The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Playing slow all the time is killing my fingers

I can't do it all the time. I've been playing slow and easy tempo stuff for at least 2 months now and I can feel the rust setting in. Even if it doesn't sound as good, playing faster things is good for you (at least for me. Ymmv)

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-07-2018, 06:24 PM

I like an up-tempo pace most of the time. Slow stuff doesn't hold my interest as a player.

It would seem that once you've achieved a certain ability to hold a quicker meter, and the challenge to move past that beckons, slower stuff almost becomes counter-productive.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I like an up-tempo pace most of the time. Slow stuff doesn't hold my interest as a player.

It would seem that once you've achieved a certain ability to hold a quicker meter, and the challenge to move past that beckons, slower stuff almost becomes counter-productive.
I'm ok with slower stuff, but I have to mix it up a bit to keep it fresh I guess.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-08-2018, 07:02 AM

Most of the time I'm playing I'm not covering published music.

These days I enjoy pushing myself to stay way ahead of the music at a quick tempo. It's usually in a through-composed impromptu manner where each new chord change, lead in/out notes, intertwined patterns, syncopation, embellishment and even a key shift has to be anticipated without breaking meter. This becomes a routine for me that's difficult to reel in to play Somewhere Over The Rainbow, though it is a fine song and melody. If I was engaged as an entertainer the opposite would be necessary to stay sharp as a cover player. For that infrequent obligation I start out with Stairway only to find the solicitation to entertain suddenly and thoroughly vaporized (works every time).

All that said, there are a few pieces that have some reverence for me. One is A Time For Us by Giovanni "Nino" Rota, specifically from Henry Mancini's instrumental scoring for the Romeo & Juliet movie (1968). Another, though somewhat repetitive, is the score for the movie Chariot's Of Fire by Vangelis. The latter's decrescendo changes are intolerant of a sloppy fretting hand. I play these and others at least weekly.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:16 AM

When I was taking piano (more than half a century ago) I had "speed drills". These were exercises that had repeating patterns that were played as fast as one's fingers could move. Not songs, exercises. No matter what music one plays, or at what tempo, it's important to maintain proficiency on the instrument and that usually comes from a structured practice regimen.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I can't do it all the time. I've been playing slow and easy tempo stuff for at least 2 months now and I can feel the rust setting in. Even if it doesn't sound as good, playing faster things is good for you (at least for me. Ymmv)
Personally I think the importance of playing at fairly drastic variations of tempo cannot be over stated. As well as using a metronome, click track, or drum machine, to play to fairly often .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 AM

I find either extreme requires a lot of concentration. Simple medium tempo songs, especially strumming, are easy enough to play that the mind starts to wander. I’m learning two fingerstyle pieces now, one is somewhat slow and requires focus to not play too fast. It also requires real nuance to get it right. The other starts at a moderate pace, speeds up, speeds up again, then slows down, and then slows to the original tempo again.... I’ve only gotten to the first change at about the 32nd bar so far. That ones going to take a while😕

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 07-11-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Personally I think the importance of playing at fairly drastic variations of tempo cannot be over stated. As well as using a metronome, click track, or drum machine, to play to fairly often .
I hear you. I thought I played slow until I paired up with a vocalist who ask me to slow down certain songs even further. That's when I realized my tempo is much the same. It's taken some work to slow down and been worth it.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I know what you mean. I've been learning fingerstyle and I've been holding a D and a C chord to get my right hand fingers going. Brutal on the fingers. But I'm making that sacrifice. Small goals at this stage but it's going well.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:29 PM

I often play fairly fast as it happens to be relatively easy for me. When I listen to recording I did in the 80s, it is basically unlistenable to me - just a breakneck jumble.

When I started analyzing my playing, I realized that a lot of timing issues aren't as noticeable at fast tempos as they are at slower tempos - off by a 16th note at 180 may not be apparent, while that 16th note at 90 can be heard even by non-musicians.

I like playing fast to 'exercise' my finger reaction time, yet I now approach slow tempos as a challenge to exercise more subtle musicianship aspects. The best is when I get to do both!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I find when I hold a chord I press down harder and harder so each string rings. It trashes my fretting hand. I know better but it always ends up happening.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-12-2018, 07:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Mixing it up is always good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write