The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-17-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Heat and Outdoor Gigs

I'm playing at a winery in a couple of weeks in the foothills, where summertime temps are typically 90-100 degrees. One gig is three hours and the next (a couple of weeks later) will be four-hour sets on two consectutive days.

I've got both a classical and my Taylor that I'll be bringing to these gigs. Do I need to think about any special care for the guitars in this kind of heat? Does the glue start getting compromised at these temps? I don't know if I will have any cover, but as a red-head, I really hope I do....
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM

Bring one of those large beach umbrellas to keep things cool- especially your amp/PA (if you're using one). Might be worth it to have one of those box fans blowing too.

Also allow some time for your equip. (guitars) to "climatize"- that is when you take them from the A/C'd car open up the cases and allow them to come to ambient temperature slowly. Good luck and be sure you have plenty of H2O for yourself.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 AM

We play an outdoor gig monthly here in San Antonio (we have actually played in 102 degree heat). I agree with all of the things that sharkydude50 said, plus

1. hydrate before and during the gig. I routinely drink 2 16 oz bottles of water at a 2.5 hr gig. And I can't say enough about hydrating all day.

2. Maybe make 45-50 minute sets with breaks, rather than longer sets.

3. We sometimes will turn off our amps, mixer and speakers during a break to help them cool down.

That's it for now.

2003 Taylor 814cES
2000 Taylor K14c
2011 James Tyler Variax JTV-69, Lake Placid Blue
JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
Crate Powerblock and JDesign custom cabinet

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevefeinstein,
The Tim and Bob Show buy our CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timandbob
http://www.feintuned.com
Old 08-17-2007, 11:13 AM

90-100 isn't a problem at all. If you can keep them out of direct sunlight, do so because they'll heat up a lot hotter than the ambient temp if they're under direct sun. Also, there's nothing like burning yourself on your guitar

Keep hydrated and if you can bring a fan, that's probably a good idea.

I've been playing outdoor gigs all summer in temps ranging from 55-100 degrees (sometimes in the course of one show!) and haven't had any issues with my guitars (other than staying in tune when the temps fluctuate wildly).

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-17-2007, 11:18 AM

So far everyone is giving great advice, and I'll re-iterate.

1. Let your guitar warm up in the case for a while before you take it out. However, don't let the case sit in direct sunlight. It's black and will heat up quickly. 100 degree temps will not hurt the glue but if the case in in the sun temps could go higher inside quickly.

2. Provide yourself some shade with beach umbrelas or portable awning. Talk to the winery, perhaps they will set up some shade for you if you ask.

3. Fans to cool amps and PA's as well as yourself.

4. Water....water....lots of water.

5. Have fun and earn some dough. Hope you are getting paid well.

Bernaby
Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernaby View Post
So far everyone is giving great advice, and I'll re-iterate.

1. Let your guitar warm up in the case for a while before you take it out. However, don't let the case sit in direct sunlight. It's black and will heat up quickly. 100 degree temps will not hurt the glue but if the case in in the sun temps could go higher inside quickly.

2. Provide yourself some shade with beach umbrelas or portable awning. Talk to the winery, perhaps they will set up some shade for you if you ask.

3. Fans to cool amps and PA's as well as yourself.

4. Water....water....lots of water.

5. Have fun and earn some dough. Hope you are getting paid well.

Bernaby
Thanks all. Great advice. Especially hydrating myself. As a red-head living on the coast where it's typically 55-65 degrees, during all seasons, the four-hour set will be tough. I like the idea of asking for longer breaks. That makes a lot of sense.

Am I getting paid well? Not bad, but unfortunately it's a 3-hour drive to the event, so some will go straight into my tank. The rest will probably be spent on wine!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:38 PM

If you don't have a case cover (which is usually insulated), I suggest you get a 3M Space Blanket--Mylar, and it is highly reflective to keep from absorbing heat. Cover the cases before you open them (unless they are cold from the AC in the car, in which case cover them once they come up to air temp; and throw the blanket over your guitar(s) during the break. Drink as much plain cool water as you can stand. Watch the wine--alcohol dehydrates you, and it's best to wait to indulge until after your show.

Which winery? Is Montara in S. CA? Just curious. (I really like the Temecula area wineries, nice change of pace from Napa/Sonoma and Central coast).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
I'm playing at a winery in a couple of weeks in the foothills, where summertime temps are typically 90-100 degrees. One gig is three hours and the next (a couple of weeks later) will be four-hour sets on two consectutive days.

I've got both a classical and my Taylor that I'll be bringing to these gigs. Do I need to think about any special care for the guitars in this kind of heat? Does the glue start getting compromised at these temps? I don't know if I will have any cover, but as a red-head, I really hope I do....
Hmmm, that's simply not hot enough for me to be much help.

Actually, if you must use acoustics, have them out and in the shade and getting used to the heat.
Always keep them in the shade.
The classical will be hard to keep in tune with top three strings (especially G) wanting to go sharp.
Water misters bring even more havoc, but at least you are more comfortable. Use fans.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
If you don't have a case cover (which is usually insulated), I suggest you get a 3M Space Blanket--Mylar, and it is highly reflective to keep from absorbing heat. Cover the cases before you open them (unless they are cold from the AC in the car, in which case cover them once they come up to air temp; and throw the blanket over your guitar(s) during the break. Drink as much plain cool water as you can stand. Watch the wine--alcohol dehydrates you, and it's best to wait to indulge until after your show.

Which winery? Is Montara in S. CA? Just curious. (I really like the Temecula area wineries, nice change of pace from Napa/Sonoma and Central coast).
Hi Sandy,

Montara is a little coastal community (2000 people) about 20 minutes south of San Francisco. I think you would like it. Lots of arts (musical and otherwise), including open mics at 4 places within a 2 mile radius on different days. In fact there is one tonight in Cafe Lucca in Montara if anyone wants to drop by.

www.montara.com

I too prefer more "out of the way" wineries vs. the Napa/Sonoma lot.. This winery "Boeger" is in the foothills on the way to Lake Tahoe. There are a lot of small wineries throughout the region with pretty good wines, minus a lot of the atttitude (and $10 tasting charges which are sort of standard in Napa these days).

Maybe we'll take up the wine discussion in "Open Mic"...
Old 08-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Temp and humidity affect the instuments more than anything. I wouldn't expect permanent issues. But playing outdoors in the heat, the instruemnts will act differently. Plus you'll be sweating, creatings stickyness for you and the guitars. Play outside some in advance. (You probably do already). It could be a very differnt situation than your used to.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:28 AM

Going into my seventh year doing the Fox Valley Folk Festival--on Labor Day weekend, Chicago's western burbs, even on a lovely wooded isle, can be brutally hot except when it's pouring. We do have indoor instrument checking, but when there are back-to-back sets at the opposite end of the grounds from the green room and no time to retrieve your stuff, it's a challenge to keep instruments cool. I will probably take my 414rce this year, if only because the Small Dog case cover fits its case. I saw someone with a case cover actually made from mylar Space Blanket material. Gebhard Woods in June has been in the 90s about half the time I've been there; and the only storage options are unsecured in the green room/ops center or the car (BAD news in the heat). And Hiawatha up in Marquette (rarely in the 90s, but it can happen even on the Lake Superior shoreiine) offers no instrument checking area at all, not even beneath the main stage--most artists camp and their campers are cooled. You're okay as long as you're under the workshop stage tents, but the instruments are vulnerable otherwise. A schlep-cart and a space blanket are the best way to go for me.

Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

Old 08-19-2007, 05:53 AM

And don't forget your tuner -- outside I have found that the heat affects my guitars' tuning much more than inside. Have fund and good luck.

2003 Taylor 814cES
2000 Taylor K14c
2011 James Tyler Variax JTV-69, Lake Placid Blue
JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
Crate Powerblock and JDesign custom cabinet

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevefeinstein,
The Tim and Bob Show buy our CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timandbob
http://www.feintuned.com
Old 08-20-2007, 07:09 AM

You might want to bring a box of wet-naps or baby-wipes. (preferably unscented) Swab yourself down before and after the sets, or even during! Freshening up will feel very good and give you an "energy boost".

Wear a good shade hat!

Bring a change of clothes; fresh t-shirt, etc...
Old 08-21-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulData View Post
You might want to bring a box of wet-naps or baby-wipes. (preferably unscented) Swab yourself down before and after the sets, or even during! Freshening up will feel very good and give you an "energy boost".

Wear a good shade hat!

Bring a change of clothes; fresh t-shirt, etc...
Biore Deep Pore Cleansing Wipes (or the CVS or Walgreen's versions) feel really fresh.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:22 PM

Actually, MY faves are the Dickinson's Witch Hazel Towelettes... I was an outdoor vendor (antiques fair) of vintage cameras in NYC (6th Ave) for most of the 1990s; and went through many packs of them... Always looked & felt fresh and perky...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell