The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 AM

Default Looking for a particular editing software

Not sure if this exists but I figure maybe you folks might know.

I just teamed up with my brother in law (he's a decent drummer and I'm trying to be a decent guitarist). Is there some sort of software that would allow us to take a song and edit out the drumming and the rhythm or lead guitar parts? Even if we could just take all the instrumentals off of a song and leave just the vocals, that would work too.

For example say we want to play Back in Black by AC-DC. You can only get so much going with just a drummer and one guitarist. If we could create a track from the original song that had the singing or the singing and some guitar work then we could really jam along to something like that. Is something like this possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Software that will take a released recording and delete certain instruments does not exist to my knowledge. One can buy recordings of popular songs that consist of just bass guitar and drums on two separate tracks. Since the two instruments are on separate tracks, one can delete either one and add their own.

You might consider using DAW software, like GarageBand or Audacity in to which you'd import the bass guitar track then add your guitar playing and your brother in-law's drumming plus additional guitar tracks. You could even collaborate with other musicians on the internet who would add vocals, keyboard or any other instrument tracks.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Software that will take a released recording and delete certain instruments does not exist to my knowledge. On can buy recordings of popular songs that consist of just bass guitar and drums on two separate tracks. Since the two instruments are on separate tracks, one can delete either one and add their own.

You might consider using DAW software, like GarageBand or Audacity in to which you'd import the bass guitar track then add your guitar playing and your brother in-law's drumming plus additional guitar fills and eventually, vocals if you find a singer.
Thank you, this answer helps. As far as bass/drum type tracks that are similar to popular songs, what are they called? I know I've heard of backing tracks (the type that have everything but the lead guitar and are usually generic songs).
Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Looks like I may have found what I'm looking for. I found a website that has made quality tracks of popular rock songs. You can buy whatever combination of tracks from the song you like. You can get any variety of vocals, bass, rhythm, lead, drums etc etc and make your own track. So I can buy the song and leave out the drums and rhythm which is exactly what myself and my drummer would like to do.

http://www.rockmultitracks.com/index.php

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD