The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-30-2023, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I still carry a wallet but I use my phone to pay as much as possible. But the biggest reason I carry a wallet is all the "Loyalty" cards. Is there an app to store all of those in one place? I don't want an app for each store, just one app that stores the cards.
I have a couple of those tucked away in my Apple Wallet, but not all offer that ability. Most of the others that I use regularly (like Target, Petco, or Ace Hardware) don’t need a physical card - they just ask for my phone number for verification.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-30-2023, 07:47 AM

I've been down to a money clip that holds my DL, debit/credit/insurance cards and a tiny bit of cash for at least 5 years. Definitely no need for a big wallet...

Until I'm walking in Manhattan and see a flyer for guitar lessons...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-30-2023, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I've had a wallet with a badge in it since 1983, when I became a LEO. And an agency ID card. And a guitar pick. And cash.

I still carry a wallet with all of those things, except that now the badge says "Retired" on it. Have no plans to change at this late date.

Edit to add: I still play CDs. I painted the laundry room over the weekend, and had 6 CDs in the player. The last one ended just as I was finishing up.

Last edited by KenL; 01-30-2023 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:09 AM

I'm wary of overdependence on tech. Disruptions in service from multiple factors can shut down the entire economy. So I will always carry a wallet. Bad actors from somewhere can't control my wallet like they can my electronics.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
I'm wary of overdependence on tech. Disruptions in service from multiple factors can shut down the entire economy. So I will always carry a wallet. Bad actors from somewhere can't control my wallet like they can my electronics.
Bingo.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-30-2023, 08:22 AM

And another thing...

I heard cd's are making a comeback!

https://www.cnet.com/culture/enterta...fter-17-years/

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-30-2023, 08:25 AM

If I leave the premises, my wallet goes with me. So does my phone. You don’t have to choose one or the other. Each does things the other can’t do, and I prefer to have those options.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:58 AM

Using wallet, cash, some credit. Carrying license and other cards. No debit or iphone payments. I still like my CD's too.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

It seems like more work to not have a wallet than to have one. I'm just saying ......

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-30-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I'm running out of "buts" in my quest to justify carrying a good old fashioned leather trifold wallet. Don't need cash. CCs all on the phone. (even cash is essentially in my phone now). our state is considering electronic IDs and drivers licenses. have 10,000 photos in my phone (and only 8 in my plastic fan display). There's only one thing I used to carry in my wallet that won't go into a phone (and I won't mention what that is), but as an old married man, that's now a moot point. Anyone else giving up the wallet all together?
I've moved to a much thinner conventional wallet but the library card, and health insurance card are a bit much for the magnetic wallets that can attach to my phone.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Interesting that we were talking about it this weekend. Today we were downtown Palm Springs doing a little shopping and several of the stores had signs saying no mobile payments. My wife was at my mercy.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-30-2023, 07:36 PM

Not only do I own a wallet... I still print boarding passes.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:40 PM

Still use a land line, still have a wallet.

I do realize it is a different world, and getting more different by the day. The panhandlers and buskers here (a lot of them but not all...yet) have some device so people can scan and pass on money. Panhandlers.

Quite a few of my favorite places of business only take cash. So there ya go.

And as someone mentioned, towing places, especially out in the sticks, will only take cash. I blew my transmission 40 miles up a logging road - good thing I do always carry cash.

My lady friend, after years of bugging me, finally convinced me to get a phone. The only thing I use it for is to text her. That is it. Nothing else. I just can't see the point. I do not need it, so I do not use it. The only financial transactions I do electronically is to pay some bills. And that is with the institution that had electronic payments before anyone else in Canada. Mind you it was a dial-up directly (no internet at the time). Other than that I do not make any electronic purchases. I do not buy online.

So my wallet is not going anywhere.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-31-2023, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Did not read all the comments, but not only traditional wallets becoming extinct since everything is going digital, but wristwatches too ( maybe not jewelry type or the new internet/phone type).
Was talking to my kids about it--none of them own a traditional watch---their phone replaced watches.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Did not read all the comments, but not only traditional wallets becoming extinct since everything is going digital, but wristwatches too ( maybe not jewelry type or the new internet/phone type).
Was talking to my kids about it--none of them own a traditional watch---their phone replaced watches.
I actually went back to a simple wristwatch. I found that I was looking at my phone when I only needed to know the time. But then I would check my work email just to see if I got that response I was looking for. Oh here's another email that I can answer real quick. Which reminds me, I'm going to bug my boss about the information I'm looking for. Good, I'm all caught up and can put my phone away.

wait, what time is it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic