The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Default Help With Song Writing?

I think I may wish to write a song about a friend who committed suicide this past May, and then the aftermath and whatever. Any suggestions as to how to approach songwriting? How do I select a key, melody, chords, etc?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 AM

I would suggest that you, of course, pick a key that is comfortable for your singing range. Some other thoughts: If the song is sad, it might be best suited to be in a minor key.

There are tons of ways to write a song. I sometimes write out the lyrics and try to determine the rhythm of the lyric. Then, I grab my guitar and try to figure out a melody that fits the rhythm of the song. Other times, I'll be messing around on the guitar and a melody will come to me. I try to remember that and later add some words to it. And, finally, sometimes they just both pop into my head at the same time. Good luck!

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
happiness

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I agree with the comment about there being tons of ways to write a song; what works for one person may not work for another, so you need to experiment a bit to find out what works for you.

Personally, I'd start with the words - find the voice for the song. Is it going to be from yourself about that person and what they meant to you? Is it going to be a question as to why they did it, or perhaps a statement of understanding of their situation? Is it going to be the voice of your friend, perhaps using something they said that has stuck with you, as a phrase you could use for the chorus or the opening statement?

Is there a different aproach - perhaps something you can use as a metaphor either for yoru friend or for how you feel about them or about what happened?

Once you have that voice, and have worked out what you want to say, you can start to develop it in more detail. What else can you say about it? What memories could you refer to - perhaps events that were part of that person's life?

For me, the words can then start to lead into the rhythm for the song, and from there a melody can develop.

But that's just me - you may find it easier to noodle on the guitar till you find a riff that speaks to your soul and somehow expresses what you are feeling.

Fliss

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write