The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
I reached out to him in January, and he said he could fit me in this year. He's only doing 25 this year - not sure if that's because he raised his prices (and demand dropped), or he self-limited - I suspect the latter based on a few comments he made. He now spends the winters in AZ and returns to MN in May - my guess is he won't be doing this too much longer, but that's only a guess (he didn't say anything to me about retiring). You should contact him directly and ask if you can get on the list for next year - he answers emails pretty quickly.
Jim is very good about returning emails. I was in contact with him early this year, mostly due to the OPs mentioning his order.

Looking forward to another masterpiece!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-30-2017, 07:37 AM

Making good progress!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:35 AM

Looks beautiful! My goodness, I admire Mr. Olson. So much work on the bench but he has his 'system' nailed. I know he probably deserves a retirement but I hope he doesn't shut the shop lights down too soon. I'm due to hit the lottery in the next two years and I will need him then. Your guitar will be special I think.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:24 AM

Jim continues to make progress on my guitar, as well as the others in the Class of 2017. He sent me some pics, as well as a summary of the 28 guitars he is building this year:

12 Indian Rosewood,
1 maple cut-away,
1 Tiger Myrtle,
2 Mahogany Tree guitars,
1 curly mahogany, and
11 Brazilians guitars

All are sold except for one - a 40th anniversary guitar (I assume it's one of the Brazilians).

He has just completed the binding stage, and is now moving on to the necks. Apparently the binding stage is a lot of work - mitering, taping, scraping, and sanding. I'm including a picture of the scrapings - his arms get quite a workout! Once the necks are complete, he'll move on to the finishing, which is expected to take some time.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:29 AM

Default Nothing Like An Olson

You know...there is nothing like an Olson

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 06-14-2017, 07:35 AM

Stunning! I would love to just be a fly on the wall in his workshop. As pretty as all those shavings are I have no urge to pick up a broom. I bet they'd make a wonderful potpourri though!

I listened to the Fretboard Journal podcast interview with him this past year and agree that he has certainly earned a retirement. I found the story of how he solicited James Taylor to be particularly inspiring. The man has a humbleness that we should all strive for but looking at these pictures it's clear there's a good reason for it. The man clearly has his own style down to more than a science; those are real works of art!

If I ever hit the lottery I don't know if I can get on such an exclusive list. For me, I'd need to build a house that had a special little room - or even better a courtyard - where I could immerse myself in the experience of playing. One day I would at least like to try out one of those EIR/WRC SJs. IMO they are pretty much the Holy Grail of fingerstyle guitars.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:39 AM

So does Jim build all his guitars at one time for the year? There are about 28 bodies there together.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
You know...there is nothing like an Olson
This will be my first...based on your signature block you have quite the experience with Olsons!! This will also be only the second guitar I've bought without playing it - the first (the Bourgeois listed in my signature) was a beautiful guitar, but I've just recently put it up for sale - it just never felt right for me. I hope I don't have that experience with the Olson - I've played one other Olson SJ - and he has such a reputation for sound and feel consistency that I think I'm on solid ground here.

S
Old 06-14-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
So does Jim build all his guitars at one time for the year? There are about 28 bodies there together.
I'm not sure if his process was ever different, but I believe that has been his standard process for some time - he moves through each phase in building with the entire lot for the year.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Stunning! I would love to just be a fly on the wall in his workshop. As pretty as all those shavings are I have no urge to pick up a broom. I bet they'd make a wonderful potpourri though!.
Haha! That's exactly what I was thinking when he sent me that pic!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:46 AM

I see two special mahogany guitars it this years batch.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
I see two special mahogany guitars it this years batch.
Yeah, a couple of "Tree" beauties! I had thought about commissioning one, but I'm not a huge fan of the mahogany tone, although this particular wood, as we all know, is stunning to look at. The Bourgeois that I have put up for sale is mahogany - loved the look, the sound wasn't for me.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:02 PM

Your BRW set offers reasonably straight grain that should behave well over time, while having enough figure to really jump. That's a hard combo to get these days, when buyers see so much over-the-top psychedelic stumpwood, but for a guitar -- not a coffee table, not an expressionist artwork -- nothing beats the beautiful but restrained effect of yours.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
Your BRW set offers reasonably straight grain that should behave well over time, while having enough figure to really jump. That's a hard combo to get these days, when buyers see so much over-the-top psychedelic stumpwood, but for a guitar -- not a coffee table, not an expressionist artwork -- nothing beats the beautiful but restrained effect of yours.
Thanks - I thought a lot about what I wanted in this guitar. When you spring for an Olson, you sure aren't going to skimp on "extras". But I really didn't want to bling this out - as you will see when Jim finishes the neck and fingerboard, I have only a single fret marker at the 12th fret. I did want some figure in the BRW, but that's the only aesthetic direction I conveyed to Jim. More than anything I want a guitar that when played well, will make me smile and think "Wow!".
Old 06-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

For those of us who lust for an Olson, Dream Guitars has two of 'em!
Quarter vine on one. Really beautiful.

Last edited by fingerwalker; 06-15-2017 at 10:33 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop