The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: What is more important to the sound of a composit guitar?
cabon fiber 9 69.23%
resin 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2023, 10:08 AM

Default The importance of resin versus carbon fiber

I think there may be a small elephant in this room.

When we speak of carbon fiber guitars, we actually mean carbon fiber infused with epoxy resin. Without resin our guitars would be just flabby pieces of cloth. They need resin for strength and stiffness.

Blackbird Guitars has proven with their ekoa material that you don't need carbon fiber to produce a great sounding weather resistant instrument.

So what do you think is more important to the sound properties of the instrument: Resin or carbon fiber? My vote goes to resin.

Maybe this forum could be called "Composit Guitars" to make it more inclusive.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 05-29-2023, 10:13 AM

Crap! I misspelled "carbon fiber" in my poll and it seems I cannot edit it.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Old 05-29-2023, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

How would you ever know, given that it’s impossible to build a guitar out of either component alone?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-29-2023, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Can you build a wood guitar without glue?

While I've never heard anyone refer to their wood guitar as a "wood and glue" guitar, the manufacturers of wood guitars often tout the type of glue they use as an "improvement."
Old 05-29-2023, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I'd go with the third choice: Who knows???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-29-2023, 04:35 PM

If it was already a known fact I would not have made a poll.

Do we want to find out? Then I propose an experiment to our brave CF guitar builders somewhat along the lines of the Taylor shipping pallet guitar.

Instead of carbon fiber use any old rags you can find, then infuse that with your resin recipe and finish the guitar as you normally would.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Old 05-29-2023, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
If it was already a known fact I would not have made a poll.

Do we want to find out? Then I propose an experiment to our brave CF guitar builders somewhat along the lines of the Taylor shipping pallet guitar.

Instead of carbon fiber use any old rags you can find, then infuse that with your resin recipe and finish the guitar as you normally would.
If ‘any old rags’ would do, why would a manufacturer use expensive CF? It’s not just filler material.

I’m reminded of Yamaha’s experiments with bamboo guitars a couple of decades ago (or maybe longer). They made some very pretty looking acoustics out of strips of bamboo (as there’s no such thing as ‘sheet’ bamboo) - but there was so much glue required to hold them together, that they really didn’t sound very good.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-29-2023, 05:20 PM

I voted for carbon fiber, because the properties of the fabric have much to do with the final strength, internal damping, stiffness and therefore tone. For example, I own a Blackbird Lucky 13 made with CF and have played several of their ekoa (linen fabric) instruments like the Savoy and El Capitan, and own a Farallon ekoa ukulele. That is one example of the same builder using two different composites at different times. Rainsong also used an all-woven material for their Classics, then switched to a mix of glass fiber and carbon fiber for their Hybrid series. There were tonal differences to be sure, but the results were more alike than radically changed.

Wood is a composite material too -- cellulose fibers embedded in a lignin/resin matrix, versus carbon or glass or fabric fibers in a polyurethane or epoxy resin matrix.
Like RP, I'd go for a third choice of "who knows"?
Old 05-29-2023, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Am I "mis-remembering" that some (probably few) e-koa owners have reported issues with the construction on their Blackbird guitars? This is not meant as any kind of knock on Blackbird; I've played a Savoy and thought it was a nice guitar. The e-koa is a flax linen base rather than carbon fiber. The e-koa has already been welcomed on this sub-forum.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:41 PM

I think there would be little question carbon fiber would be the strongest, they make airplanes out of it. But a guitar would not have to be that strong, but I like that it is.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-29-2023, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

In Minnesota, recreational marijuana is about to be legalized. Maybe some entrepreneuring soul will decide to make guitars from hemp and use resin from all the bongs that will be fired up later this summer. It will be straight out of a Cheech and Chong movie.

I have already suggested to the rest of our condo association board that we invest in junk food vending machines to help with the cost of keeping the association financially sound. Personally, I have no desire to imbibe in either pot or junk food.

Anyway, back to the question - is the magic in the resin or the carbon fiber material? My answer - the question is best posed to those who work with this stuff - the experts. Over the course of developing expertise in my own career, I also came to recognize how little I know about so many other fields.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-30-2023, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
In Minnesota, recreational marijuana is about to be legalized. Maybe some entrepreneuring soul will decide to make guitars from hemp and use resin from all the bongs that will be fired up later this summer. It will be straight out of a Cheech and Chong movie.

I have already suggested to the rest of our condo association board that we invest in junk food vending machines to help with the cost of keeping the association financially sound. Personally, I have no desire to imbibe in either pot or junk food.

Anyway, back to the question - is the magic in the resin or the carbon fiber material? My answer - the question is best posed to those who work with this stuff - the experts. Over the course of developing expertise in my own career, I also came to recognize how little I know about so many other fields.

Tony
Tony, LOLROTF!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-30-2023, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Am I "mis-remembering" that some (probably few) e-koa owners have reported issues with the construction on their Blackbird guitars? This is not meant as any kind of knock on Blackbird; I've played a Savoy and thought it was a nice guitar. The e-koa is a flax linen base rather than carbon fiber. The e-koa has already been welcomed on this sub-forum.
No, you are not mis-remembering this. I do recall seeing a post from a guy in (I think) either Singapore or Shanghai whose e-koa guitar fell apart in the humidity. I suspect that Blackbird would have likely addressed the issue with some modification to the formulation, but I don't know that for a fact.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-30-2023, 07:31 AM

Now that you mention it, I remember that episode too. I recall that he was mostly ticked off about a lack of warranty support from across the world, ie: free shipping both ways and repairs. Blackbird has never claimed to be "...totally impervious to heat or humidity...." nor have the other CF makers either. Impervious is different from resistant or durable. But not long afterward they started offering a finish on their instruments - for a considerable upcharge. Satin is $395 and gloss is $695. Or maybe I just noticed that option after the extreme humidity issue came up?

The basic ekoa instruments have no finish. My Farallon ukulele has not been a problem over the last five years, but I don't subject it to extremes of moisture or heat. It has seen plenty of sweat from playing at luaus in the summer, but that wipes off just fine, leaving no damage that is perceptible. I would not play it on a floaty in the pool though, or take it kayaking without a dry bag.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:11 PM

Hi Captain Jim,
I own the first Blackbird Savoy sent out to a customer and I have never had any problem with it's construction. It is a GREAT guitar!
Barb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber