The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Having Problems with Word-Indexing on forum

I have always had problems with being able to Index in, my sentences on the forum. As one member put it; makes my wording looked jumbled.

As an example... these four sentences have been indexed in at least 5 to 10 spaces in. Unfortunately as you can see, they still start at the very beginning.

Sometimes it will space in..but most of the time not. Had a few complaints..haha..

Is this a function of the browser I am using? I use Firefox. Or is there some other function that I am not aware of that I need to use.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

When you say, "index in," are you referring to the left margin? If you want to change the margin, you can use the, "increase indent," button right above the edit box, but I don't think many people do that. What makes posts look jumbled to me is a lack of spacing after periods and between paragraphs.

I know the AGF and Tapatalk apps frequently show a lot of space between paragraphs. I think if you double-space between paragraphs, the apps seem to make it quadruple-spaced. I've never seen that problem with various browsers. I use Safari and Firefox and they don't seem to do that. I saw the, "complaint," you're referring to and I thought spacing between paragraphs would have helped your post.

The browsers allow you to preview and I believe the apps do not. But with apps or computer browsers, you can always edit it after submitting. Editing after the fact would allow you to increase or decrease any spacing. Not sure if that helps you...
Old 07-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Unfortunately the Indent box...does not seem to work when I submit reply. It does show (Indent) (Indent) before my first words. But still does not work.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 PM

Is this indented?
Looks like it is indeed, in my Preview. To do that, I had to first SELECT the text (drag the mouse over it), THEN hit the little "Increase indent" thingy.

It should look like "(INDENT)My text to indent(/INDENT)", not "(INDENT)(/INDENT)My text to indent (with square brackets, not parentheses that I used here).
Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Is this indented?
Looks like it is indeed, in my Preview. To do that, I had to first SELECT the text (drag the mouse over it), THEN hit the little "Increase indent" thingy.

It should look like "(INDENT)My text to indent(/INDENT)", not "(INDENT)(/INDENT)My text to indent (with square brackets, not parentheses that I used here).
Thank you guys! It now works to some degree. I have to do a variation from what both of you said.
I still get the (Indent) (Indent) And what I have to do is start typing in between the two Indents. Interesting. I wonder why I am not able to just start typing and using my spacer?
And here in this sentence, I did not use the Indent button.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Thank you guys! It now works to some degree. I have to do a variation from what both of you said.
I still get the (Indent) (Indent) And what I have to do is start typing in between the two Indents. Interesting. I wonder why I am not able to just start typing and using my spacer?
And here in this sentence, I did not use the Indent button.
Probably because posts are in HTML, which doesn't like spaces. I think it converts strings of spaces down to one single space.

FYI, the "(INDENT)" turns indenting ON, and the "(/INDENT)" turns it OFF again, which is why "(INDENT)(/INDENT)" has no effect.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I have gotten used to the non-indented, block paragraph form, probably because this is the form used in many business correspondences.

However, what drives me nuts is the one solid paragraph many employ to tell a long winded story on this and other forums.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic