The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 12:08 PM

Default 2007/2008 L-00 Legend GAS

As current caretaker of both a J45 and an LG-2, I can’t find any reasonable excuse to add anything else at the moment. However, that hasn’t stopped me from looking with, what I’m telling myself, is no real intent to buy.

So I guess it’s good for my wallet & marriage that it seems there were precious few of these ‘07-‘08 L-00 Legends produced under the watchful eye of Ren Ferguson. But I’m still curious about them. How good were they? What is the comparable model? As a long time lurker/rare poster here, I’ll say that this isn’t a model I see come up for sale often. But I do won’t at what price they can command?

I’d also wonder if it would be reasonable to consider a vintage model L-00? I have a sneaking suspicion that if he’s around, BluesKing777 is gonna mention a Waterloo. [emoji6] Though I think it may have been him that inadvertently sent me down this road as I was lusting after a L-00 Blues King.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I’m in for answers as well. I love the LG2, L-00, and the Waterloo.

Vintage small body Gibsons are also high on my radar.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakav View Post

I’d also wonder if it would be reasonable to consider a vintage model L-00? I have a sneaking suspicion that if he’s around, BluesKing777 is gonna mention a Waterloo. [emoji6] Though I think it may have been him that inadvertently sent me down this road as I was lusting after a L-00 Blues King.
Ha Ha! I AM around!!!

Yes, Waterloo WL-14X is the beast closer to the vintage L-00 than the vintage L-00???

Here is the Waterloo WL-14X blurb from Folkway Music:

Picking up an X-braced Waterloo is the closest any of us will ever come to experiencing what it must have been like to play a new Gibson L-00 back in the 1930's. We tip our collective hats to the people at Collings who've created these fine guitars after carefully studying those great 1930's originals. They've really did a remarkable job of capturing the details of an original L-00.

The guitar is built with protein-based fish glue, un-scalloped braces, a wide-angle X, tiny and thin maple bridgeplate, and a spruce top. Looking inside the guitar, it's not too different than a 30's L-00 under the hood, except it's built with Collings' incredible attention to detail. The guitar has a beautiful spruce top, mahogany back and sides, ivoroid top binding, and an unbound back; comfortable slimmed and rounded V shaped neck, rosewood fingerboard, adjustable truss rod, and simple dot markers. The headstock features open-geared tuners, silk-screened logo, and an ebony nut. Ebony bridge and pins, bone saddle, firestripe pickguard, and ivoroid-bound soundhole complete the top. The WL-14x is finished in a very 1930's Kalamazoo sunburst, with period brown back and sides. The neck measures 1-3/4” at the nut, pin spread at the bridge is 2-3/8”, and the scale length is 24-3/4”.

Talk about an exciting guitar. Not only does the Waterloo WL-14x capture the looks and feel of a 1930's L-00, it's got the sound to back it up. The Waterloos are the only new guitars we've played that really does the L-00 thing right. The mids are punchy, strong, and up front, and are very well supported by an underlying warmth and rich overtone presence. Trebles are round and thick, and the bass is present and well defined.

Both requests will be hard to find.

Get both and a real one 1935....!!!

Then you can tell us what they are like.

But, if you want to do fingerpicking roots and blues, get the Waterloo ladder braced WL-14L.......phew.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion