The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 07:18 AM

Default Fender or Fender? Advice needed:D

Dear everybody,
I am currently in the process of buying a guitar. On one hand, I really like the Fender PM-2 Standard, and I'm thinking of ordering a brand new one through an online shop, this will cost me around 520€. On the other hand, I was offered a used Fender GDO-500 SE at a price of 350€. As far as I understood, this model was issued in 2006 and nowadays is discontinued.
I like both guitars a lot, and I really don't know which one to choose. I'm a singer-songwriter, play either strumming or Nick Drake like fingerstyle.
Somebody please ease my doubts
✌Yours sincerely
Svitlana
Old 08-20-2017, 01:22 PM

IMHO, Fender would be the last on my list when looking for an acoustic. Fender acoustics don't get a lot of love here or other forums I have frequented.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
IMHO, Fender would be the last on my list when looking for an acoustic. Fender acoustics don't get a lot of love here or other forums I have frequented.
I agree, honestly I've never played an acoustic Fender that had a good sound, for 500 e you can certainly find a better guitar if you check other brands
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 08-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Fender acoustics are not great tone guitars. Why are you targeting one, the looks? The parlor sounds good but not as good as some I have heard for $700: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBOI7oyuHDc

Maybe there are some nice models that I haven't played but the NAMM Fender booth had some vids where they still sounded rather small, like I remember from my youth?

There were a lot of Fender acoustics in the music stores 50 years ago. Cool names but of the dozen I played played back then there were not any I would of taken over a Yamaha, or if your had 189$, an ovation.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I'm at a loss why anyone would want an acoustic Fender guitar.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:52 PM

didn't the guy who developed for gibson move to fender? i could be wrong. ferguson? I wouldn't buy a fender acoustic from 10 years ago but i think they are different now, but i have not played 1
Old 08-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Ren Ferguson moved from Gibson (and possibly retirement?) to Guild when it was Fender-owned. When TPG started calling the shots at Fender, they spit Guild out and sold it to Cordoba. Ren went with them on that move and built their new plant in California. I may be wrong, but believe he is "retired" again, though his name pops up with a German brand in Europe.

As to Fender acoustics, here and there are some good ones. "Spring Hill" guitars were nice (if you could find one) as were the very few Guild-made Fender acoustics that actually made it to market. Generally, if Asian-made, there might be better choices, unless a particular one you have played tugs at your heart.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:26 PM

I agree. I don't know the current conversion rates but for the budget minded I'd recommend looking at Yamaha.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HepCat11 View Post
Dear everybody,
I am currently in the process of buying a guitar. On one hand, I really like the Fender PM-2 Standard, and I'm thinking of ordering a brand new one through an online shop, this will cost me around 520€. On the other hand, I was offered a used Fender GDO-500 SE at a price of 350€. As far as I understood, this model was issued in 2006 and nowadays is discontinued.
I like both guitars a lot, and I really don't know which one to choose. I'm a singer-songwriter, play either strumming or Nick Drake like fingerstyle.
Somebody please ease my doubts
✌Yours sincerely
Svitlana
So much for someone in this thread easing your doubts...

If you like both guitars a lot, you can't go wrong. Pick whichever one you like slightly better.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ashton View Post
as were the very few Guild-made Fender acoustics that actually made it to market.
Yeah, you read very good things about the "New Hartford" Fenders. They seem to be pretty rare, though.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:07 PM

The Fender acoustics I have played in the past have not been very good, and their reputation shows that. However, I haven't played one of these new Paramount series Fenders, but they are all solid wood and even come with bone nut and saddle and ebony bridge pins.

Looks like they are trying to compete with the nicer Yamahas, Epiphone Masterbilts, and such.

They might be pretty decent guitars.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:35 PM

If you want an electric guitar, look first at Fender. If you want an acoustic, the look changes to last.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 08-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

I don't know which one is better, but what ever you do, don't get the Fender.

You'd probably do better with a Yamaha. They make several good entry point guitars.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-21-2017, 08:35 AM

I expected the replies you've seen already (sorry about that). The 'anti-Fender' guys are very vocal, so anyone with any word other than that is afraid to speak up.

I haven't played or heard either - but its really what feels right to you and what sounds good to your ears. The GDO is cedar/ovangkol and should sound very different than the PM-2 which is spruce/rosewood.
If you are going to be plugging in, then the newer Fishman in the PM-2 will likely sound better. The PM-2, if new, of course will come with a warranty, whereas the older guitar won't.
Personally, I prefer the looks of the GDO, I don't like the binding detail on the PM-2 (but that's an individual thing).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-22-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I expected the replies you've seen already (sorry about that). The 'anti-Fender' guys are very vocal, so anyone with any word other than that is afraid to speak up.

I haven't played or heard either - but its really what feels right to you and what sounds good to your ears. The GDO is cedar/ovangkol and should sound very different than the PM-2 which is spruce/rosewood.
If you are going to be plugging in, then the newer Fishman in the PM-2 will likely sound better. The PM-2, if new, of course will come with a warranty, whereas the older guitar won't.
Personally, I prefer the looks of the GDO, I don't like the binding detail on the PM-2 (but that's an individual thing).
Maybe my guitar is an exception, but I got a Fender classic design (with cutaway and electronics, not sure of the model no.) and it's got great sound and playability with light or medium gauge strings. Everybody always tells me how great it plays and sounds when they play it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fender acoustic, parlor guitar, small body, small body guitar