The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 06:25 AM

Default Can I Call Off A Reverb Sale?

I have never sold anything on Reverb before. I received an offer for my asking price for the guitar i advertised as pick up only. I agreed to ship the guitar for additional 40.00. The buyer said fine and deposited the money in my PayPal account and i have transferred it out to my banking account. But now i notice the shipping address is to a different person. Also, they buyer has no feedback. Also the name of the person to ship to happens to also be the name of a famous ballerina in the area.
The shipping address is an apt. Complex near a university.
So.. i am getting a bad vibe.
Can i just do a refund and call it off?
Old 03-24-2019, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

I don't think it's a problem....

If the order has already been paid, the seller will need to refund the payment and alert the buyer of the cancellation. Sellers can do this by clicking "More Order Actions", then the "Issue Refund" button on this page. After the refund is completed, Reverb will credit any relevant Reverb selling fees on your bill.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-24-2019, 06:46 AM

It sounds suspicious. But you have the money - or think you do.

I once was given a $20000 check from Canada that took many weeks to fail to clear, so I'd talk to your bank and make sure the money is there and will not be removed should something fail to clear. If you have a copy of the check, call the bank on which it was drawn - tat can help you the most. People can make ersatz checks that will fool the bank into which you deposit the money - but won't fool the bank from which they appear to be issued.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

This isn't a check - it was a Paypal payment - so I think the payment is safe (especially now since it has been transferred out of Paypal into your back account).

There are plenty of websites that may confirm the name with the address. Just do a search on one of those to confirm that the address you've been given matches with the name given.

FWIW, I had a friend who sold a hard-to-find pedal on Reverb once. When he was contacted by the buyer, he discovered that his pedal was going to Sean Lennon! In other words, don't let the fact that it's going to a well-known ballerina deter you.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 AM

If you already have the payment in your bank account, and you can verify the funds are cleared, what are you worried about? They might be trying to use a fake name but it does not appear they are trying to rob you since they already gave you the money.

It might actually be the famous ballerina or someone who just doesn't want to use their real name in an online transaction. I'd pack the guitar and ship it - don't worry about who it is or what address its going to long as you have already been paid.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 AM

Careful. Paypal can come back after the funds ... and will. Shipping to an unverified address is a known Paypal scam. The item is shipped and the “buyer” claims he never received it, Paypal sees it wasn’t shipped to a verified address and sides with the buyer. I’d be very careful.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

If the address to ship the guitar to is not the registered address of the paypal account used to pay, then you have no protections. If they say they never got the guitar, paypal will side with them.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Easy, go to to your listings page hit orders click on the item and hit cancel order. Then Reverb will tell you how to refund the buyer.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:27 AM

Default What I would do

Here’s the concern. First, you already have the $$ so that’s not the problem. If you ship and then the seller says they never received it that could be an issue. Of course you should ship it with a signature required. There are at least two ways to do that. The first is for an indirect signature which means any present adult can sign for it. The other is with a direct signature required which means only the person you are shipping to can sign for it. Contact the buyer through the Reverb message system so there is a paper trail. Tell them your policy is to require a direct signature and verify who they want it sent to that will be there to sign for it. Once you do all that you are well covered. Don’t refund and cancel. You’ve got your money. Just tighten up the shipping and you’re good to go.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
If the address to ship the guitar to is not the registered address of the paypal account used to pay, then you have no protections. If they say they never got the guitar, paypal will side with them.
This ^^^^. All day long. Back out ASAP.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-24-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Yes, you can call off the sale. Your reason is a valid one, ship to address is not the verified PayPal address.

If your buyer claims they never got the guitar, PayPal will refund the money because you broke the #1 rule, shipping to an address different than the verified one. You'll be on the hook for the refund.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-24-2019, 07:34 AM

Wait 10 working days then ship it. In the meantime, do more research.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:34 AM

These are good points I did not consider - they are correct. If the buyer claims they never received the guitar Paypal will likely side with them.

I agree with the advice to tighten the shipping - ensure the buyer understands you want a signature and express your concerns about the address or name being different from the one on the PayPal account. This is solid advice.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 03-24-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
If you already have the payment in your bank account, and you can verify the funds are cleared, what are you worried about? They might be trying to use a fake name but it does not appear they are trying to rob you since they already gave you the money.

It might actually be the famous ballerina or someone who just doesn't want to use their real name in an online transaction. I'd pack the guitar and ship it - don't worry about who it is or what address its going to long as you have already been paid.
This is bad advice, really bad advice.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 AM

Have you asked the buyer for an explanation? Also, you could contact the Reverb admin to ask their advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion