The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 AM

Default Stompmix4, QSC K12, Mic guitar

Stompmix 4....QSC k12.2. Simple set up great sound...acoustic solo/duo? Any advice for or against? I really wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has tried the stompmix/speaker, nothing else, rout and if that worked for them.

(12" speaker size is so I can use as a backup when with my band..stompmix4...tiny, phantom power, mixer, effects, extra 2 channels) So, I have band gear if venues get too large..just picture small to medium size venues..any hangups you foresee (I have a small monitor if needed)?

Also, I'd like to start mic'n up my guitar where i can get away with it. Any recommendations on current mics for this purpose. Thanks in advance..
Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 PM

Great choice - no doubt.

I use the Stompmix X6 for multi-instrumentalist purposes and really love it. Sound quality, features, ease of use, ... perfect !
We have a pair of K12.2. and three K8.2s, a bass cube and a Bose L1. When it comes to sound quality, I always will chose the K8.2, if needed with the bass cube. Almost no need for our K12.2 over the year. I play solo, duo, trio, quartet in front of 50 to 500 people.
In most venues I use an instrument mic on a stand in front of me. Use it on mandolin and banjo, but guitar and dobro still get some pickup treatment (50 % pickup / 50 % external mic). Here is a vid to demonstrate my approach on the Stompmix6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZRxyR1azmU

For an external mic always prefer flat response, no hyped trebles. Take a Shure SM81, engage the high pass filter on your Stompmix, and enjoy.
I use an old Neumann KM85, perfect for that. But rare and pricey.

Best,
Bob

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Fantastic choice. We use the StompMix X6 for our acoustic duo and a single or dual Bose S1. Before going to a second S1 we had a QSC k8.2. So I think your choice is great. I'd say the k12.2 is overkill for a solo/duo but since you mentioned using it for a full band then rock on.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:22 PM

Thanks Bob, great info and loved the YouTube video (all instruments sounded great!). I'm sold on the Stompmix!

So, you think a k8 will do for the majority of my small to medium solo/duo shows? Can you elaborate on why you choose the K8.2 over the k12.2 soundwise? Do they have similar dispersion patterns? How do they handle feedback? I'm hoping to get away with not using a monitor more often than not..placing the speaker slightly behind or as far back as I can get away with.
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-30-2020, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I'm not Bob but I'll chime in anyway. I chose the K8.2 over the 10 or 12" models mostly because I didn't need the extra low end the larger two provide. But if you're running bass or keys or drums through it then the 10 or 12 is the way to go. I also didn't want the extra weight.

Weight is a big factor of why we chose to sell the QSC and buy a second Bose S1. I initially had the QSC for when we needed extra power but quickly realized that we would never need that much power. Besides, the S1 can get plenty loud when it has something preamping the signal in front of it like the StompMix.

The k8.2 actually has a slightly wider dispersion than the 10 or 12" models, as I recall. As for feedback, it's like any powered speaker - as long as you don't stick a mic in front of it you should be okay. Feedback from a guitar will depend of course on the pickup system of the guitar and the overall volume. We used the QSC behind of off to the side a few times with no issues but it was also at relatively low volumes.

If you go down into my sig line below and click on the review link it will take you to full page of links of all my reviews. If you scroll down on that there are reviews of the StompMix X6, the Bose S1 (a few) and the QSC k8.2 vs. the Bose S1, many with video demos.

I'd say if you only are going to do the solo/duo thing then the k8.2 is enough but if you want to do the full band thing then either the 12" or split the difference and go with the 10".
Old 03-30-2020, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
Stompmix 4....QSC k12.2. Simple set up great sound...acoustic solo/duo? Any advice for or against? I really wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has tried the stompmix/speaker, nothing else, rout and if that worked for them.

(12" speaker size is so I can use as a backup when with my band..stompmix4...tiny, phantom power, mixer, effects, extra 2 channels) So, I have band gear if venues get too large..just picture small to medium size venues..any hangups you foresee (I have a small monitor if needed)?

Also, I'd like to start mic'n up my guitar where i can get away with it. Any recommendations on current mics for this purpose. Thanks in advance..
Hi wm

A 12" two or three way PA setup is the optimum setup versus 10" or 15". The 15" cabinets tend to get muddy, and the 10" become unpleasant on the treble end when pushed hard.

A 12" cab has enough well defined bass to run a bass guitar or synth through it without breaking it up or getting muddy, and enough power to reach out and fill a medium sized auditorium without it becoming shrill. The QSC 8" sounds good with guitars, but the QSC 10" (if pushed) becomes quite brittle sounding on the treble end. Our church had a set of the 10" coupled with a sub which I was forced to listen to for 4 years (painful).

The QSC 12" is the best of their line. If it ever needed more bottom end, adding a sub would be the way to go.

We played through a pair of the 12" QSC powered speakers last year in a room of 350 people and it sounded fabulous. We were standing within 8 feet of them and they were right behind us and we had zero feedback.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-30-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm not Bob but I'll chime in anyway. I chose the K8.2 over the 10 or 12" models mostly because I didn't need the extra low end the larger two provide. But if you're running bass or keys or drums through it then the 10 or 12 is the way to go. I also didn't want the extra weight.

Weight is a big factor of why we chose to sell the QSC and buy a second Bose S1. I initially had the QSC for when we needed extra power but quickly realized that we would never need that much power. Besides, the S1 can get plenty loud when it has something preamping the signal in front of it like the StompMix.

The k8.2 actually has a slightly wider dispersion than the 10 or 12" models, as I recall. As for feedback, it's like any powered speaker - as long as you don't stick a mic in front of it you should be okay. Feedback from a guitar will depend of course on the pickup system of the guitar and the overall volume. We used the QSC behind of off to the side a few times with no issues but it was also at relatively low volumes.

If you go down into my sig line below and click on the review link it will take you to full page of links of all my reviews. If you scroll down on that there are reviews of the StompMix X6, the Bose S1 (a few) and the QSC k8.2 vs. the Bose S1, many with video demos.

I'd say if you only are going to do the solo/duo thing then the k8.2 is enough but if you want to do the full band thing then either the 12" or split the difference and go with the 10".
I already have the Bose L1M2 for my band... We've used it for almost 2 years and are super happy. My deal here is that I'm just not wanting to lug and set up the L1 for my solo/duo gigs. Basicallly, I narrowed it down to the Fishman 330 with expander or the Stompmix4 with QSC 12.2. I chose (for now) the stompmix/Qsc idea thinking the 12.2 could be used for the band too, if needed. BUT, my ears perked when you mentioned the stompmix through your S1 and how that increased the volume... I own and love an S1..i use it for all band rehearsals, practice at home and small solo gigs. But, I've never considered the volume when preamped.. So, with the Stompmix4 and the S1 do you think I'd have enough volume for a duo in typical small/medium venues? I've never considered this..thinking I shouldn't push the volume past what it already puts out. If so, I'd accomplish my goal simply by purchasing the stompmix... (I get that small/medium venues mean different things to different people...if there were ever a doubt of too big or too many rowdies, I'd bring the L1.. I'd just love to have a good smaller setup for when I can get away with it, which, for me, would be a lot of the time.)

Thanks and I'll check out your reviews!
Old 03-30-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi wm

A 12" two or three way PA setup is the optimum setup versus 10" or 15". The 15" cabinets tend to get muddy, and the 10" become unpleasant on the treble end when pushed hard.

A 12" cab has enough well defined bass to run a bass guitar or synth through it without breaking it up or getting muddy, and enough power to reach out and fill a medium sized auditorium without it becoming shrill. The QSC 8" sounds good with guitars, but the QSC 10" (if pushed) becomes quite brittle sounding on the treble end. Our church had a set of the 10" coupled with a sub which I was forced to listen to for 4 years (painful).

The QSC 12" is the best of their line. If it ever needed more bottom end, adding a sub would be the way to go.

We played through a pair of the 12" QSC powered speakers last year in a room of 350 people and it sounded fabulous. We were standing within 8 feet of them and they were right behind us and we had zero feedback.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Thanks! I was given an almost identical review on the k12.2 from a good friend of mine who is in a regionally well known band. He told me it was all I'd ever need..ha!
Old 03-30-2020, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
BUT, my ears perked when you mentioned the stompmix through your S1 and how that increased the volume... So, with the Stompmix4 and the S1 do you think I'd have enough volume for a duo in typical small/medium venues? I've never considered this..thinking I shouldn't push the volume past what it already puts out.

Thanks and I'll check out your reviews!
Definitely, yes! You'll be very surprised just how loud the S1 get's when you preamp the signal in front of it. However, I should ad as a caveat that my opinion is based on the X6 (which we use) and not the X4. Meaning I'm not sure about the X4's output power differs from the X6. Assuming they are the same (or close) then yes.

When I first got my S1 I went straight in with my wife's mic and my guitar and I was a little disappointed. But I know we'd need something in front of it anyway since I also sing and since there are only the two inputs I knew I'd need a mixer or something.

And when I put the preamped signals through it I was quite frankly shocked at just how loud it got. Not only how loud but also (thankfully) is still maintained decent tone. The ability to carry everything we need in one trip between the two of us is awesome. We're not getting any younger!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

The k8.2 actually has a slightly wider dispersion than the 10 or 12" models, as I recall. As for feedback, it's like any powered speaker - as long as you don't stick a mic in front of it you should be okay. Feedback from a guitar will depend of course on the pickup system of the guitar and the overall volume. We used the QSC behind of off to the side a few times with no issues but it was also at relatively low

All said ! Perfect ! Thank you !

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 03-31-2020, 05:36 AM

From personal experience the only reason to get rid of the k12 is for the bulk and weight. They are a great speaker. like your friend said "all you'll ever need." If your young and still able
to schlep it around. it adds just the right
amount of low end that an acoustic guitar needs. and when pushed hard it
doesn't get harsh like the other two do.
This is my own opinion of course.
And for most quiet applications the k8
does the job nicely. I sold my k12 and bought a k10. only for the weight.
As far as the stomp mix goes.
I have a EAE d68 mk2 . Which has the
same mixer minus the stomp feature.
I use this for smaller rooms. And it truly
is an all in one pa. If need be i can do the
aux out to the qsc k10 and grab more power for bigger rooms. But if it wasn't for my old back..id still have the k12.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
stompmix 4 qsc k12.2