The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Default I got a RESONATOR!

Hi folks, I just wanted to let people know I bought a resonator today (thanks to Jpbat who gave me the heads up on where to find one, and all the other posters who gave such nice input in my first thread). It's a Paul Beard Goldtone deluxe resonator with a round neck. I see that were not supposed to talk prices so I wont say what I paid but I can say I got about $300.00 off the price because of damage to the guitar (obviously someone dropped it). There's several small bumps on the back and a slight crack in the laminate coating. The most worrying damage is to the bottom where there's a crack about 3 inches long on the base right under the tailpiece. I would appreciate honesty here from people: is this something I should worry about? Anyone have experience with laminates and cracks? I wouldn't hesitate to return it if its something that I should worry about. I'll attach the photos and await to hear from people. I almost didn't buy it but they're so hard to get up here and they took a lot off the price.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:41 PM

I don't mean to bump my own thread but I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 05:06 PM

yes it's the one I tried. Good deal. Nice tone. Happy for you.
I was ready to buy, but neck not enough wide for me.
Yes it dropped, but when I looked I didn't see any structural thing to worry.
Enough bad look to negotiate a very good price, he, he...
If you want, I can have a better look at it. Remove the tailpiece, etc...
PM me, we can arrange something.

Jean-Paul Bataille
www.fingerstyle-guitar.com/jean-paul_bataille/
Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM

I haven't been on this forum very long, but I've been consistently impressed by how generous everyone here is. And talented to boot.

http://claudiagibson.com
Martin 2014 000-18 Mahogany/Sitka
Taylor 1992 412 GC Mahogany/Sitka
1982 Fender Strat '57 Vintage Reissue
2017 Epiphone ES-339 Cherry Red
Old 01-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Just to update; my new(ish) Goldtone RBRD sounds pretty **** fine. I've changed the strings and given it a wash and it's purring very nicely. Maybe now I can finally get into slide guitar! The only problem I have now is too many **** guitars... guess I'll have to get some hangers for the walls.
Cheers!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 AM

Hey BBB,

Well, this sounds like an exciting acquisition. I love the sound of resonators and I hope the damage stays is reparable and/or not significant to the playability and tone of your new guitar. Congratulations. Wish I could have offered some expertise, but that'll have to come from others.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 AM

Thanks Ryler. I think the damage is just surface damage and the guitar is in very solid shape otherwise (as Jpbat explained, resos are built very thick so they can take a bit of punishment on exterior). I'm no longer worried about it and just happy that I saved a whole whack of cash. Plays and sounds really beautiful. I'm already in love .
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

Beautiful resonator! I haven't had the opportunity to try one of these yet, but I did see one the other day at Long & McQuade ....

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Yeah Shadow, they're beautiful. Only once I put fresh strings on, however, was I able to truly appreciate the beautiful tone (almost wet sounding in some spots). Very sweet, check' em out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments