The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 01:16 PM

Default Martin Price Gouge

So... now that Martin has decided their standard models are worthy of a 27% price hike... what acoustic makers will you stimulate?
Old 04-18-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

They did nothing of the sort. They restructured their pricing so it’s just MSRP instead of the previous factory list with a separate MAP for vendors. It always was the case that vendors could discount below MAP, just couldn’t advertise it. Same thing now, they advertise at MSRP but can sell at whatever price they want. Just so happens the factory is behind on orders, so vendors are not as eager to give deep discounts. That’s a vendor decision, not Martin.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:43 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Price gouge? Where did you get that idea? Martin just did what Taylor and Gibson did long ago - get rid of MSRP. Now it simply lists MAP like all its dealers always have. The dealers are free to negotiate below MAP...just like always. With the COVID-induced inventory shortages, though, discounts like what we’re all used to are very hard to fine. Bigtime seller’s market right now. Hopefully things will get back to normal in a year or two...

Old 04-18-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM4Nats View Post
So... now that Martin has decided their standard models are worthy of a 27% price hike... what acoustic makers will you stimulate?
"Did Martin raise the price of their standard models by 27%?" would have been a much better post.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-18-2021, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I don't see where there's a perceivable price hike in any of it. All they did was eliminate the fiction of their old MSRP, and convert the lower MAP to what they now call MSRP. And dealers can still discount from that but now MSPR and MAP are one and the same thing. But it's basically 80% of what the MSRP used to be, so if you believed the old MSRP had any meaning, this would be a 20% price drop, not hike. Whether dealers are actually discounting below MSRP / MAP now is another question heavily influenced by the pandemic. Most seem not to be. They probably will again at some point after inventories fill up again...

-Ray
Old 04-18-2021, 01:56 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM4Nats View Post
Actually they did nothing of the sort. They did finally junk their archaic pricing model of MRSP-MAP- street price. Why the broken heart on your part ? Priced out of your dream guitar ?
Old 04-18-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Couldn't get any traction over at UMGF and had to try it over here?
Old 04-18-2021, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Couldn't get any traction over at UMGF and had to try it over here?
Though the same thing. Guy has been on a tear about this because he can't figure out basic math. Still hasn't found a single person that agrees with him. I'm sure he'll find another forum to take this to next.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:52 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Though the same thing. Guy has been on a tear about this because he can't figure out basic math. Still hasn't found a single person that agrees with him. I'm sure he'll find another forum to take this to next.
Imagine how his wife must feel...
Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

OK, guys... I think we've dumped on him enough.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
OK, guys... I think we've dumped on him enough.
But...but...I have a load ready.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
But...but...I have a load ready.
Oh, you're killin' me!
Old 04-18-2021, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Yes, you can’t get the price on a new Martin, but it’s not Martin’s doing. It’s the dealers and it’s not price gouging. They have limited supply of guitars, they are not discounting like they used to. I just got a new Martin GP28e. It cost me around 2700. Last year I could have gotten it for 2400. Next year, when we are back to normal, it will probably be back to 2400.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

I just bought a brand spankin’ new 2021 Martin 000-18...and it was listed at the same MAP as last years model. I didn’t get as deep a discount as I did on the last new Martin I bought (2-years ago...from MFG), but I didn’t think of that as “gouging” at all. Nobody is doing the 40% off MAP deal any more that I know of due to inventory shortages.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:44 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I just bought a brand spankin’ new 2021 Martin 000-18...and it was listed at the same MAP as last years model. I didn’t get as deep a discount as I did on the last new Martin I bought (2-years ago...from MFG), but I didn’t think of that as “gouging” at all. Nobody is doing the 40% off MAP deal any more that I know of due to inventory shortages.
If you were getting 40% off MAP you’re mucho lucky. The rest of us were getting 40% off MSRP...

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion