The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Default what dvds are you watching at the moment?

An avid fan of books and things about music, I like getting new tabs and dvds to learn things from. Just wondering what other people are watching and learning from, and what they like or dislike about them (and if they're helpful, of course!).

I was thinking of getting either a six-string banjo or a resonator, but checked both out and really didn't like the feel (string spacing). So I thought I'd spend some of the money on some new dvds.

So I ordered five (quite a few, I admit...). Four came in yesterday, and I think they're just great.

Woody Mann - Play that Guitar Rag
Teaches six of his songs, in a ragtime-blues style (which is my personal favorite). Of all the tab/dvds I have, this is my favorite (after watching it several times). All the songs are great, he explains the technique in getting the right sound very well, and that's exactly what I was looking for.

His "Late Morning Blues" is just fantastic. I've been trying to learn Blind Blake's "Early Morning Blues" from listening to Blake and tab from Stefan Grossman, but it was pretty rough. Not the same song, obviously, but very much in the same style and made wonderfully clear.

Roy Book Binder - Blues By the Book, part one
I had part two (songs in A), so I thought I'd get this one (songs in C). Also heavily ragtime-blues influenced songs. Only a few, and fairly high-paced teaching. But he's fun to listen to.

Ernie Hawkins - The Guitar of Blind Willie McTell
Explains six of his songs, two with slide (one in open G, one in open D). Got it mostly for "Statesboro Blues" and "Come Around to My House Mama", which are tabbed out very nicely, I think. Slightly annoying that he tunes down so low (high E down to C), so playing along with normal light-gauge strings is a little "loose".

Ari Eisinger - The Guitar of Blind Boy Fuller
Maybe my all-time favorite singer/guitarist, I love Fuller's stuff. I learned a few things by listening and some more from another Grossman book, but this tab seems much more accurate. When you hear Eisinger play, it sounds like very, very much like Fuller, (just without the scratchy-record noise). Again, six songs, and he tunes down a whole note.

Far more than I'll ever be able to learn, but it's inspiring stuff.

So just wondering, if anyone else has any dvds they're enjoying, it might be nice to hear what they're all about and what you think of them. Beginner's things to advanced stuff, I'd be interested in reading what other folks are learning and if the dvd meets your expectations.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I take a walk around the neighborhood about 6:45 every morning. Usually when I get back at 7:15 or so I put in one of my two Tony Rice DVD's and watch/listen to a random chapter or two while I have a cup of yogurt and cool down for a few minutes. I find that Daily Dose of Rice kind of rubs off on my playing in general although frankly most of his technique is far beyond me.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I take a walk around the neighborhood about 6:45 every morning. Usually when I get back at 7:15 or so I put in one of my two Tony Rice DVD's and watch/listen to a random chapter or two while I have a cup of yogurt and cool down for a few minutes. I find that Daily Dose of Rice kind of rubs off on my playing in general although frankly most of his technique is far beyond me.

SO Brent,

We could call it your "morning yogurt with Rice"
Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Dang, I miss a chance right there.

Nice one.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi Shawlie...
Today it's "The Gershwin Songbook" taught by Fred Sokolow.

What I love about it is the down to earth approach Fred uses and how casually he tossed out phrases like ''something of like this'' and ''I never play it the same way twice''.

Good camera angles, easy to read hand positions.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 PM

Pete Huttlinger's Play the Songs of Jim Croce, loving it so far!
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlie View Post
An avid fan of books and things about music, I like getting new tabs and dvds to learn things from. Just wondering what other people are watching and learning from, and what they like or dislike about them (and if they're helpful, of course!).

I was thinking of getting either a six-string banjo or a resonator, but checked both out and really didn't like the feel (string spacing). So I thought I'd spend some of the money on some new dvds.

So I ordered five (quite a few, I admit...). Four came in yesterday, and I think they're just great.

Woody Mann - Play that Guitar Rag
Teaches six of his songs, in a ragtime-blues style (which is my personal favorite). Of all the tab/dvds I have, this is my favorite (after watching it several times). All the songs are great, he explains the technique in getting the right sound very well, and that's exactly what I was looking for.

His "Late Morning Blues" is just fantastic. I've been trying to learn Blind Blake's "Early Morning Blues" from listening to Blake and tab from Stefan Grossman, but it was pretty rough. Not the same song, obviously, but very much in the same style and made wonderfully clear.

Roy Book Binder - Blues By the Book, part one
I had part two (songs in A), so I thought I'd get this one (songs in C). Also heavily ragtime-blues influenced songs. Only a few, and fairly high-paced teaching. But he's fun to listen to.

Ernie Hawkins - The Guitar of Blind Willie McTell
Explains six of his songs, two with slide (one in open G, one in open D). Got it mostly for "Statesboro Blues" and "Come Around to My House Mama", which are tabbed out very nicely, I think. Slightly annoying that he tunes down so low (high E down to C), so playing along with normal light-gauge strings is a little "loose".

Ari Eisinger - The Guitar of Blind Boy Fuller
Maybe my all-time favorite singer/guitarist, I love Fuller's stuff. I learned a few things by listening and some more from another Grossman book, but this tab seems much more accurate. When you hear Eisinger play, it sounds like very, very much like Fuller, (just without the scratchy-record noise). Again, six songs, and he tunes down a whole note.

Far more than I'll ever be able to learn, but it's inspiring stuff.

So just wondering, if anyone else has any dvds they're enjoying, it might be nice to hear what they're all about and what you think of them. Beginner's things to advanced stuff, I'd be interested in reading what other folks are learning and if the dvd meets your expectations.
I'm an aspiring fingerstyle player...I'm using 2 of Pete Huttlinger's DVDs:
Essential Exercises for Fingerstyle Guitar
A Guitarist's Guide to Better Practicing.

A few weeks ago, I went to hear Stephen Bennett play (he lives about 25 minutes from me!) and I bought his instructional CDs "Fingerstyle Finesse." A bit too advanced for me right now but I'll get there!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:16 AM

The blues guitar of Keb Mo. Very fun vid to watch. Not much new except how to play two cool songs of him.
Stefan grossman three dvd country blues guitar. Very nice too with old footage and audio of the real deal and good lessons. Only thing with these are that his guitar is constantly tuned a quarter step down. that's a let down.
And also stefan grossman how to play blues guitar in C. Good one too but those songs are out of my reach right now Have to get the alternating thumb in E and A down first.)
Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Jim Gaffigan's "King Baby"!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Stephen Bennett's "Fingerstyle Finesse".

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
Stephen Bennett's "Fingerstyle Finesse".
I like that one, too...it's a bit advanced for me right now but it is giving me something to look forward to! I bought Fingerstyle Finesse when I went to hear Stephen play last month...he lives about 25 minutes from. Going to hear him again this Sunday. He is fabulous, and has a wonderful sense of humor.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 AM

I have several old SongXpress videos that I need to watch again to refresh.

I also wonder if they even still make these. If so, where do I find them?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM

Default so many good DVDs

Good question....with an answer the changes all the time for most of us.
I try to work with a few at a time, of different styles depending on my mood.

For jazz/chord melody stuff, mike Dowlings' Swinging it Solo is phenomenal!
Great tunes, with lots of good ideas re: voicings on different string sets.

For ragtime finger picking stuff, Tim Sparks new TrueFire cd rom is really great. His take on Maple Leaf Rag is one of my favorites, and pretty challenging.

I always have something of Renbourn in the works, usually from the first of his 4 DVDs...FB and Beyond.

And finally, Muriel Anderson's Arioso for 'classical' and Angeline BAker arrangement form her Homespun and True Fire lessons....

then in a month...the whole set changes :

rob
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM

"live At El Mecambo"
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 AM

Louis Lamour's "The Sacketts."

No wonder why I still don't know how to play my guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write