The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isrvel View Post
Hey Alex, I know it's been quite a long time since this post, but did you ever see this?

Worsham & LR Baggs

Doing that on my acoustic now...
I want to do this too with the M80 and Lyric, how was your experience?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:36 PM

Both the M80 and the Anthem are good systems that provide a condensed "dual source" approach in a single system. However, if you want the M80 for producing "electric" sounds, I may recommend going with a different pickup. The M80 is designed to have a pseudo-soundboard transducer/quasi-microphonic quality intended to capture the resonances of an acoustic. Traditionally, players used magnetic pickups for their stability and powerful low-end and blend in a mic or Soundboard Transducer to add back some naturalness that a mag doesn't capture. The M80 isn't as expensive as buying a Sunrise, a K&K, and the appropriate preamp/blenders, but it is awfully expensive to run through distortion and you're undoing its strength in the process. If you want "unnatural" tones from that pickup, there are less costly magnetics of high-quality available.

I also wouldn't rule out using a passive magnetic pickup (or passive anything for that matter). Most mags are passive and almost all players use outboard preamps anyway, so I don't see much benefit in a magnetic pickup being active. In general, I refuse to use active pickups but that's just me.
Yamaha LL16 w/Bob Colosi bone-saddle LB6
Radial Tonebone PZ Pre & PZ Deluxe
Old 01-08-2018, 12:37 PM

Dang it...I replied to a zombie thread.
Yamaha LL16 w/Bob Colosi bone-saddle LB6
Radial Tonebone PZ Pre & PZ Deluxe
Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Both the M80 and the Anthem are good systems that provide a condensed "dual source" approach in a single system. However, if you want the M80 for producing "electric" sounds, I may recommend going with a different pickup. The M80 is designed to have a pseudo-soundboard transducer/quasi-microphonic quality intended to capture the resonances of an acoustic. Traditionally, players used magnetic pickups for their stability and powerful low-end and blend in a mic or Soundboard Transducer to add back some naturalness that a mag doesn't capture. The M80 isn't as expensive as buying a Sunrise, a K&K, and the appropriate preamp/blenders, but it is awfully expensive to run through distortion and you're undoing its strength in the process. If you want "unnatural" tones from that pickup, there are less costly magnetics of high-quality available.

I also wouldn't rule out using a passive magnetic pickup (or passive anything for that matter). Most mags are passive and almost all players use outboard preamps anyway, so I don't see much benefit in a magnetic pickup being active. In general, I refuse to use active pickups but that's just me.
Wow, thatís very good information. Too bad I read it late, I already ordered the M80. I also checked recent videos from Worsham and he removed the M80.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
anthem, baggs, m80, pickups