The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2021, 06:46 PM

Default Gibson Cascade-- your thoughts?

A used Gibson popped up in the local guitar shop, and it's tempting me. It's a Gibson Cascade LC-1, from the Bozeman factory. Seems to be a model from the early 2002. I've found several variations on the net, but few reviews, good or bad. This one is Cedar over Maple, with both stained a deep, dark red (most I saw pictured had bright Maple backs). A dual-source Baggs pickup is installed, with no barn door. There's a magnetic soundhole p/u - not my favorite - and apparently a second source, since there are two volume controls and a hefty circuit board inside. Haven't found that pickup dicumented, either, so it may be aftermarket.

I haven't been drawn to a Gibson in decades, but this is different. It has a small jumbo-style body, a thin but decently wide neck (11/16"), and a lot of volume and tone. New strings would probably take it to another level. By first impression, it's very comfortable to play.

This model seems to have faded into obscurity. Did any of you have one? Any idea of the value?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-30-2021, 07:24 PM

Default Gibson Cascade-- your thoughts?

I have never owned an lc-2 cascade but I have experience with the sister models. I previously owned an lc-2 Sonoma (cedar over walnut) and currently own an lc-3 caldera (cedar over Koa). I love these guitars. They are extremely comfortable to play and are surprisingly loud. The 2002 models came with a schertler bluestick pickup. No magnetic pickup, so that’s an add on. Many of the 2002 - 2003 versions have a finish issue around the bridge. If you look closely, the finish looks thick around the bridge and It creates a sort of ring around the bridge. It doesn’t affect playability and you have to look closely to see it, but it is blemish. They weren’t super popular, maybe because the wood combinations and design drew comparisons to Taylor guitar, so it may not have appealed to traditional Gibson players.

Prepandemic when you found them they were relatively cheap for a used Gibson. They changed the tone woods after 2003 and made them until 2005. Later models have a different pickup with a barn door.

They sound good and they play easy. If you like how they feel and the price isn’t super high, I don’t think you can go too wrong. I really love mine.

Last edited by Mjme123@aol. Om; 06-30-2021 at 07:32 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cascade, gibson, lc-1