The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 09-13-2022, 10:12 AM
RJVB RJVB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Atheos Mons
Posts: 1,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snissors1971 View Post
This crap speak is highly concentrated in "reality" tv programming. But I hear it spreading into the real world. Particularly in the younger generations.
I mean errrrr, you know, I mean ?

Probably doesn't help that so many of the songs they listen to have lyrics that are so electronically altered they don't sound like speech anymore.

What gets on my nerves too is how so often parts of sentences (that should be affirmative) are inflected so they sound like questions.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Edit: I know vocal fry bothers some people but that might also be a sign of the times.
Had to look that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register
Vocal fry is thought to have become more common among young female speakers of American English in the early 21st century, with the style of speaking being considered "hesitant, nonaggressive, and informal but also educated, urban-oriented, and upwardly mobile".
Funny how this is supposed to come across as hesitant; at least western continental Europe it will more likely be seen as self-asserted, part of the "come across as self-assured" image so many Americans give themselves that you can usually pick them out of group photos. Hesitant would be the question-thing I mentioned above ... and to me that definitely not suggest "educated"...
__________________
Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Dud McLemon: Cordoba Fusion 14 Maple (China, 20??)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

Last edited by RJVB; 09-13-2022 at 10:20 AM.
  #92  
Old 09-13-2022, 12:54 PM
snissors1971 snissors1971 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I mean errrrr, you know, I mean ?

Probably doesn't help that so many of the songs they listen to have lyrics that are so electronically altered they don't sound like speech anymore.

What gets on my nerves too is how so often parts of sentences (that should be affirmative) are inflected so they sound like questions.
Yes! The robotic sounding vocals in music from all of the electronic alteration. Great one! It would be ok here and there in a few songs. Unfortunately it is completely over-used.

I agree with the improper inflection too. When you are making a statement, make a statement! Don't make it sound like a question. So annoying.
  #93  
Old 09-13-2022, 01:18 PM
FrankHS FrankHS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Empty courtesy is one thing that bugs me somewhat, but that could be a cultural thing. When someone I don't know asks me, "How are you?" I generally sidestep the fake concern about my wellbeing by simply saying "Hello" back. It gets trickier ...
Yep. I have begun to just say,
"Age appropriate."
It doesn't work in formal situations, of course.
  #94  
Old 09-13-2022, 08:00 PM
Horsehockey Horsehockey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snissors1971 View Post
Yes! The robotic sounding vocals in music from all of the electronic alteration. Great one! It would be ok here and there in a few songs. Unfortunately it is completely over-used.

I agree with the improper inflection too. When you are making a statement, make a statement! Don't make it sound like a question. So annoying.
Just wait until the world of artificial intelligence (AI) gets a firm grip on music. Well be moved to tears listening to a song only to find that it was created and performed by an algorithm. Its coming. 😵*💫
__________________
Bill

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
  #95  
Old 09-14-2022, 04:15 AM
RJVB RJVB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Atheos Mons
Posts: 1,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post

"Age appropriate."
It doesn't work in formal situations, of course.[/SIZE]
I've long since learned to know who asks "how are you" with genuine interest. In that case I'll typically reply "not worse than strictly necessary". In all other cases, I'll just return the question (I think I originally picked that up from a "how to be so british" thingy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
Well be moved to tears listening to a song only to find that it was created and performed by an algorithm. Its coming. 😵*💫
You don't say?
__________________
Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Dud McLemon: Cordoba Fusion 14 Maple (China, 20??)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
  #96  
Old 09-14-2022, 05:36 AM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 8,279
Default

My vent/rant today is the increasing challenge to operate with facts. It is a challenge in the work world let along in realms I'll not go to here. My circle of associates who work in infrastructure, security, finance, and logistics don't just work with data but have eyes on us, checks and balances and/or audits. More and more people dig in with opinions against fact and I think it is a growing problem in lots of places.

The complications of staffing make it worse. People who should be told to shut their pie holes without anything good to support an opinion get their space for fear they might work elsewhere.

Beyond the lack of respect for solid info and expertise, I think this is an element growing problems in our economy. A scenario that is behind delays, shortages and higher costs.

Maybe this is overall tied to shortages of skills and staff or "Peter principle", but there is no doubt I see challenges to move complicated matters at good speed. Associates in a lunch and learn group I'm in feel much the same.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
  #97  
Old 09-14-2022, 08:18 AM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 19,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
I like this way to describe it: "A turn signal is supposed to signal your intentions, not you're accomplishments".
How often humor is sadly so very true

My vent is about the decline of common courtesy and increase in rude driving behaviors and the apparent lack of even simple objective logistical thinking.
Beside the obvious texting while driving both rude to other drivers and extremely dangerous .............................

At the self serve gas station the increase in incidence of people pumping their gas then exiting the vehicle to into the store, leaving the vehicle to block the pumps .

And there was a recent thread by someone who was angered because in crowded parking lot, when they were just sitting in their vehicle and not exiting the space. Someone yelled at them for doing so . And were they completely oblivious as to how rude that behavior is ( and apparently believed they were justified in that lack of common courtesy by stating " It's my parking space until I pull out" )................. what a world
__________________
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.6 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM,,2TB SSD storage,Radeon Pro 5700 XT16GB Ventura 13.2.1
  #98  
Old 09-14-2022, 04:22 PM
ozzman ozzman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Whatever biodegradable material they used to replace the packaging of rice, and the thinner paper bags flour is sold in, that continues to be sealed of/glued close with the same old methods/glue. Making it impossible to open them without tearing them apart...
Lol, I have trouble with cereal boxes and the plastic bags inide gota use scissors. I could open cereal when I was 5.
  #99  
Old 09-15-2022, 04:48 AM
RedJoker RedJoker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,969
Default

People on the phone that then try to include me in the conversation, even though I can't hear the person on the line. If you're looking at me, how can I tell if you're talking to the person on the line or me? If you want me to be part of the conversation, use the speaker phone so we can all hear each other.
__________________
Original music here: Spotify Artist Page
  #100  
Old 09-15-2022, 04:53 AM
Murphy Slaw Murphy Slaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 2,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Lol, I have trouble with cereal boxes and the plastic bags inide gota use scissors. I could open cereal when I was 5.
They're just doing that to make us feel weak.

Doesn't fool me either...
__________________
The Murph Channel

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
  #101  
Old 09-15-2022, 06:39 AM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 8,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
How often humor is sadly so very true

My vent is about the decline of common courtesy and increase in rude driving behaviors and the apparent lack of even simple objective logistical thinking.
Beside the obvious texting while driving both rude to other drivers and extremely dangerous .............................

At the self serve gas station the increase in incidence of people pumping their gas then exiting the vehicle to into the store, leaving the vehicle to block the pumps .

And there was a recent thread by someone who was angered because in crowded parking lot, when they were just sitting in their vehicle and not exiting the space. Someone yelled at them for doing so . And were they completely oblivious as to how rude that behavior is ( and apparently believed they were justified in that lack of common courtesy by stating " It's my parking space until I pull out" )................. what a world
The loss prevention cameras and staff in our stores offer a lot of to me fascinating insights on the sort of behavior in your post and this thread. They see a lot of poor behavior including that occurs in our stores, the parking lots, crosswalks and stop signs.

Who behaves poorly might surprise many. The perception is a lot of poor behavior is from lower demographics, younger people, minorities and men. Reality is a lot of horrible behavior comes from higher demographics and those who often do the pointing and judgements.

Putting in another major camera system upgrade is a fresh round of reminders. We should fear the unhappy looking overweight middle aged male and woman with fake blond hair as much or more than a young minority male. The cameras on cross walks and stop signs show any fear of large pickups, large SUVs, Cadillac sedans and BMW sedans is legitimate.

My feeling is fear drives lots of poor behavior we are complaining about. Much of that fear is unfounded. It seems maybe more people need to be engaged in healthy social and physical activities to possibly improve things. At least that helps me.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
  #102  
Old 09-15-2022, 06:52 AM
RJVB RJVB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Atheos Mons
Posts: 1,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Who behaves poorly might surprise many. The perception is a lot of poor behavior is from lower demographics, younger people, minorities and men. Reality is a lot of horrible behavior comes from higher demographics and those who often do the pointing and judgements.
I think we all know that (except those of us wearing blinkers...)

Quote:
My feeling is fear drives lots of poor behavior we are complaining about. Much of that fear is unfounded.
"Funny" you say that; I've been thinking the same thing reading recent threads about meeting in safe places for selling/trading guitars...
I just see it's been 20 years since "Bowling for Columbine", and Moore's observation about the US's culture of fear is still as actual and accurate as ever (to me as an outsider).
__________________
Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Dud McLemon: Cordoba Fusion 14 Maple (China, 20??)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
  #103  
Old 09-15-2022, 07:34 AM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 8,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I think we all know that (except those of us wearing blinkers...)



"Funny" you say that; I've been thinking the same thing reading recent threads about meeting in safe places for selling/trading guitars...
I just see it's been 20 years since "Bowling for Columbine", and Moore's observation about the US's culture of fear is still as actual and accurate as ever (to me as an outsider).
Somehow we need to be succeed at encouraging people to be bold and social.

It was insightful to be a board member where we have a shooting range. Rules were made that it would only be for biathlon. The proximity to the city created new memberships from classic US gun culture. Some new members found they had to be biathlon participants and not just show up at a shooting range. It was overall positive for some. They realized how bad they really were with guns, got in the club aspect, and also a social scene with a big mix of demographics.

The critical element in it was not just shooting or security from the guns but the confidence and security from the overall activity. Some people who pursued the physical and mental fitness needed got some far more important gains.

A general wellness activity or program whether you do it formally or on your own might be a best step for improvements. With or without a Fitbit or Apple Watch for the nudge, people doing the easy to achieve daily goals of activities and movement would likely create a small revolution.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
  #104  
Old 09-15-2022, 11:30 AM
KenL's Avatar
KenL KenL is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: High Rockies
Posts: 4,008
Default

You know what really grinds my gears? Dodge pickup trucks, that's what.

There, I said it.

I was down in town this morning running errands, which included getting gas and running through the quarter car wash. Both are right by the highway, speed limit 35 mph there in town.

I counted 7 incredibly LOUD Dodge pickups that drove by, most with their foot in it, going too fast and all were incredibly LOUD. Seems like they all had a bazooka for a tailpipe. Some had two. And did I mention they were all incredibly LOUD?

I don't get it. Driving one of those things would get real old, I would think.
__________________
1981 Guild D-46
2012 Collings CJ Mh SS
2013 Custom Taylor 516
  #105  
Old 09-15-2022, 11:44 AM
RJVB RJVB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Atheos Mons
Posts: 1,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I don't get it. Driving one of those things would get real old, I would think.
Probably not if you have (or rather, lack) something you need to compensate for ... besides, loud pipes are supposed to save lives, no? That might actually be true in the case of such monsters driven by rednecks who can probably barely see over the bonnet

Another thing that always gets me is parents who let their dogs bark incessantly ... or their kids screams their lungs out while playing. I was brought up with my parents' golden rule never to bother "the others", be it the neighbours or people in a restaurant, train, hotel or wherever. Making music was the only exception allowing me to make noise, but even that was with windows and doors closed, and not after 22h.
I didn't exactly need this as motivation to engage more in intellectual or creative activities as a way of having fun, but I realise it could have worked that way
__________________
Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Dud McLemon: Cordoba Fusion 14 Maple (China, 20??)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=