The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 PM

What exactly is wrong with the oasis and what are the two parts with it in the picture?

If the checking happened after it was shipped the seller may argue that it was not acclimatized and opened too soon, so you could be responsible for the damage.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:44 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post

So, it looks like this one will need to go back.
I think this is a good call.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

It's like a metal visor clip, like you'd have on a car visor. I've never owned the Oasis device, so didn't know if that's part of the device.

He can argue acclimation, but the box was room temp, as was the case and guitar. And I'm really far less worried about the checking as I am the neck damage and fret leveling work. I sent him a message with what it would take to cover the costs and offset value -- or a full refund, so we'll see how he responds.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:48 PM

Send it back
Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I have bought and sold many, many guitars over the years with great luck. For whatever reason, I’ve had a heck of a time on Reverb. One guitar was pretty badly described. Another was outright fraud. I made the mistake of trying to work with the seller on the second guitar, and now I’m stuck with it. It wasn’t until a couple of weeks after I received the guitar that I found out it had been declared a “total loss” by the original builder.

Do yourself a huge favor and don’t make someone else’s problem YOUR problem. Just return it.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
It's like a metal visor clip, like you'd have on a car visor. I've never owned the Oasis device, so didn't know if that's part of the device.

He can argue acclimation, but the box was room temp, as was the case and guitar. And I'm really far less worried about the checking as I am the neck damage and fret leveling work. I sent him a message with what it would take to cover the costs and offset value -- or a full refund, so we'll see how he responds.
Ah so this is the type of humidifier that clips to the case. So the clip came off and scratched the neck. So I guess the seller meant well and wanted to make sure guitar was humidified but did not provide sufficient protection to prevent the clip from coming off. I hope you can find some mutual arrangement to share cost of repair.

Last edited by merlin666; 01-22-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I have bought and sold many, many guitars over the years with great luck. For whatever reason, I’ve had a heck of a time on Reverb. One guitar was pretty badly described. Another was outright fraud. I made the mistake of trying to work with the seller on the second guitar, and now I’m stuck with it. It wasn’t until a couple of weeks after I received the guitar that I found out it had been declared a “total loss” by the original builder.

Do yourself a huge favor and don’t make someone else’s problem YOUR problem. Just return it.
This is sound advice. I've purchased nearly two dozen guitars online and only had one issue previously (and that's b/c the shipper sent the guitar from WI to CA without a box --- shipping labels right on the case!).

I've issued the full refund request and awaiting his response.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Update: the seller was horrified by the neck damage and agreed with the refund request. He's taking up a claim with UPS, so required the guitar to get picked up at my home. They picked it up, and the seller issued the refund immediately.

These things can become complicated quickly, but an understanding seller and Reverb's support were both really great. *And I already got the email from Reverb for the refund approval, so this should end this chapter.

Thanks again, everyone, for your valuable input. Time to shop for a (new) Rosewood/Sitka dread!

Old 01-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Update: the seller was horrified by the neck damage and agreed with the refund request. He's taking up a claim with UPS, so required the guitar to get picked up at my home. They picked it up, and the seller issued the refund immediately.
There is no way that happen in transit, IMO the seller is going to try to ding UPS for the damage that was there before he shipped it. BTW, 750 for a used E8OM? Have you tried Ted at LA Guitar Sales? You will get a great deal on a mint California guitar with no surprises.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:12 PM

With all that was wrong with that guitar you were lucky you were dealing with a cooperative seller. It was wrong for him to falsely advertise it as being in "excellent condition". This could have been a big, costly, time-consuming problem.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
There is no way that happen in transit, IMO the seller is going to try to ding UPS for the damage that was there before he shipped it. BTW, 750 for a used E8OM? Have you tried Ted at LA Guitar Sales? You will get a great deal on a mint California guitar with no surprises.
Well, I'll leave that between him and UPS. Assuming the neck damage happened in-transit, it was still due to that faulty humidifier bracket, so I can see UPS challenging the claim against them (unless he claims it was jostled apart in-transit). The finish checking is impossible to determine, and the frets were certainly pre-existing. And yes, I was factoring the installed LR Baggs Anthem into the overall price ($299, plus installation) and an "excellent" condition guitar, purchased new in 2016. In addition to not being in the described condition, it was NOS from 2012, when Eastman seemed to have more fragile finishes. All in all, I'm just glad to be rid of it.

Yes, I have purchased many guitars from Ted (highly recommended!). He has an E8D in stock, so maybe he'll want to move it and make room for all those new NAMM guitars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
With all that was wrong with that guitar you were lucky you were dealing with a cooperative seller. It was wrong for him to falsely advertise it as being in "excellent condition". This could have been a big, costly, time-consuming problem.
Agreed. It's unfortunate for the seller, but I'm actually glad that the neck damage happened, since it provided me a very clear reason for the return. The fret leveling and finish checking could have been contested, but there was no question about the neck.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:36 PM

I would return it.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Really appreciate all the feedback. In addition to the neck work, it needs a complete fret level, new saddle, and possibly some nut work with the setup (the neck is twisted). Total for the work is at least $300-350, and I'd still be out on the checking and neck aesthetics, so I'd be asking him for at least half of what I paid him.

So, it looks like this one will need to go back.
I agree. This is the wrong guitar for all that work and aggravation.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion