The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-23-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
Looks great! I too have a few tunes from Carl Miner demos in my regular practice routine. He has a great mix of picking and strumming. I've seen a lot of progress in the past months by trying to copy his tunes. My next goal is to learn some hybrid picking, which Carl uses really effectively at times.

keep up the good work!
Just working Carl's tune out felt like a masterclass in alternate picking! I'm not sure I'll delve into the world of hybrid picking, but I'll definitely try out some more of his flatpicking stuff.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Another couple of good tools to have is Transcribe! which slows things down, can apply a tuning adjustment up and down for you, etc (like a capo) and other tweaks ...
Btw, there are several free programs if you want something to slow songs down and do those tuning adjustments.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-23-2021, 11:12 AM

Ah yes - I think I'm fine with youtube's ability to play slow in the original pitch.

But the mention of the app called Transcribe makes me think of something else. I was half intending to create tab/score for this tune, but I haven't done that before, so would probably need some tab/score software.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlwhite View Post
Ah yes - I think I'm fine with youtube's ability to play slow in the original pitch.

But the mention of the app called Transcribe makes me think of something else. I was half intending to create tab/score for this tune, but I haven't done that before, so would probably need some tab/score software.
I use GuitarPro. There are others as well.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I use GuitarPro. There are others as well.
Thanks Barry - I'll use their free trial if I get the urge to transcribe.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:45 PM

Default Transcribe for speed

Hi Tom,

I use Transcribe because it has a killer feature - you can set up a loop, start the speed at say 50%, loop it x times, then it will increase the speed by whatever increment you set it to, looping again by x times, increment by by whatever you set it to until you reach the target speed you have set.

It really works well, and gets your speed up surprisingly quickly. Worked for me on Jupiter

Cheers, Colin

PS - see my comments on your Jupiter thread sir! How's that going?
Old 03-24-2021, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxbox30 View Post
I use Transcribe because it has a killer feature - you can set up a loop, start the speed at say 50%, loop it x times, then it will increase the speed by whatever increment you set it to, looping again by x times, increment by by whatever you set it to until you reach the target speed you have set.
That sounds interesting. The other day I was thinking about looking for an app that gradually increased metronome speeds for practicing sections. Then I figured that there would be a youtube video that did what I wanted (which is almost true).

And thanks for the nudge about Jupiter - I hadn't seen your comment (but have read/replied now!).

Tom
Old 03-25-2021, 10:45 AM

Great tune, nicely played man. As others have said, keep at it, that last 20% can be hard to overcome. I was stuck on a piece 3-5% below tempo last summer and it just killed me haha! I'm sure you know about trying it 5-10bpm past your top speed (don't worry if it falls apart), then dropping back down so it feels more relaxed. It helps with that last bit.

On a more general note about bluegrass picking, I don't know if you've seen this...

Essentially when cross picking, making bigger movements helps to clear the pick out of the strings. It seems counter-intuitive, but I've found that really helpful when doing bluegrass stuff. I had struggled with the section at 0:37 before Christmas until consciously making bigger movements.

You can really see it in players like Molly Tuttle and Andy Wood.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Belsham View Post
On a more general note about bluegrass picking, I don't know if you've seen this...

...making bigger movements helps to clear the pick out of the strings. It seems counter-intuitive, but I've found that really helpful when doing bluegrass stuff...
Yeah - I've watched Troy's vids - great content of great players.

I like the point about bigger movements. I'm pretty 'happy' with the up/down runs, but the single-note-per-string and little rolls are hard. Particularly inside-inside or string-skips from outside to inside. I have felt the benefit of bigger movements at 'mid speeds' (faster than my vid, but not full speed), but wasn't sure whether the larger movements would still work at top speed. (and at 10% past top speed).

I'll re-record in the next day or two with my week's worth of progress!
Old 03-25-2021, 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=tdlwhite;6671126]That sounds interesting. The other day I was thinking about looking for an app that gradually increased metronome speeds for practicing sections. Then I figured that there would be a youtube video that did what I wanted (which is almost true).

Hi Tom,
check out Jennifer Battens tutorial at 11m14s for the looping/speed increase thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGIyiDwj2s

Really works!
Cheers, Colin
Old 03-26-2021, 05:41 PM

These were my last two practice run-throughs tonight. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting there, other times I feel like I'm making so many mistakes that I may as well start from scratch!

That's about 80% speed after three weeks of 2 to 3 hours a day. So if I slow it back down and try again, I might be looking at full speed by Christmas!

(note: the break in the uphill run is something that I have to do when playing with a metronome as either Carl adds a little extra, or I haven't quite worked out what he does correctly)

Tom
Old 03-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlwhite View Post
These were my last two practice run-throughs tonight. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting there, other times I feel like I'm making so many mistakes that I may as well start from scratch!

That's about 80% speed after three weeks of 2 to 3 hours a day. So if I slow it back down and try again, I might be looking at full speed by Christmas!

(note: the break in the uphill run is something that I have to do when playing with a metronome as either Carl adds a little extra, or I haven't quite worked out what he does correctly)

Tom
Tom, can you play anything at the 100% pace of the tune like a scale for instance without open strings? How much of the speed "resistance" is coming from your fretting hand, do you know? What's the name of the tune? Maybe I can find the tab and give it a try myself.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Tom, can you play anything at the 100% pace of the tune like a scale for instance without open strings? How much of the speed "resistance" is coming from your fretting hand, do you know? What's the name of the tune? Maybe I can find the tab and give it a try myself.
I can play most of it at full speed now. Very sloppy, with loads of mistakes, but I'd say that I can get both hands around half of it now at Carl-speed. Ignoring things like quality of tone, perfect timing etc., there's a few parts that I really haven't managed to get to speed, and that's mainly the right hand picking. My left hand is sloppy, and often inaccurate, but I'm not worried about it; it'll get there in the end.

What do you think though, keep up the 'push faster even with some sloppiness' or break it apart and start playing it slow and clean?

My right hand has much improved in a few areas since doing all this picking. I'm getting more comfortable holding the large triangle pick (primetone), and I'm definitely slowly improving at the harder parts.

I'll take another week, and post another progress video. You know, if it wasn't for recording the thing, I'd feel like I nearly had it licked. I can play it through at about 90% speed nice and sloppy (but good to my ears!). As soon as I'm trying to play it *clean* and fast while recording it, it all falls apart!

There's no tab/score for the piece (except what I've managed to cobble together myself for the first section) - I learned it straight from youtube. If I end up finishing transcribing, I'll happily share (unless that's bad form as it's not my own tune!).

Tom
Old 03-31-2021, 08:07 PM

One trick I use is to play at a lower volume - both hands relax a bit and I can play a little faster.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
One trick I use is to play at a lower volume - both hands relax a bit and I can play a little faster.
That's a great point - I have been mixing up loud/quiet playing. I find that playing quieter is more of a challenge, and forces me to make tighter/more precise movements, which seems to help when I go back to normal volume.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write