The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
IMO, Fender acoustics are right in line with Yamaha.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 08-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Just because I don't own one doesn't mean I don't desire one. Like I said, 3 in the top 10 speaks volumes.
This only tells us volumes about your likes and dislikes, which are just as valid as the next guys, but if you did a poll here I don't think Fender acoustics would rank that high. Doesn't matter, the OP will find out what he likes.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-23-2017, 10:30 PM

You may be able to find one of the new Fender acoustics that's a pretty nice guitar, however, as you should have noted from this thread... Fender is not a brand that is generally associated with excellent acoustic guitars. When it comes to Strats and Tells, they're awesome. For acoustics? I'd move on from that.

I don't see the sense in buying a Fender acoustic - if you ever want to sell it, you might have a hard time even giving it away. The smart money would be to look at Yamahas, Eastmans, lower priced Martins, Taylors, and Larrivees. The new Ibanez acoustics are really looking and sounding great, as well! I would choose from any of these different options long before looking at a Fender acoustic, myself. You are quite likely to get a much better acoustic guitar that, if you decide to sell it, would be a better bet.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just because I don't own one doesn't mean I don't desire one. Like I said, 3 in the top 10 speaks volumes.

IMO, Fender acoustics are right in line with Yamaha. Great guitar for the money.
Neither statement has been my experience. I've never played a Fender acoustic that I'd even rate as "good" let alone claim they're as good as Yamahas. Even in their low end models, Yamaha displays a consistency that is well above what Fender produces.

At any rate, all this discussion looks like it may be for nothing since the OP appears to have gone seeking confirmation elsewhere.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-24-2017, 08:50 AM

For all we know the Fender Acoustics ARE Yamahas.

They are probably outsourced.

Unless Fender has detailed where they are coming from no one can know. We know they're not coming from Corona or from Fender's mexican factory.

It could be some parallel operation by Squier too, that'd make sense I guess.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
This only tells us volumes about your likes and dislikes, which are just as valid as the next guys, but if you did a poll here I don't think Fender acoustics would rank that high. Doesn't matter, the OP will find out what he likes.
And if you polled those who responded negatively and asked how many had actually played a Fender acoustic that was produced in the last, say, ten years, you'd probably hear crickets (assuming that they answered honestly). As you said, one person's likes and dislikes are as valid as then next's. There are some forum favorite guitars (which I won't mention) that do nothing for me. But I've played them. And were I inclined to diss them (I am not), at least I'd be doing it from a position of knowledge. I'm not sure the same could be said of some of the responses here. As for the OP, well, I suspect that she will view the forum as less than friendly and will not return. I could be wrong.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
For all we know the Fender Acoustics ARE Yamahas.

They are probably outsourced.

Unless Fender has detailed where they are coming from no one can know. We know they're not coming from Corona or from Fender's mexican factory.

It could be some parallel operation by Squier too, that'd make sense I guess.
They actually had a line of acoustics a few years ago that was built in their Ensenada shop. They were nice guitars, particularly for the price. Tonally, they were held back by bracing that was a bit too heavy and finish that was a bit too thick. In that regard, I thought that they were not that different from some of the similar solid wood Recording Kings at the time. But the fit and finish was better on the Fenders in my experience. With a little attention to the bracing and maybe some sanding of the finish, I suspect that they would be very nice guitars. Then again, one could get an Eastman or the like and not have to do the extra work.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkatsonis View Post
They actually had a line of acoustics a few years ago that was built in their Ensenada shop. They were nice guitars, particularly for the price. Tonally, they were held back by bracing that was a bit too heavy and finish that was a bit too thick. In that regard, I thought that they were not that different from some of the similar solid wood Recording Kings at the time. But the fit and finish was better on the Fenders in my experience. With a little attention to the bracing and maybe some sanding of the finish, I suspect that they would be very nice guitars. Then again, one could get an Eastman or the like and not have to do the extra work.
Good info but don't all the current line say they're made in China?

I'm not sure Yamaha actually contract manufactures stuff for anyone else in China so my remark was somewhat in jest, but this kind of thing is common with goods manufactured over there. Computers, car parts, bicycles, etc..

At the highest tier the US/European company builds the prototypes and does all the engineering and then sends the specs overseas and often sends workers to supervise. As you go down to cheaper and cheaper brands/products the US/Euro company does less and less of the work until you get to the point where the product sold as US/European was just picked out of a catalog, 100% chinese engineered/manufactured, and the Chinese company just applies the paint scheme/decals whatever that the customer asks for.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Good info but don't all the current line say they're made in China?
I believe that is correct. They are probably made at Grand Reward or another of the large factories.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 AM

I played a 12 fret all solid wood fender in a shop a few months ago and it was really nice. I liked it much better than the seagulls that the shop mainly carried. The only thing in there that I liked better was a MIA breedlove concert.

Still, there are lots of options in that price range and I would lean towards Yamaha. I would also lean towards a used instrument but that is preference.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM

I played a couple of the new Paramount Fenders a while back and my impression was relatively null. They were ok. But I was definitely not inspired to have one.

I do think that as an "investment" (not that one is likely to make money, rather that loss would be minimized) going with another, more respected acoustic guitar brand makes a lot more sense. And one is likely to get a bit better tone with some of the other brands, competing in a similar price range, that we've spoken about here.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

I do think that as an "investment" (not that one is likely to make money, rather that loss would be minimized) going with another, more respected acoustic guitar brand makes a lot more sense. And one is likely to get a bit better tone with some of the other brands, competing in a similar price range, that we've spoken about here.
Great point. Fender is kind of in an identity crisis.. you know they're not going to stop caring about Teles and Strats but for all we know they're going to drop acoustics next year if their current bizarre lifestyle products like Bluetooth speakers and $1200 cigarette lighters take off.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Great point. Fender is kind of in an identity crisis.. you know they're not going to stop caring about Teles and Strats but for all we know they're going to drop acoustics next year if their current bizarre lifestyle products like Bluetooth speakers and $1200 cigarette lighters take off.
Fender is pedaling hard and fast trying to keep up interest in the Strats & Teles; they're trying all kinds of different variations, hoping to keep the venerable old models alive and attractive to new buyers.

Personally, I'm set with the Strats and Teles that I need and want, so all the new versions they're pedaling out are of no interest to me. I think they see writing on the wall that new electric guitar sales aren't what they used to be, so they're trying to tap into the acoustic market, where they've never had a noteworthy presence before and won't likely ever.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I noticed you don't have a Fender listed in your signature. I guess you didn't love them as much as you're letting on.

In my neck of the woods, the most common used acoustic for sale is a Fender. I wonder why so many people are selling their Fender guitars if they are such great players? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everyoné's likes are the same but the over verdict when it comes to acoustic guitars is that Fender is very close to the bottom.

Last edited by Steadfastly; 08-26-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post

In my neck of the woods, the most common used acoustic for sale is a Fender. I wonder why so many people are selling their Fender guitars if they are such great players? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everyoné's likes are the same but the over verdict when it comes to acoustic guitars is that Fender is very close to the bottom.
But maybe its because they are an easy-to-find "name" brand at a reasonable price for a beginner, and then the beginner becomes an intermediate player and wants to move up?
Not everyone starting out finds places like acousticguitarforum.com to get opinions of people with multi-thousand-dollar guitars on hand.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fender acoustic, parlor guitar, small body, small body guitar