The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimt View Post
Possible it could of had words that were in context to a Gibson. The pick guard is the give away. 😄. Take that off it will sound way better.
It turned out to be the owner’s name spelled out in stick on letters.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:16 AM

The headstock and neck cleaned up nicely, btw...

Before:

After:

And here's some pics of the case. If anyone knows anything about these cases, such as when they were produced, I'd be interested to know. There appears to be a hole for some kind of key to lock the primary latch?

Old 04-11-2024, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I think you should play it for a while with the rosewood bridge plate, and see how it sounds to you.

I have a '79 D-35 with the large rosewood bridge plate, it's a fantastic sounding guitar. Maybe it would sound better with a BP switch, but I'm leaving it alone, it sounds just great to me.

It looks to me like you guitar is playable just like you have it. Get it going, see how it sounds and feels and then decide what you think needs improving.

Best of luck with it, congratulations!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:49 AM

That case looks like it is from later than '73. My '74 had the original blue "Steal Me" case which is exactly like yours but not black. I think they went with the black version later on but I don't know when the switch was made.

Just FYI - You might want to check the serial # with Martin. My serial # is actually lower than yours. The black, not blue, case made me look at your serial # since it was included in an earlier photo.

I still think it will be worth it to find a luthier to replace the oversized rosewood bridgeplate rather than even consider a plate mate or other option. I've not heard much good about them. I really don't think it contributes much in the way of a "rosewood sound" like, say, rosewood back & sides. There is some thought that the rosewood fretboard & bridge do make a bit of a sonic difference, though. I can say the oversized bridgeplate doesn't do anything good for the guitar's overall sound. Since you need the bridge moved back anyway, that's the time to replace the bridgeplate IMO. You'll want a decent luthier to do both anyway.

These '70s Martin dreads can be killer guitars with a little help! On that I can testify!

Frank
Old 04-11-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
That case looks like it is from later than '73. My '74 had the original blue "Steal Me" case which is exactly like yours but not black. I think they went with the black version later on but I don't know when the switch was made.

Just FYI - You might want to check the serial # with Martin. My serial # is actually lower than yours. The black, not blue, case made me look at your serial # since it was included in an earlier photo.

I still think it will be worth it to find a luthier to replace the oversized rosewood bridgeplate rather than even consider a plate mate or other option. I've not heard much good about them. I really don't think it contributes much in the way of a "rosewood sound" like, say, rosewood back & sides. There is some thought that the rosewood fretboard & bridge do make a bit of a sonic difference, though. I can say the oversized bridgeplate doesn't do anything good for the guitar's overall sound. Since you need the bridge moved back anyway, that's the time to replace the bridgeplate IMO. You'll want a decent luthier to do both anyway.

These '70s Martin dreads can be killer guitars with a little help! On that I can testify!

Frank
Thanks for that. I forgot to mention that the guitar turned out to be from 1975. The ad said ‘72, which was based on the old guy’s memory. Hard to pin down these points in life from memory.

I’m going to live with the rosewood for a bit to see how it feels. If I decide to swap it, I’ll actually have a good understanding of what has changed.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles B. View Post
Thanks for that. I forgot to mention that the guitar turned out to be from 1975. The ad said ‘72, which was based on the old guy’s memory. Hard to pin down these points in life from memory.

I’m going to live with the rosewood for a bit to see how it feels. If I decide to swap it, I’ll actually have a good understanding of what has changed.
Enjoy that great "old" guitar!

Frank
Old 04-12-2024, 01:34 PM

Default a thought

Ain't going to get much 'rosewood sound' out of a mahogany D-18.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Ain't going to get much 'rosewood sound' out of a mahogany D-18.
I’m pretty sure the reference to “rosewood sound” was to the sound of oversized rosewood bridgeplate (that was under an additional piece of maple glued to the bridgeplate, which piece has since been removed). The debate is whether to live with the oversized rosewood bridgeplate or replace it with a smaller maple bridgeplate.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I’m pretty sure the reference to “rosewood sound” was to the sound of oversized rosewood bridgeplate (that was under an additional piece of maple glued to the bridgeplate, which piece has since been removed). The debate is whether to live with the oversized rosewood bridgeplate or replace it with a smaller maple bridgeplate.
Ah. Makes sense. If this was my guitar, I'd replace the chewed-up, as well as oversize, bridge plate with a maple one if for no other reason than its being all bunged up. A more rational size would be a bonus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion