The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Tutorial Videos Added to the Gear Masterlist

For anyone who's missed it, the Gear Masterlist which is stickied at the top of this subforum now includes a collection of excellent videos covering a variety of topics including room treatment, recording acoustic guitar, proper monitor placement, equalization for both guitar and vocals, compression for both guitar and vocals, reverb techniques, noise reduction, and more.

While the titles of the videos may make some appear redundant, each video offers information the others do not. They are all worth watching and you might consider subscribing to the creators because they all produce valuable content on a regular basis.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-10-2021, 02:43 AM

thaks a lot for your efforts.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Very cool for you to take this on
There is a quite and array of tutorial videos out there, and range in content from the basics to fairly detailed and can be helpful for all ranges of experience

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-10-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmuz View Post
thaks a lot for your efforts.
Hopefully, the videos are helpful to some folks. I tried to strike some balance in the larger sections between being informative but not so much that the information would become overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Very cool for you to take this on
There is a quite an array of tutorial videos out there, and range in content from the basics to fairly detailed and can be helpful for all ranges of experience

"Quite an array" is an understatement. I'm not lying when I say I must have watched ...in part, at least... 100+ videos last week. For the newbie, I think the videos for each section will give them enough to understand the basics. For those of us who fall into the intermediate and above category, I think we know enough to find what we need on our own or at least to begin conversations in the Record Forum that will yield useful responses.

No doubt there are more topics that should be covered (some not requiring a whole section) and I'll add those as they occur to me. For example, aux tracks, busses, and sends is something that should be there because that's very confusing to the newbie. Hopefully, I can find videos that clearly explain the usefulness of those options rather than simply how to create them in a specific daw.

YouTube
Old 10-16-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
No doubt there are more topics that should be covered (some not requiring a whole section) and I'll add those as they occur to me. For example, aux tracks, busses, and sends is something that should be there because that's very confusing to the newbie. Hopefully, I can find videos that clearly explain the usefulness of those options rather than simply how to create them in a specific daw.
Perhaps I will try and do a generic "Usefulness of Aux, Bus, Sends" screen recording video. I'll play around with it and report back

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-16-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I must have watched ...in part, at least... 100+ videos last week. For the newbie, I think the videos for each section will give them enough to understand the basics.
Jim1960....You are Amazing!

You have very generously donated so much of your time.
I look forward to watching these videos.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Perhaps I will try and do a generic "Usefulness of Aux, Bus, Sends" screen recording video. I'll play around with it and report back
I think a clear and concise video on that topic would be extremely helpful to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post

Thanks, man! I appreciate the appreciation. I remember how difficult it was to wrap my head around many of the necessary concepts when I first started out. Twenty years later, I'm still learning stuff (normalized patch bays, for instance). I also know how frustrating it felt to want to move forward but not even knowing enough to ask the right questions.

Collectively, there's a vast wealth of knowledge in this subforum. I'm just trying to make it easier for people to access that knowledge in a way that helps them expand their skill set. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the Gear Masterlist has been up for just a year and a week and is averaging about 53 views per day (that really is better than I'd hoped for). That tells me people are using it and that makes me feel like the time I've invested has been worth the effort.

YouTube
Old 10-17-2021, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post

Can I just echo this comment. I'm a newcomer to recording and have found the sea of information difficult to navigate and sort the wheat from the chaff. Having this curated resource is amazing. Thanks for the efforts.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:32 AM

Nice! Thanks for doing that.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Can I just echo this comment. I'm a newcomer to recording and have found the sea of information difficult to navigate and sort the wheat from the chaff. Having this curated resource is amazing. Thanks for the efforts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Nice! Thanks for doing that.
I appreciate the positive responses. Much thanks!

YouTube
Old 10-17-2021, 11:26 AM

Amazing effort! Thanks, man.

Have you considered old-fashioned books as well? When I was first learning Pro Tools in about 1999, (TMI alert) I kept a PT manual parked on the toilet tank. Not only was it easier on my wallet than the Sweetwater catalog, it actually helped me learn the DAW. Like, a lot. Just recently I've been trying to get better at Logic Pro as well, and to that end I just ordered up a cheap used copy of Logic Pro X for Dummies. We'll see how that goes.

Couch Standards
Old 10-17-2021, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Amazing effort! Thanks, man.

Have you considered old-fashioned books as well? When I was first learning Pro Tools in about 1999, (TMI alert) I kept a PT manual parked on the toilet tank. Not only was it easier on my wallet than the Sweetwater catalog, it actually helped me learn the DAW. Like, a lot. Just recently I've been trying to get better at Logic Pro as well, and to that end I just ordered up a cheap used copy of Logic Pro X for Dummies. We'll see how that goes.
That's a good idea and I did the same when learning Pro Tools, not just in the beginning but I had books for various versions along the way. However, I just did some searching on Amazon and it looks like the books aren't keeping up like they used to do. There aren't many choices where there used to be a plethora.

I think perhaps a statement pointing out the book route option just to make people aware is enough. Besides, a list of specific books will go stale in a year or three as new versions of software are released.

Edit: I added this sentence to the end of the DAW description at the beginning of the list, "Once you settle on a DAW, you might think about looking for a tutorial in book form. It can be a very useful reference to have at hand (or in the lav) while learning how to use the software."

YouTube
Old 10-24-2021, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

So here just a quick first preliminary video (to test the format) about Busses, Sends and Aux Tracks
See if you think this might be something to use
If you think it needs further tweaks or format change to be more clear , or organized ,,,, I am completely open to suggestions There are a couple of stumbles in the dialog which could be smother but this is just a possible format outline if you will ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-24-2021, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So here just a quick first preliminary video (to test the format) about Busses, Sends and Aux Tracks
See if you think this might be something to use
If you think it needs further tweaks or format change to be more clear , or organized ,,,, I am completely open to suggestions There are a couple of stumbles in the dialog which could be smother but this is just a possible format outline if you will ....

Kev, I think you covered all the bases but I think explaining how something works is less effective than showing how something works. Any chance you could add some real examples showing how you create the tracks, link them to each other, show where you'd put the plugins, and then use audio to demonstrate how it all works together? I know that's a big ask but without demonstrations or examples, I'm not sure any beginner is going to follow that well.

YouTube
Old 10-25-2021, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kev, I think you covered all the bases but I think explaining how something works is less effective than showing how something works. Any chance you could add some real examples showing how you create the tracks, link them to each other, show where you'd put the plugins, and then use audio to demonstrate how it all works together? I know that's a big ask but without demonstrations or examples, I'm not sure any beginner is going to follow that well.
No I think thats doable
Let me play around and see how it goes. I'LL BE BACK

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD