The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-31-2023, 06:53 AM

No, they are not. And, I hear CD’s are making a comeback.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:02 AM

I have a question.

If a person has no wallet, and is unconscious, and their phone is locked, or was dropped or stolen/lost when they became unconscious.

How are they to be identified?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-31-2023, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Here's a public service announcement concerning phones and billfolds. Label the contacts in your phone as Wife and her name or son or daughter and their name. By doing this the police or ER people can contact your family quickly if they are not present and you are incapacitated. My daughter works in an ER. They can't do some things without permission and without it the care one gets may be inhibited.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-31-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Here's a public service announcement concerning phones and billfolds. Label the contacts in your phone as Wife and her name or son or daughter and their name. By doing this the police or ER people can contact your family quickly if they are not present and you are incapacitated. My daughter works in an ER. They can't do some things without permission and without it the care one gets may be inhibited.
Doesn’t work so well if you set up a password to open your cellphone.
That’s a pretty common security practice.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-31-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
That's what I was wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-31-2023, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I'm running out of "buts" in my quest to justify carrying a good old fashioned leather trifold wallet. Don't need cash. CCs all on the phone. (even cash is essentially in my phone now). our state is considering electronic IDs and drivers licenses. have 10,000 photos in my phone (and only 8 in my plastic fan display). There's only one thing I used to carry in my wallet that won't go into a phone (and I won't mention what that is), but as an old married man, that's now a moot point. Anyone else giving up the wallet all together?
No, as I still carry my two credit cards, a couple hundred in cash, and physical drivers license (in 1869 Wyoming was the first state to allow women to vote but since that time, it has fairly consistently struggled to go progressively backwards)

BUT ever since I realized the my traditional back pocket wallet was in fact contributing my back discomfort when driving I switched years ago to a "Smallet" from Duluth Trading Company. Which is single non folding leather wallet with 4 open top slots =one for driver license on one side, one for cash in the middle, and a two slots on the other side for CC etc

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-31-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I have a question.

If a person has no wallet, and is unconscious, and their phone is locked, or was dropped or stolen/lost when they became unconscious.

How are they to be identified?
No different than if I go swimming or running. I'm at a much higher risk of injury / becoming unconscious but I'm not carrying my wallet on those outings.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:32 PM

Of all my friends and acquaintances, I don't know a single guy who doesn't carry a wallet, regardless of age or station in life..just sayin'...
Old 01-31-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
My phone lets me put a custom message on the lock screen -- any text I want. I put my wife's mobile number as an emergency contact. I figured all phones would allow this nowadays, but maybe not.

Still, an emergency contact in the wallet isn't a bad idea, a phone could get broken.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Interesting that we were talking about it this weekend. Today we were downtown Palm Springs doing a little shopping and several of the stores had signs saying no mobile payments. My wife was at my mercy.
Feels good, doesn't it?
Old 02-01-2023, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It works for those that don't though ... right?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-01-2023, 08:18 AM

Maybe it's going that way, or maybe some new tech will come along and take things in another direction. I just dislike the assumption that losing direct control of your purchasing is a good thing.

Maybe everyone else has better experiences but I find places at least once a week where Apple Pay won't work, or they only take cash. Once you leave the coasts, people are not so quick to jump on new technology.

Shopping last week at my large neighborhood grocery store, the checkouts suddenly stopped accepting tap, phone, or even card transactions. Everyone panicked and there was a huge uproar. My cart was $124, and the frantic cashier was so relieved when I pulled a wad of bills out of my old-fashioned wallet and paid. That kind of stuff happens to me all the time.

I am getting rid of CDs and Vinyl, however.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Wallets and CD's

Still have a wallet and still play CDs (but only in my car, did not replace the home unit when it checked out). Even car play has dropped way off with satellite radio and streaming services. I only buy them now to support acts at a merchandise table.

I don't see myself losing the wallet. I trade with some folks who require or strongly prefer cash, and my wife insists on tipping in cash (former waitress).

I always have a rough idea of how much cash I've got on me, and feel kind of strange if it drops below a certain level.

Carrying a wallet was only an issue once. I was showering in a semi public facility and left my wallet in a backpack on a clothes hook right outside the shower stall. Not there when I emerged. Reported to the police and cancelled the credit cards.

The next morning someone turned it in to the police. It had been left in the trash right where they stole it from me. The cash was missing, but the licenses and credit cards were not. Could have been a lot worse. This was at least 20 years ago, today I would not expect to get the cards back.

I don't put it anywhere other than on my person or in one designated spot in my house. Especially not in the car.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
It works for those that don't though ... right?
Of course.
I’d be curious to know the percentage of those who use a password to unlock their phones vs, those who don’t. I’m betting it’s a pretty significant number who do seeing as how you are encouraged to do so when you set your cellphone up.
Maybe I’ll do a poll.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2023, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

I rarely carry much (if any) cash, and my only three gates to ditching my wallet are: (1.) my DL, (2.) Costco card for gas, and (3.) anywhere that doesn't accept ApplePay.

1. CA is preparing to roll out mDL later this year
2. Currently, Costco's digital membership ID is not accepted at their gas stations.
3. I don't do much in-store shopping, but more restaurants and grocery stores accept ApplePay for purchases.

Shorter version: I'm getting closer to ditching my wallet... maybe later this year.

PS - I haven't played a CD since 2005.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic