The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-10-2019, 07:23 AM

Default Cordoba Fusion TE

I've scoured the existing threads and got great information...

Finally got a chance to play the Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CD/IN cedar top. Stupidly I didn't note as to if it was a 12 or 14 fret guitar. It may have been that I was excited to finally find exactly what I was looking for in playability.

I play finger style, and was excited to see multiple links of TE playing a Kirk Sand nylon at the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society last summer. My intent is to 'play' (as best I can) some of Tommy's stuff, on nylon.

To that end, which model (of so many) of the Cordoba Fusion would you recommend? Thanks for any input, I am ready to buy one of these, it'll have to be a mail order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOWbKRSOy_w
Old 03-10-2019, 07:35 AM

A couple questions, do you need a pick up and do you need a cutaway? Are performing live on stage while plugged in? I have played a spruce maple Fusion and it was nice. I chose the C10 crossover for the nut width and radiused fretboard of the Fusion series. The solid rosewood back and sides with spruce top of the C10 had the tone I like

If you really liked the model you just played then that would be the one you get.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-13-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Hi DownupDave,

Looking at your signature I see a 512 12 fret. I've got a 712 12 fret and use it for gigs.
Yes, I would need to have or install electronics, it is for gigging and recording. And prefer a cutaway. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Hi DownupDave,

Looking at your signature I see a 512 12 fret. I've got a 712 12 fret and use it for gigs.
Yes, I would need to have or install electronics, it is for gigging and recording. And prefer a cutaway. Thanks for any suggestions!
Then by all means the Orchestra model would work very well for you. I do like 12 fret for nylon guitars, that is the old standard. I also owned a C9 which was cedar topped and LOVED the sound of that instrument. A friend has a Fusion and the pick up system in them is excellent.

Best of luck
Old 03-10-2019, 08:07 AM

DownupDave,

I just went and checked out the c10 and the C9. Well I have to admit, great tone. I could live without the cutaway. And add electronics later, maybe that is even preferable.

Looking closely at the Sweetwater site, the neck comparison between the Fusion ('fusion neck') vs the C9 simply called 'C', makes me wonder at the difference if any. If you have any patience left, could you describe that? Thanks!!!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:11 AM

There are two models the C9 and C10 and the C9 and C10 crossover which have the Fusion neck. This is a shallower C shape with radius fretboard and 48mm nut width. This is the same as the Fusion you played and the reason I picked the crossover C10, radius and slightly narrower nut width.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:49 AM

DownupDave, thank you I was slow on the uptake but get it now. The C10 and C9 Crossovers have the same neck dimensions as the Fusions.

Now I'm torn. I see the C9's and C10's come with a poly foam case as opposed to gig bags with the Fusions. I can live without the cutaway. And maybe get electronics like the Barbara system at some point. Or get a Fusion, and just start playing it as is. Thanks very much for the advice/information!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:33 PM

Another HUGE Cordoba C-10 Crossover fan here. I owned 4 other guitars in my search for the ultimate nylon - for me, anyway. They were a Manuel Rodriguez, a Ramirez Cedar/Mahogany student model, a Cordoba shallow fusion model and a Cordoba GK Studio Negra Flamenco. All had built-in pickups and cutaways except for the Ramirez. I traded them all in. Then I played the C-10 crossover and that was it. The sound, at least on my particular sample, is fantastic. No use in going on about the sound... but it's as good as some guitars for 2 or 3 times the price. And the slightly narrower neck and radiused fingerboard greatly enhance playability, for me at least.

It's not the guitar I choose for amplified situations, but I wanted a pickup just in case. I just installed the Schatten HFN-C transducer (after buying 3 other first, see a pattern?) and am pleased with the results.

I also came to miss the access to the upper frets a cutout allows. Not wanting to trade the C-10 away, I modified it with my own Thurman style sound port/cutaway. My steel string acoustics haven't been getting much playing time lately. Just sayin'.

DanO
Old 03-13-2019, 03:14 PM

DanO, that is great info on the C10 crossover.

Unlike you, I think I can live without the upper fret access. But I DO need it for amplified situations. Part of me thinks I need a thin body to avoid feedback and roominess (I play in places that can get quite loud, and while I don't try to play over the din, I do want to be heard).

There are a couple of C10 crossover videos on you tube, and played acoustically they sound (to me) as good as any nylon out there.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:58 PM

As a side note: idk if you've tried any of the gk studios or gk pros

They have a 50mm neck instead of the classical 52mm or the 48mm fusion neck.
They all have the same fishman pickups with mic blends (which i think nowadays mic blended pickups should be the industry standard for acoustic pickups) and built in tuner. Aswell as cutaways.
The necks are smoothed very very nicely its super easy to play on these necks, i love playing my gk studio ltd!

I havent tried the fusion series yet, I've had a 12 string guitar with a 48mm neck before and i thought that was perhaps the one of the best neck widths out there for my hands so id be curious to try the fusion series. (Not to say that the 50mm necks are challenging at all, i love them. 52mm might be alittle bit of a stretch haha i havent tried a classical 52mm neck yet)

Edit: Also just read your comment about the thin body, they offer a 55fce (either blanca/natural(maple b&s), negra(ebony b&s), or ltd (ziricote b&s)) thats a thinbody with the same comfortable neck profile as the gk studio/ gk pro line... Also the 'fcwe' which is the 55fce but with cypress back and sides...There also seems to be a 'c5-cet' which is the c5 but with a thin body and the 50mm neck profile instead of the 52mm neck profile that comes on the standard 'c5'

btw all of the guitars ive listed above have a notch and phase filter that you can use aswell as getting a soundhole cover to help eliminate feedback issues if you decide not to go with a thinbody. From what I've seen and heard about the thinbodies is they arent very loud acoustically obviously but are the best for gigging.

Last edited by LemonCats; 03-13-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:53 PM

As you know know, I love my Cordoba C-10 Crossover. But it you want to know what my go-to nylon string guitar is for LOUD situations, it is my Washburn thin body nylon electric. https://www.washburn.com/?s=EACT42S

I got a sunburst one I don't think they make anymore for $200.00 because it had a flaw in the finish on the side. You can get one for 300.00. Don't let the great price mislead you. This is a lot of guitar for the money. Was totally worth having my guitar tech do a set-up to maximize playability, then changing the tuning machines to something nicer. I have mine strung with John Pearse folk classical strings. The trebles are actually rope steel core with a nylon wrap. They are kind of a hybrid steel/nylon deal... much brighter than nylon.

For LOUD situations where the nuances of a great classical/flamenco guitar would most likely get lost in the shuffle anyway, the Washburn just cranks without a worry of feedback, period.

DanO
Old 03-14-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonCats View Post
As a side note: idk if you've tried any of the gk studios or gk pros

They have a 50mm neck instead of the classical 52mm or the 48mm fusion neck.
They all have the same fishman pickups with mic blends (which i think nowadays mic blended pickups should be the industry standard for acoustic pickups) and built in tuner. Aswell as cutaways.
The necks are smoothed very very nicely its super easy to play on these necks, i love playing my gk studio ltd!

I havent tried the fusion series yet, I've had a 12 string guitar with a 48mm neck before and i thought that was perhaps the one of the best neck widths out there for my hands so id be curious to try the fusion series. (Not to say that the 50mm necks are challenging at all, i love them. 52mm might be alittle bit of a stretch haha i havent tried a classical 52mm neck yet)

Edit: Also just read your comment about the thin body, they offer a 55fce (either blanca/natural(maple b&s), negra(ebony b&s), or ltd (ziricote b&s)) thats a thinbody with the same comfortable neck profile as the gk studio/ gk pro line... Also the 'fcwe' which is the 55fce but with cypress back and sides...There also seems to be a 'c5-cet' which is the c5 but with a thin body and the 50mm neck profile instead of the 52mm neck profile that comes on the standard 'c5'

btw all of the guitars ive listed above have a notch and phase filter that you can use aswell as getting a soundhole cover to help eliminate feedback issues if you decide not to go with a thinbody. From what I've seen and heard about the thinbodies is they arent very loud acoustically obviously but are the best for gigging.
Thanks for this comment. I am seeing differing information on the 55fce, a nut width from 1.96" to 2 " depending where you look (not much difference I know). My gigging partner has this guitar and it is a great gigging guitar, the neck is just not ideal for me. They have electronics a cut above the other Cordoba's too. The C5 cet is very interesting, I am going to check that out. Sounds like a Fusion guitar, only thin body. P.S> has anyone used a sound hole cover in a nylon much? I know it is done, I have never tired it.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisePicker View Post
As you know know, I love my Cordoba C-10 Crossover. But it you want to know what my go-to nylon string guitar is for LOUD situations, it is my Washburn thin body nylon electric. https://www.washburn.com/?s=EACT42S

I got a sunburst one I don't think they make anymore for $200.00 because it had a flaw in the finish on the side. You can get one for 300.00. Don't let the great price mislead you. This is a lot of guitar for the money. Was totally worth having my guitar tech do a set-up to maximize playability, then changing the tuning machines to something nicer. I have mine strung with John Pearse folk classical strings. The trebles are actually rope steel core with a nylon wrap. They are kind of a hybrid steel/nylon deal... much brighter than nylon.

For LOUD situations where the nuances of a great classical/flamenco guitar would most likely get lost in the shuffle anyway, the Washburn just cranks without a worry of feedback, period.

DanO
I have seen those guitars on and off during my search. I can't find any information as to scale/nut etc.. I'll look into those for sure, especially given your positive experience with them! thanks
Old 03-14-2019, 11:32 AM

Remember, the Washburn nylon electric is not a guitar you'll want to play for the purely acoustic sound. And it's not a guitar you'll pull out just to look at. But for something you can play loud without feedback issues it's hard to beat. Here's a youtube review I found interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpzG9GGDbGA

DanO
Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 PM

I contacted Cordoba to clear up some confusion I had about the Fusion 12 series. You might be interested in what I learned.

The Fusion 12 (cedar top) has mahogany laminate back and sides, and an ordinary pickup installation.

The Fusion 12 Orchestra (cedar) has rosewood laminate back and sides, and a blended amplification system that uses both a pickup and a tiny microphone.

Neither guitar comes with a gig bag, although they did in the past.

There is also a difference in the fretboard wood.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical