The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
I can understand how you feel as I'm going through the same thing. I will be 31 in October and am just now working on recording my first solo album. I tried writing in my early 20's but just wasn't feeling it and was content to play in cover bands. I broke up my cover band last summer because I was completely burned out and this spring I got the itch to start writing originals for the first time. I'm working on song 10 right now, have already gotten studio drum tracks for 4 of the written tracks, and hope to have a finished album by Christmas. This is kinda my one shot to try something and I also feel I need to kinda move on with my life and put music on hold indefinitely, at least as being my primary focus outside work.
Wow! This sounds JUST LIKE ME 12 months ago! Same exact thing with the unsuccessful songwriting in my 20's and everything. Wow again!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFive View Post
This burnout thing happened to me around mid-30's as well. I took several years off until music resurfaced again...this time more on my own terms. Seemed like when I stopped caring about getting gigs or being good, the more gigs I got and the better player I became. Give it time my friend, and music may circle back around again for you as a "second wind." Hence the name of my CD "Second Wind" at my website below.
Yeah, I don't think music ever leaves you once it is in your soul. You'll be back to it!

I have gone through various stages of performance excitement and/or burnout, always to find some new music related unexplored territory. I've got a bunch of projects going and I'm loving it right now! But I totally understand the burnout thing, I do. I'm not burnt out on music right now myself, I am super involved in it and excited about it and in fact, trying to do too much music right now. That's where my danger of burnout will come from.

It is hard balancing music with a family. But since this is my day job too, it works out.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:03 PM

Default I completely understand...

While I've played for a total for a few hundred people in my musical career, it was never my intention to be a "superstar". I'm perfectly happy playing "weekend warrior" at church and the local blues band!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:30 PM
some guy from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I never thought that I would be writing those words but it is official folks. I've been pursuing music as hard as I know how for close to 15 years now. I've played hundreds and hundreds of shows, gotten to tour a little, and spent countless hours practicing so that maybe one day I would get the chance to play music full-time. Well, at age 32 I think that I'm finally ready to call it a day. .............
can I have your guitars?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
While I've played for a total for a few hundred people in my musical career, it was never my intention to be a "superstar". I'm perfectly happy playing "weekend warrior" at church and the local blues band!
I've always been glad that I never had some crazy dream of being rich and famous through music! Everybody I know who used to think that way talks about their musical aspirations in the past tense or something. I'm just thrilled with each new thing I get to do! But even if I ever put it on a back burner, as you all say, I'll still always be grateful just to be able to make music - if for nothing else, just for myself ... for the stress relief....
Old 08-25-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_harmonic View Post
can I have your guitars?
Ummm...no. I only have one and I need that one. My wife actually owns more guitars than I do. I have a Takamine EF341SC. My wife has a Wasburn XB125 5-string bass and a sweet Danelectro Rumor Bass (she likes the blue sparkle). She plays through an Ampeg BA115 bass amp.

I have many other instruments too, but you can't have any of those either.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:56 AM

hey, 15 years is quite a haul. i was fried by 25 and never looked back...well, mostly anyway. music has never ceased to be a major focus in my life but, not having to make a living at it makes it more rewarding for me. for others the opposite may be true.
"performing" is its own thing. either folks love it or hate hate. i grew to hate it. it stifled me creatively and emotionally. i stopped writing to practice what i thought others wanted to hear....a big mistake. had i continued to play my original work i may have felt differently about the whole thing by now..i dunno. what i do know is that i have written more "successful" pieces since i got over the "performance" thing and enjoy my music more intimately and, in a way, spiritually.
the clincher for me was doing a year of solo gigs, most intsrumental...a jazz/blues/folk fusion type thing and feeling that no one was really listening. i took it far too personally i have been told repeatedly. i had friends tell me they loved stuff i had no idea they had even heard...and still don't think they really "heard" them.
now, some of those folks use some of my material or ask me to sit in with them, do some "session" work on their demos, etc. so, maybe i was wrong but, its taken me 25 + years to get over that sinking feeling and i still prefer the insular life.
i greatly admire those who have persisted and continued to perform, especially the ones who have progressed musically and personally as a result but, i sympathize with anyone who just throws in the towel and says>"enough!"
one day i may feel differently...you as well...until then,...enjoy the benefit of solitude. i do.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:35 PM

So, you play Acoustic Contemporary Christian Music and you couldn't make a living doing that so music is going on the back burner? Can you tell me who DOES make a living playing Acoustic Contemporary Christian Music?
Old 08-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Have you given up on the forum as well?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:10 AM

Great thread.

My first burnout moment (if I don't count my dad burning me out by 3) was at 24. After playing in an original hard rock band since 19. It was fun early on but as band members changed for better players. Better players brought their ego's. The band was quite good. The year 1980-81. Rock was almost dead post disco era while the new wave/puck scene was exploding. I thought at 24 I was too old to make it coupled with the ego's and music scene (wanted to start a family). So I put my bass away and didn't play for 7 years. Six months after the band breakup and quitting the Hair band thing happened almost overnight. Maybe poor timing on my part or maybe it just wasn't in my cards. Dunno. Several years latter I started up again when an old friend called me out of the blue requesting I help them with a studio project. I continued playing in several bands playing dance music (pop, rock, Motown & soul) up till 4 years ago when I decided it wasn't fun anymore being in a band. So, I dedicated myself to playing only acoustic guitar which I started teaching myself a in my early 40's in between bands/gig's. Funny thing is that now, my wife and I are working up a enough material to play out again as an acoustic duo but only very low key gig's about once a month just for fun. Someone mentioned earlier that music never leaves your soul. I couldn't agree more.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 08-26-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdoc View Post
Can you tell me who DOES make a living playing Acoustic Contemporary Christian Music?
Big Daddy Weave
Rich Mullins (although he died 10 years ago)
Caedmon's Call
Jars of Clay (although they are a little more electric now)
Bebo Norman
Satellite Soul
Jennifer Knapp

There are lots of others too.

In addition, I'm not giving up music entirely; I'm simply giving up trying to possibly do it for a living. I'm still going to play at church and I may occasionally do a gig here and there. I'm looking at learning the hammered dulcimer too. I'm just not going to be playing as many shows as I can with the hopes of getting more and more shows. Pursuing music with the hopes of doing it full time is definately over. I want to enjoy music again. It became too much like work. I hope that this answers your question.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:58 PM

I don't think I'd want to play music full time. As it is, I've played almost full time this summer. After last nights show (where I wasn't exactly playing very well), I said to my wife that I think I'm playing too much. School will start next week and I'll be back to my day job (with its share of headaches and joys). When I talk to high schoolers about music I counsel them that making a living at music is not as glamorous as one might imagine.

Playing music in bars/venues/etc. can be:
exhausting
scary (at times)
lonely (often! especially as a solo artist)
frustrating

However it can also be pure magic. I live for those times.

I'm glad to have a good day job that takes most of the pressure off my music career.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Big Daddy Weave
Rich Mullins (although he died 10 years ago)
Caedmon's Call
Jars of Clay (although they are a little more electric now)
Bebo Norman
Satellite Soul
Jennifer Knapp

There are lots of others too.

In addition, I'm not giving up music entirely; I'm simply giving up trying to possibly do it for a living. I'm still going to play at church and I may occasionally do a gig here and there. I'm looking at learning the hammered dulcimer too. I'm just not going to be playing as many shows as I can with the hopes of getting more and more shows. Pursuing music with the hopes of doing it full time is definately over. I want to enjoy music again. It became too much like work. I hope that this answers your question.
Actually it does. Honestly I thought you were whining in your first post and I was a bit upset that you have so much talent and you were simply walking away from it. I'm glad you're not. It'd be a shame.

One more question. These folks that make a living with contemporary Christian music; did they migrate from other venues to become Christian muscians? I know very little about the Christian music industry yet I still can't grasp the idea that success with Christian music didn't begin elsewhere for the artist. Just an ignorant hypothesis on my part I suppose but I am genuinely interested.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:28 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdoc View Post
One more question. These folks that make a living with contemporary Christian music; did they migrate from other venues to become Christian muscians? I know very little about the Christian music industry yet I still can't grasp the idea that success with Christian music didn't begin elsewhere for the artist. Just an ignorant hypothesis on my part I suppose but I am genuinely interested.
It can actually be a little of both. Some grow up being "Christian musicians" and some become Christian after they are musicians. Rick Warren (pastor of a big honkin church in California) said that there is no Christian music, just Christian lyrics. Good point.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Somewhere along the way, music became a lot less fun and a lot more work.
I hope your experiences will not leave you feeling like I did.

I wanted to be a professional golfer after the game paid my way through college and I had a bit of a reputation at it. I got a job at a local country club in Louisville and I tried to play as many regional tournaments as I could, not doing very well in many of them. It took me about a year to figure out I had stars in my eyes and to settle down to what has been a fulfilling business career, but the point is, I worked so hard at golf, (these days we would say 24/7), that for years afterwards, I couldn't enjoy the game when I would just play it socially. I actually grew to hate it and it took me about 10 years to be able to go play without telling myself I should have the same expectations as when I played professionally. To this day, I won't play in tournaments.

Give yourself time to rest and with all my heart, I hope you won't feel the way about your music that I did about golf.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell