The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Default Which strings for Yamaha CX40 classical guitar?

Hi, I have had this guitar for about 5 weeks now and am very pleased with it. I have it in the living room next to the sofa so that I can pick up and play when I have a spare moment or when the adverts are on the TV. Anyway, the metal wound strings are looking quite worn already, the 5th string has worn down to the nylon inside at the 2nd fret and is buzzing when I play it there.
So I need new strings but unsure which ones to get, I read somewhere that medium / normal tension strings are best because the guitar does not have a truss rod and is quite lightweight so could be damaged with high tension strings. I use the guitar for all styles of music, with a pick and without. I like bright sounding strings. So can someone recommend some suitable good all rounder strings suitable for this guitar ( preferably not too expensive) ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:31 PM

The words "high tension" are misleading for nylon strings. You'll be fine with those.

I had one w/out a truss rod, and never used anything but high tension strings, never had a single problem with the neck, or anything structurally.

BTW: I would give a nod to Savarez Strings (Reds I think). I like the ones with the wound G (just be careful not to get a set with a plastic wound G...! I got one set with that by mistake, it worked ok,, but really felt funky..)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical