The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 PM
bluewaterpig bluewaterpig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
Default Neck Hump

So because of some circumstances that were out of my control, my Martin 000 was exposed to an environment with some very, very low humidity. It sat in this room for a few days and then to make matters worse, it sat in a car that was in below freezing temperatures for a few hours before I finally got it home. When I took it out, I noticed a hump in the neck where it meets the body.

1) I’m assuming that I need to just rehydrate my guitar in a closed case, correct?

2) I have it sitting in its case with some 84% Boveda packs, but I’m only getting it up to 41% according to my calibrated hygrometer...is this because the guitar is absorbing so much? Or am I looking at a leak?


Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this situation are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2018, 07:47 PM
mirwa mirwa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,374
Default

I let an instrument sit in a controlled enviroment for anything from 2 days to a week, you cannot just use a humidity pack or something along those lines.

You need to let the guitar sit open in a room that is climate controlled at the least, so that way the fretboard, neck and everywhere else can relax, not just the body internals

Steve
__________________
Taylor 814CE
Taylor 912
Gretsch Electromatic
Cole Clark Fat Lady FL3
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 PM
redir redir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mountains of Virginia
Posts: 3,863
Default

It's quite possible it will return to it's former self. If the fret ends are sticking out now would be a good time to nip them off. Just follow Steve's advice. One way to get humidification is to set the guitar up on a stand in your bathroom after you take a shower and just close the door for several hours. You don't want beads of water all over it but it's a nice humid environment if you have no other way of dealing with it. If it's still real dry where you are then put it back in the case till you can do it again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 AM
bluewaterpig bluewaterpig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I let an instrument sit in a controlled enviroment for anything from 2 days to a week, you cannot just use a humidity pack or something along those lines.

You need to let the guitar sit open in a room that is climate controlled at the least, so that way the fretboard, neck and everywhere else can relax, not just the body internals

Steve
Why canít you stick it in a case with a few packs spread throughout the case?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2018, 04:28 AM
mirwa mirwa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,374
Default

No airflow, localised humidity changes are bad for the instrument, best to allow the whole instrument be exposed to a humidity and gradually change it

Steve
__________________
Taylor 814CE
Taylor 912
Gretsch Electromatic
Cole Clark Fat Lady FL3
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 AM
redir redir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mountains of Virginia
Posts: 3,863
Default

Sounds like you got it dried out so bad that you need to hydrate the fretbaord and neck as well, yes moisture will travel through the finish on the neck. You need the full soak.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Ned Milburn Ned Milburn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 3,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaterpig View Post
So because of some circumstances that were out of my control, my Martin 000 was exposed to an environment with some very, very low humidity. It sat in this room for a few days and then to make matters worse, it sat in a car that was in below freezing temperatures for a few hours before I finally got it home. When I took it out, I noticed a hump in the neck where it meets the body.

1) Iím assuming that I need to just rehydrate my guitar in a closed case, correct?

2) I have it sitting in its case with some 84% Boveda packs, but Iím only getting it up to 41% according to my calibrated hygrometer...is this because the guitar is absorbing so much? Or am I looking at a leak?


Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this situation are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Why would you want to bring the humidity up to 84% anyway?? Not a good idea.

Check out this info:

http://www.handcraftedguitars.ca/201...9/guitar-care/

Also, even if humidity is kept "perfect", guitars with Martin style design will often develop a hump that requires correction in the fret surfaces if minor. If hump is medium, it can sometimes warrant fingerboard levelling then refretting, and if major could (but rarely) warrant fingerboard removal (but I've never seen the need for f.board removal in the client guitars I've worked on).
__________________
----

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:49 AM
bluewaterpig bluewaterpig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Why would you want to bring the humidity up to 84% anyway?? Not a good idea.

Check out this info:

http://www.handcraftedguitars.ca/201...9/guitar-care/

Also, even if humidity is kept "perfect", guitars with Martin style design will often develop a hump that requires correction in the fret surfaces if minor. If hump is medium, it can sometimes warrant fingerboard levelling then refretting, and if major could (but rarely) warrant fingerboard removal (but I've never seen the need for f.board removal in the client guitars I've worked on).
Iím only using 84% because the RH level isnít holding correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 AM
bluewaterpig bluewaterpig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I let an instrument sit in a controlled enviroment for anything from 2 days to a week, you cannot just use a humidity pack or something along those lines.

You need to let the guitar sit open in a room that is climate controlled at the least, so that way the fretboard, neck and everywhere else can relax, not just the body internals

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It's quite possible it will return to it's former self. If the fret ends are sticking out now would be a good time to nip them off. Just follow Steve's advice. One way to get humidification is to set the guitar up on a stand in your bathroom after you take a shower and just close the door for several hours. You don't want beads of water all over it but it's a nice humid environment if you have no other way of dealing with it. If it's still real dry where you are then put it back in the case till you can do it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Sounds like you got it dried out so bad that you need to hydrate the fretbaord and neck as well, yes moisture will travel through the finish on the neck. You need the full soak.
Makes sense...when I run a humidifier in my room on full blast, I still donít see much of a rise if I set my hygrometer on the other side of the room.

So whatís the best method I should use here...run a hot shower and keep the guitar in there for a while? Set it up right next to a humidifier?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM
redir redir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mountains of Virginia
Posts: 3,863
Default

The room is too big then perhaps try a smaller room or closet.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-10-2018, 10:06 AM
bluewaterpig bluewaterpig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The room is too big then perhaps try a smaller room or closet.
Iím going to try the bathroom first. What RH % should I be aiming for?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-10-2018, 11:57 AM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,184
Default

I needed to hydrate a body and what I did was stick the body in a garbage bag with a plate of water. I had a small 3" fan from a computer and blew it onto the plate of water. Naturally the bag was closed and I put a couple of strategically placed sticks so the bag was a big tent rather than a vacuumed freezer bag (little joke). The humidity needed a kick start so I put hot water in the plate. The humidity never got much over 40%, the crack in the body closed up. It would be fun to have one of those big clear trash bags and watch the process enfold. (While on Valium)
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-10-2018, 05:17 PM
mirwa mirwa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,374
Default

Dont measure the guitar for a while, pick a room or a closet, get it to 50 percent humidity to start with, allow that area to stabilise, introduce your guitar to this area and let it sit for a day or two then check again.

Steve
__________________
Taylor 814CE
Taylor 912
Gretsch Electromatic
Cole Clark Fat Lady FL3
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:06 PM
bluewaterpig bluewaterpig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Dont measure the guitar for a while, pick a room or a closet, get it to 50 percent humidity to start with, allow that area to stabilise, introduce your guitar to this area and let it sit for a day or two then check again.

Steve
Iíve got it in my bathroom. I ran a hot shower for 5 mins or so, put the guitar on a stand in the middle of the floor, shut the lights off (the lights are on the same switch as the fan), shut the door and covered the bottom of the door with towels. Iím guessing these are the best steps to take to try and stabilize the RH level...any suggestions are very welcomed.

Iíve gotten the neck to the point that the hump is very, very small...in fact itís almost gone, but Iím still getting some buzz. So Iím wondering...how will I be able to tell that the hump is ďgoneĒ? When I can take a straight edge and have it not rock on the frets near the hump?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 PM
mirwa mirwa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,374
Default

The hump may never go, if the board was fretted before being fitted to the guitar during its manufacturing process, then it will likely have always been there.

You dont want the guitar to be wet or dry, just a stable humidity for a few days to a week.

I think the process you are currently following will likely damage the guitar further

Steve
__________________
Taylor 814CE
Taylor 912
Gretsch Electromatic
Cole Clark Fat Lady FL3
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=