The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-14-2021, 08:33 PM

Default Takamine tc135sc vs Cordoba gk pro negra?

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question. These two nylon string guitars are not true classical guitars, but nylon string crossovers. I have not had the opportunity to try either. I play fingerstyle on steel strings. Two weeks ago I thought that I wanted a true classical guitar. After playing three very nice classicals, I determined that the string spacing just does not work for me. I want the sound of a classical with the playability of a steel string fingerstyle guitar. I want something I can reach around and play the 6th string with my thumb on occasion. Anyone with experience with both the Takamine tc135sc and the Cordoba gk pro negra, I would love to hear your input. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you compare the sound quality and playability of each? Both of these guitars sell for about $1800 new at this time. My budget is about $3500. I'm wondering if one of these will scratch my itch for a nylon crossover. Is there something else you recommend within my price range? By the way I often play in cgdgcd tuning.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Definitely check out Taylor. I have a cordoba c10, had a studio negra but the one I like the most is my Taylor academy nylon. Play the easiest for me as a steel string player. Probably going to sell my c10 since I have never really played it much.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:56 PM

Generally, the Cordoba brand gets good reviews in the Classical forum.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 09-15-2021, 04:32 AM

I've tried the Taylor nylon strings in the past. I'm not considering one of those right now because they don't really sound like a classical guitar to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
Definitely check out Taylor. I have a cordoba c10, had a studio negra but the one I like the most is my Taylor academy nylon. Play the easiest for me as a steel string player. Probably going to sell my c10 since I have never really played it much.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:06 AM

Don't waste time with daft import crossovers. Buy a Hanika or an Amalio Burguet. If you want easier playability but fabulous tone, get either of their flamenco offerings.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:48 AM

I played the Takamine. I was not happy with it at all. The neck profile is fine. The nut width is fine. The tone was absolute plastic like trash. It sounds like an unrefined 400$ budget nylon. It does not project worth a spit. Playing this thing unplugged is just not an option.

The GK pro is imo a much more refined instrument imo. Much better projection. Sweeter but darker tone. Its not a crossover as much as a flamenco guitar. Pretty standard Cordoba. The fit and finish varies greatly imo so make sure you try before you buy.

Kremona makes an amazing crossover in your price range.

Taylor makes some great Crossovers with radiused fret boards that have a fantastic neutral nylon tone that can be applied to many genre.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:17 AM

I looked up the Amalio Burguet, but I don't see anything about the neck profile. It appears to be a classical, not a crossover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey View Post
Don't waste time with daft import crossovers. Buy a Hanika or an Amalio Burguet. If you want easier playability but fabulous tone, get either of their flamenco offerings.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
I looked up the Amalio Burguet, but I don't see anything about the neck profile. It appears to be a classical, not a crossover.
A really good flamenco like a Burguet or a Hanika will have a really low action - And I mean better than a Gibson electric. That's the proper workshop setup for a handmade flamenco (no after purchase setup needed).
You would soon get used to the neck size. They play like butter.
They growl too when you strum them. You won't get that with a crossover. In fact a nylon crossover will sound like nothing. Not a classical or a flamenco.
The Burguet flamenco 2F is 52mm at the nut and about £1400 here in the UK new.
I'm always trying to turn people onto flamencos when they're thinking of getting a nylon string. A really good handmade one is like nothing else.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey View Post
I'll bite my tongue and just make a face. :/
Old 09-23-2021, 11:42 AM

Since I first posted this thread, I am seriously considering having Loprinzi Guitars build a crossover for me. Now I am researching different specs that I think I may want. I'm having trouble making up my mind about scale length, 12 vs 14 frets. I have even considered buying a used classical guitar and having a luthier re-profile the neck for me.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:47 PM

I live in NW Florida and I had to travel down south to Fr Lauderdale. In advance, I scheduled an appointment with Donna Loprinzi in Clearwater at her small workshop. I tried out several of her guitars and settled on specs. I am going to have her build me a hauser-style guitar with a cutaway, arm bevel, 670mm scale, 50mm nut, 16" radius fretboard, EIR and spruce, including a case. Right at the top of my previously stated budget. Should take about 6 months. It was well worth a detour to visit her on our way back to Pensacola. I am looking forward to receiving a beautiful instrument from her next spring.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical