The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-07-2023, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

The APSE model has the satin finish vs the all gloss which results in a louder more responsive guitar. Imo
Old 06-07-2023, 10:09 AM

While I have played the APSE and the OM models at different times, there was never an opportunity to play both side by side. I can see woven fabric versus unidirectional fiber top making a tone difference, but not glossy versus satin paint. If I were to buy another new guitar, it would be an APSE. It checks off all the boxes I want these days, ie: short scale and smaller body.

My 10,000th post, a five-digit certification that I have wasted way too much time here!
Old 06-07-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile640 View Post
Thank you so much for your insight. I love the look of the 25th anniversary black ice model. Is it as responsive as the concert om and how does the back of the neck feel in comparison to the satin finish and how much difference is there with the pickups? Definitely debating between that model and the concert om.
I've never played the Black Ice model, but I'm pretty sure that the responsiveness comes from how light and stiff and strong carbon fiber is. I would expect the Black Ice to be every bit as responsive.

Given that RainSong's main characterization of the unidirectional top on the Concert models is that it makes the tone "warmer" and "woodier," I would expect that the "carbon fiber tone" would probably be a bit more pronounced with the Black Ice.

No idea about the finish on the neck—I've only played the gloss. I would expect the performance of the pickups to be identical.

Hope to welcome you to the club soon!
Old 06-07-2023, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
The APSE model has the satin finish vs the all gloss which results in a louder more responsive guitar. Imo
Satin finish should be a slightly lighter finish which could result in a touch more volume than a guitar with a gloss finish.

Al Pettaway states that main reason he specified a satin finish on the APSE is because when he performs with an APSE, reflected stage lighting is a lot less bothersome to his eyes.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-07-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for your insight. I love the look of the 25th anniversary black ice model. Is it as responsive as the concert om and how does the back of the neck feel in comparison to the satin finish and how much difference is there with the pickups? Definitely debating between that model and the concert om.
The Concert Series tops are the thinnest and most responsive tops that Rainsong makes. Rainsong even says as much. If you’re having a hard time deciding between different models, I’ll offer my feedback for what it’s worth. Ultimately, what YOU want and like is what’s important.

IMHO, the differences in tone between the tops are subtle. I’ve got 4 Rainsong guitars - 1 Black Ice Top (25-Year Anniversary), 2 Concert Series Top (Al Petteway Signature and CH-OM1000NS), 1 Weave Top (WS-1000 Reissue). Each one is played a lot. I can’t tell you which one is my favorite. I like all of them. I will try to compare / contrast what I have and am familiar with:

Disclaimer / Context:

First off, I am mostly a fingerstyle player. I have a light touch. All of the guitars I own project and respond well to a light touch. Otherwise, I wouldn’t own them. I used to have a home studio. My friends and I spent a lot of time recording / experimenting with different mics, mic positions, preamps, guitar body styles, top woods, etc... It was a lot of fun.

I can be a bit nit-picky. I notice things. I can hear differences that a lot of other people don’t. This is both a blessing and a curse. Last year, Aaron Short posted an “Are These Guitars Carbon or Wood” blind sound test YouTube video of three guitars. The goal was to identify which was the wood guitar. I identified the carbon fiber guitar with carbon top, carbon fiber guitar with wood veneer / carbon top, and the wood guitar.

Tops:
———

I think the Concert Series tops are a little louder and maybe “warmer” than the other tops. Of the two Concert Series topped guitars I own, the CH-OM1000NS has a warmer / darker tone. Supposedly, that is due to the hybrid carbon fiber / fiberglass back and sides. The Al Petteway Signature is “woody” sounding but not as dark as the CH-OM1000NS.

The Black Ice top 25-Year Anniversary model has a brighter treble response than my guitars with the Concert Series top. It’s a subtle difference though. I would never describe the treble response as thin. The offset sound hole on the 25-Year Anniversary gives it an accentuated bass response - at least from the perspective of the player.

The WS-1000 Reissue is my most recent Rainsong guitar. Most of my guitars are OM-size. Years ago I sold my dreadnaught guitars because of ergonomic issues with my shoulder. At first I wondered if I’d have problems with the larger body size of the WS-1000, but I have been pleasantly surprised. This guitar has an amazing tone. It’s very responsive. It’s loud and responds well to a light touch too! I think the Weave top is similar tonally to Black Ice top. The treble notes are brighter but not thin sounding.

Pickups:
————-

The Al Petteway Signature and 25-Year Anniversary model guitars come with StagePro Anthem pickups that combine a piezo transducer with an internal microphone. My WS-1000 Reissue and OM-1000NS guitars have StagePro Element pickups with just a piezo transducer. I prefer the flexibility / tone of the StagePro Anthem pickups.

Neck:
———

My WS-1000 Reissue guitar has the N1 neck with no truss rod. I’ve never had to adjust the action. My other Rainsong guitars have the NS neck (12-fret version of the N2 neck). I alternate between the different guitars with no problem. I can’t say I prefer one neck type over the other.

Finish:
———-

My Al Petteway Signature guitar has a satin finish throughout - including the neck. I love the copper sunburst color! My other Rainsong guitars have a glossy finish throughout - including the neck. I alternate between the different guitars with no problem. I may have a slight preference for the non-glossy neck.

I recommend that you talk to Dave at Rainsong if you have more questions. He’s their customer service rep. I talked to him when I picked out my guitars and he was helpful and willing to answer all my questions.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. We could do a FaceTime or something like that and I could play my guitars / talk about them with you.

Last edited by Markcarl; 06-08-2023 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

My APLE fills my CF fingerstyle eeds quite nicely, amplified or not. It also flatpicks well, for me. It’s close to the size and feel of a typical classical body.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:18 AM

Thank you everyone for your insights. I’m going to go with the concert om but get the anthem pickup upgrade on it. All of you have been very helpful as has Dave at Rainsong.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

I suggest getting the N1 neck on your order. Unless you are dead set on a 12 fret.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Of all my acoustics, the one I play most often is the RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret, black with the unidirectional Carbon Top. The tone is clear and resonant, it responds to the lightest touch, and has incredible headroom when strummed intensely. Although the neck initially felt a little more bulky then what I was accustomed (my 00-18 or Taylor), it was an easy adjustment and is very comfortable to play. It also has the lowest action of any of my acoustics, with zero buzzing.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-10-2023, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

All of the above.

RainSongs come with a 20" radius neck and a 1 3/4 width at the nut. That should make it closer to a classical guitar than most other acoustics (carbon or not).
Old 06-10-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
All of the above.

RainSongs come with a 20" radius neck and a 1 3/4 width at the nut. That should make it closer to a classical guitar than most other acoustics (carbon or not).
Nice, I like flatter fretboards. Im wondering whether a capo intended for classical would be a better choice for a RS.
Old 06-10-2023, 12:05 PM

Congrats! I hope you post a picture of your new guitar!
Old 06-10-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcarl View Post
Congrats! I hope you post a picture of your new guitar!
I most definitely will. Looks like it will ship on Monday. I’ll probably make a ngd thread.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nice, I like flatter fretboards. Im wondering whether a capo intended for classical would be a better choice for a RS.
The Dunlop Pivot capo I use works great on my RainSong, and all of my other acoustics, too.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/pivot-capo-gun-metal/
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-10-2023, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
The Dunlop Pivot capo I use works great on my RainSong, and all of my other acoustics, too.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/pivot-capo-gun-metal/
I picked up one of these on a whim at GC a couple of months ago - it was on clearance for $15.

It’s an excellent capo, and well worthy of consideration. Very smooth mechanism, and that little pivoting foot really seems to help locate the capo on the neck securely.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber