The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-03-2019, 12:31 PM

Thumbs up McPherson Carbon Fiber: What's not to love?

Wondering how come there are no threads/comments (that I can find) here on these. I just got a McPherson Sable Carbon Fiber guitar and I have to say, it has blown me away, not just in typical McPherson craftsmanship and detail...but in the playability (even with medium strings rather than my usual light)...and the sound! Booming bottoms, bright highs, surprising volume, clarity and resonance, sustain equal to the best wood guitars I've owned...no wonder a lot of McP players are grabbing these for their studio recording sessions and for their live gigs. Anyone own one? Thoughts?
1983 Ovation Limited Edition
1996 Gibson J-30
2015 Kamaka Tenor Koa Uke
2010 Kamoa Tenor Flaming Maple Uke
2000 G&L Comanche
2013 Fylde Falstaff Claro Walnut B&S /Stripy Sinker Redwood Top

Old 07-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Don't know for sure but I think the price point makes them a little harder for folks to get, course now they have the price of Emeralds up in the 3 k area so maybe not.
I would agree on MP craftmanship as being the highest level, they are sticklers for precision, if they made the Sable in short scale I would already own one, but Rainsong for right now as it is short scale.
Keep hoping because if they ever make a SS I will be on it immediately! Congrats on the new guitar, I know they are great!
Old 07-03-2019, 12:49 PM

Good points. They do have the Touring model, don't know the exact specs, but would that count as short scale? And the price is a big drop down from even the larger Sable model.
1996 Gibson J-30
2000 G&L Comanche

Old 07-03-2019, 12:57 PM

IMO it is mostly access, followed by price point. I have been a fan of carbon fiber for a long time now (my first Rainsong is a 2001 and I was aware for a while before actually buying). But I cannot recall ever seeing a McPherson CF in a store. CF guitars in general are not normally stocked in most stores. When I lived in Anchorage the big store up there carried Rainsong routinely, and my local store here in Boise carries Composite Acoustics.

The only McPherson's I've ever seen in person were at the NAMM Show and at Kramster's house last year. I was duly impressed, but did not have enough time to bond with anything. Plus my quiver is already pretty full with other CF brands (Rainsong, Emerald, Blackbird, CA).
Old 07-03-2019, 12:57 PM

https://mcphersonguitars.com/carbon-series/touring/

22-2/4" scale
1996 Gibson J-30
2000 G&L Comanche

Old 07-03-2019, 01:01 PM

I find that the 22.75" scale on the CA Cargo is a bit short for my tastes, like the Touring. Similarly I didn't care for the 23.5" scale on the Taylor GS Mini. It seems like ~24" is as short as I can go with comfort.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:10 PM

I like em...a lot..hope this helps
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Their CF guitars are the least expensive of their offerings...nice... top wood is $100,00.00
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-03-2019, 07:36 PM

Background: I've owned a McPherson Touring, Blackbird Super OM, a Blackbird El Capitan, Emerald x20, & an Emerald x30.

Analysis: the McPherson (a 2016 model, so ymmv) was without question the worst of the bunch. Didn't stay in tune, and just didn't sound like a premium instrument.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
Background: I've owned a McPherson Touring, Blackbird Super OM, a Blackbird El Capitan, Emerald x20, & an Emerald x30.

Analysis: the McPherson (a 2016 model, so ymmv) was without question the worst of the bunch. Didn't stay in tune, and just didn't sound like a premium instrument.
The first McPherson CF model that was similar to the Cargo, but not yet a real product, I played some years ago and absolutely disliked. Then, there were the models that bore the name of the guy who designed them, a Michael ??? (I can't remember his name). I thought those were rather crappy too. I know that these have gone through a number of revisions over the years. From what I understand, and maybe this is just another stupid urban legend for all I know, apparently Ellis Seal (the developer of the Cargo and founder of CA Guitars) got involved in the decent McPherson CF models such as the Touring.

I currently own two Tourings that are the honeycomb model with the gold EVO frets and gold Schaller tuners, the version that (in my opinion) they finally got right. I bought one early this year or very late last year, and the other just two months or so ago. Both are excellent quality and sound quite good. I may seem rather harsh in my opinion about these, but I am not surprised by anybody finding an older version to be less than stellar. To me, they are what the Cargo would have become, had the same level of R & D and care in building been put into them. I keep one in standard tuning and the other in a variety of open tunings. I have always liked the 22 3/4" scale, the wide fretboard, and the small body size on both the Cargo and the McPherson.

If I were looking to buy a McPherson Touring, I would insist on a current model just like those I have. Because these models went through a series of changes, I can believe that at some earlier point, they were not yet up to snuff, though I couldn't tell you how far back that might be. I just waited until they were available locally so I could try them personally before buying. When I found what I wanted, I went for it and have no regrets.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-04-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The first McPherson CF model that was similar to the Cargo, but not yet a real product, I played some years ago and absolutely disliked. Then, there were the models that bore the name of the guy who designed them, a Michael ??? (I can't remember his name). I thought those were rather crappy too. I know that these have gone through a number of revisions over the years. From what I understand, and maybe this is just another stupid urban legend for all I know, apparently Ellis Seal (the developer of the Cargo and founder of CA Guitars) got involved in the decent McPherson CF models such as the Touring.

Tony
"Kevin Michael"... I have a proto type and I like it, played the KM and liked it... have the same model as you now..only one though ...and like it a lot..have the Sable and love it.. ( Both the Touring and Sable are latest models)... and yes Ellis was involved

Last edited by kramster; 07-04-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:44 AM

Isn't this where I chime in with some negative remark about the unconventional looks to my Martin and Fender trained eye and offend everyone?

The Cargo is the Stratocaster of acoustic guitars. Really cool looking.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-04-2019, 06:33 AM

I have a carbon touring in lost camo pattern finish. Bought it for when I travel and/or playing outside. Love its craftsmanship and sound. The wooden line is like no other in sound,beauty and overall craftsmanship.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Isn't this where I chime in with some negative remark about the unconventional looks to my Martin and Fender trained eye and offend everyone?

The Cargo is the Stratocaster of acoustic guitars. Really cool looking.
There is just something about the Cargo, that no matter what else comes along - these things are keepers. I have thought about selling one or more of mine since getting the Touring, but I just can't. The Cargos are unique in their own way and definitely keepers.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
"Kevin Michael"... I have a proto type and I like it, played the KM and liked it... have the same model as you now..only one though ...and like it a lot..have the Sable and love it.. ( Both the Touring and Sable are latest models)... and yes Ellis was involved

It could be that the quality from guitar to guitar was variable, though with McPherson that would seem improbable. Because a number of folks have discussed/complained about neck angle issues with the original Cargos, and knowing that The Podium sent several back due to quality issues, we know this can be an issue. A number of us have Cargos from that era that are perfectly fine.

I am glad for you that your earlier McPherson specimens are all good. It would be a real bummer to have paid that kind of money for something still in the process of becoming what it should be, and the earlier specimens I played were definitely that. The Touring guitars that I previously described, that I currently own, are good enough that future improvements would not warrant replacing what I have. If I had the earlier instruments that I had played and disliked, they would be gone in a flash and replaced by what I currently have.

I find it interesting that, though the Touring (in my opinion) represents what the Cargo could have become had its evolution continued, the Cargo is still a fine instrument in its own right and well worth keeping despite the introduction of the Touring in its current state.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon, carbon fiber, mcpherson, sable