string levels.

With the SD, pop it in when you need it, take it out when you don't.

Mag pickups don't sound like the guitar does, really, but a preamp can get it just as close as a piezo (except for maybe a tonedexter). No feedback issues.

I also have a DeArmond Tone Boss mag pickup in my Recording King. It has a hotter signal, but is not as warm as the SD. IMO, soundhole pickups do slightly dampen the guitar tops vibrations and diminish the volume a tad.

Yes there are better pickups in a magnetic. They are way more $ too and more hassle to put in or you must modify to make a semi-permanent installation. There are trade-offs for everything.

For price & function, the Seymour Duncan is worth having - even as just a backup.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification