The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Since cars are not typical places for critical listening, why not use Bluetooth and forget USBs?
Well for me, I don't like using my phone to listen to music through my car. I have to open the app, find the songs, and then play it.

The USB stick is always plugged in to my car. I just start the car up and it automatically plays. It's much easier and it's also easier to find particular songs or folders.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-08-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

no short cut - I went through the same thing.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-08-2018, 12:38 PM

Last year we bought my wife a new RAV4 with all the bells and whistles. No CD player. This was not a deal breaker for her and she liked SiriusXM so much we subscribed for her and added Pandora (free). She is a happy camper as she has moved around the SiriusXM channels and re-discovered the decades of the past 60s at 6, 70s at 7 and 80s at 8. Pretty simple. So, despite no cassette or cd capability the other sources can be satisfying.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

iPod with 128GB through the entertainment system with voice controls works great for me. Not all that newfangled technology is that bad.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:57 AM

I hated Sirius/XM and the whole idea of "renting" music. And their sleezy way of doing business.

I let my free year die when it was up and started buying stuff on my iphone and have built a pretty darned good "free form" radio station. For the price of a few years I will have a heckuva collection of stuff I like, and nothing else.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-09-2018, 06:06 AM

We just bought a Subaru and the Sirius trial was included. When I received mail from Sirius and read the details it claimed that under the purchase agreement they could automatically renew and charge us legally. I've been through the headaches dealing with them before. I promptly called and cancelled the free trial and any new mail or offers.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:20 AM

Sirius doesn't work to well here in hilly and wooded Washington. I let my free trial die (and get constant offers to re-start). We still have 5 months left on the wife's car and also will not continue. Thumb drive works fine. Haven't tried plugging my ipod in yet. I have about 1500 songs there.

BTW telling Sirius I don't want their offers hasn't worked.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:54 AM

I travel through a number of areas where Pandora and Spotify cut out frequently (as does all cell service). I got a 64G USB stick and transferred over 450 discs to it in 320k MP3 form, very easy to do that part of it - Windows Media Player makes it almost automatic, did 10-20 discs a night while I was doing other things on the computer.
However, found out that my Subaru playing system plays songs in alphabetical order, not in the original track sequence on an album. So used Foobar (free) to add the track numbers to each album's file names. THAT was a PITA and took some time.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-09-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Well for me, I don't like using my phone to listen to music through my car. I have to open the app, find the songs, and then play it.

The USB stick is always plugged in to my car. I just start the car up and it automatically plays. It's much easier and it's also easier to find particular songs or folders.
Or, you could simply tell your phone which song to play.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
no short cut - I went through the same thing.
Thanks Fazool, I was hoping but to no avail, happy trails!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Haven't used CDs since 2005... and switched out of MP3 files to streaming about two years ago. For the cost of one CD, my entire family has unlimited music streaming with their own accounts and playlists. And you can download the music onto your portable devices, in case you travel where there's no wifi or data available.

Today, my CD player is only used to hold my iPhone.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post

I see. Looks like it comes down to the car’s user interface capabilities. My Bluetooth connects automatically as soon as I start the car and the controls are on the steering wheel so I can browse, skip, etc. The easiest thing is to talk into the car’s mic to play a certain song or artist or album or whatever and let Siri do the rest. I never need to touch the phone.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
I see. Looks like it comes down to the car’s user interface capabilities. My Bluetooth connects automatically as soon as I start the car and the controls are on the steering wheel so I can browse, skip, etc. The easiest thing is to talk into the car’s mic to play a certain song or artist or album or whatever and let Siri do the rest. I never need to touch the phone.
Yeah and another issue is that I don't want to fill my phone with music and I don't want to stream due to data limits.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
We just bought a Subaru and the Sirius trial was included. When I received mail from Sirius and read the details it claimed that under the purchase agreement they could automatically renew and charge us legally. I've been through the headaches dealing with them before. I promptly called and cancelled the free trial and any new mail or offers.
Hate to tell you, that the standard Subie entertainment system has serious drawbacks using USB sticks or even your phone for music if you've got an Android phone. Heard that the iPhone interface works better, and not sure about the premium sound system.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Hate to tell you, that the standard Subie entertainment system has serious drawbacks using USB sticks or even your phone for music if you've got an Android phone. Heard that the iPhone interface works better, and not sure about the premium sound system.
To be honest, all systems will or are starting to look miserable and stupid now that we're getting to the era of cars shipping with Android and Apple electronics to begin with.

I have no complaints with our Subaru but I believe its model year with EyeSight safety system tied to a "Limited" trim with navigation means I have a premium JBL stereo.

No matter what the car is my observation has been you can just ask your Android or Apple phone to play what you want whether you have an older aux jack only or a newer system that has Bluetooth and/or a USB interface. I have not needed a superb dash interface when I can ask the phone and get what I want.

The real first world problem here is streaming. Our family of 5 just spent 3/4 weeks traveling. We love the Apple, Google and Amazon content we have but have another 14% data left with 10 days to go warning. 8 GB is usually just fine for a family of 5 but not when most of a month has been traveling, cabin and tent life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic