The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-03-2021, 10:59 AM

Default My setup

I have 2.5 years old Takamine H8SS. Great guitar but curious if I need to lower its action. The setup is currently from the factory in Japan. I have a bone saddle blank bought from Takamine, if I were to have this done. My current setup is about 4mm at the 12th fret of the 6th string (from top of fret to bottom of string) and about ~1mm at the first fret, with a ~2mm bone saddle height above the bridge itself. The 1st string at the 12 fret is about 3mm. The truss seems ok, no string buzzes and the truss isn’t vibrating. Would you recommend adjustments, or leave well enough alone?

I know this topic is discussed over and over, but I’m not that expert on these matters, and I curious what others have for theirs.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:55 AM

How does it feel to you?

Those 12th fret numbers are pretty standard these days, or even a little high.
Mine are around 3.7-2.7 and could go a little lower, though it really depends
on the guitar and player.

1mm clearance at the first fret is very high, IMO. Difficult to play in the lower positions and to play in tune, I would think.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:00 PM

Default set up

The factory 'set up' is deliberately left Med/Hi..to felicitate changing[adjusting] it to be lowered..to suit the players UNIQUE musical preferences=All players are UNIQUE=so will the desired Action[String height]be also.hence no 1 set up preference suits ALL.
A] Learn to DIY it etc..or allow another to 'act on your behalf'etc.=Only then will you know'lower by how much etc etc
Would i do it=YES..without hesitation.
is there a difference now felt=Yes instantly.
the fret fingers Steer/guide ALLWAYS..resulting in the set up now found that suits etc.
Why fight the strings when the gtr can be made to play MUCH easier etc.
Does a set up make 'any' difference?YES it can transform the playing experience..it WILL be felt by the fret fingers/hand etc as well as the plectrum hand[Regardless of musical preference!]
EG-you adjust a car seat to suit accordingly=One does the same to the string height etc.-the gtr is made to be FURTHER ADJUSTED if required so PROCEED.=You won't look back!!!
Old 10-03-2021, 01:15 PM

Default My setup

I will probably have a setup done tomorrow, 10/4/21; thanks for the advice.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:57 AM

I have the Music Nomad nut slot height gauge, which recommends the following 1st fret action for classical guitars:

Low E, G - .020
A, B - .018
D, hi E - .016

Hopefully you have your own feeler gauges or something similar to help approximate that.
Old 12-29-2021, 03:59 PM

Richard,

Do you have access to an experienced luthier / technician?

I'd suggest taking it to one and have them make the necessary adjustments. If you are looking to lower the action be aware that both nuts, saddle and head stock may need to be tweaked so as not to get fret buzz.

All my guitars, both acoustic steel and nylon and my electrics are taken to a qualified luthier for setup once purchased. I walk away with an axe that is perfectly setup and playable.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:12 PM

On my guitars the first three strings are considerably lower than that:
.012, .014, .016. On one instruments the first two strings are just .010, .010, worrisome at first but no problems so far. Easy on the index finger and clear tone. - Stevo
Old 12-30-2021, 09:21 AM

how does it play and feel? that matters more than the exact number.
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 12-31-2021, 09:14 AM

Most classical players play, or attempt to play, with actions too high...IMO. Even David Russell's guitar is set at just above 3mm on the 12th fret 6th string. I know a well know university professor of guitar that tells his students, If you can't make the 3rd (G) string buzz, they your action is too high. I've used 3mm at the bass for 60 years. High actions along with high tension strings! And they wonder why one struggles with barr chords in the upper register.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
action, bridge, setup, string height