The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-09-2004, 11:28 AM

Default First Gig - Survived - Just

Actually, the thread title is a bit of an exaggeration. My girlfriend's classical ensemble got together for their annual barbeque, and I was kindly invited along. Only later was I told that it is obligatory for all who attend to perform... and I know you guys will sympathise ... I can play pretty well in the privacy of my own home, with the door locked, and nobody around, but get me in front of an audience and I just go to pieces.

I was very nervous (of course) so I just had a glass of wine with the bbq, but the rest of the group seemed to be laying into the beers pretty heavily. So come the time for the guitars to be brought out, I actually didn't put in a bad performance - relatively speaking! I was less intimidated when I realised (a) the group was a very freindly welcoming bunch; and (b) I was the only person there sober enough string three notes together, though that didn't stop the others trying.

So although I played the pieces waaaay too fast, with no dynamics at all, and a couple of huge blunders, with a very red face and sweaty hands (oh, how attractive) I at least managed to get through it. I'm counting the survival as a major achievement!

Hmmm. The prospect of me doing more performance doesn't seem completely impossible anymore! Anyway. I'm happy. Just thought I'd brag about it for a bit!

[ end of brag ]
Old 08-09-2004, 11:52 AM

Weellllll, Aaaalllllrrriiggghht! You da man.

Your nervousness is very common and almost everyone goes thru it.

Way to go.

bukwheat
94 gibson chet atkins nylon
99 gibson les paul tv jr
81 ovation legend
06 Godin synth
79 ovation 1624
Old 08-09-2004, 11:53 AM

Congrats!

You seem to have taken a jump that has taken me a few years to get myself up to...

At first, the thought of playing for one friend was mortifying.
Then, playing for a group of friends was mortifying.

Now, if I am asked to play for a group and not everyone is listening... LOOK OUT because I am out for some blood

Keep up the playing, and soon you might be able to shake through a real gig at a restaurant somewhere.

Devon
Old 08-09-2004, 04:06 PM

Congratulations on your first "gig"!! The first one is the hardest. With that out of the way, you'll be an old hat at it in no time!! As nervous as you were, it felt great didn't it? For me it's like potato chips. You can't have just one!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 04:08 PM

No kiddin!! Congratulations....

But watch out...once you get comfortable up there it becomes like a drug...you just gotta keep performing!! LOL
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 08-09-2004, 04:33 PM

Congratulations! That's awesome and believe me I know how hard it is. I have a number of gigs under my belt now, but I remember saying that too, "whoa, I lived through it!". So keep plugging. And do it again when you get the next chance. It does get easier.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:21 PM

Congratulations are in order for you, great job! I still get those sweaty palms at times when my confidence and practice are both at a low point, but it is so rewarding to share music with others. You've proven to yourself and us that you can do it so don't let anything stop you now.

714ce LTD/SPEC
810 -SOLD-
1991 Takamine EN-10 (AN)
Mid-Mo M2 mandolin
1989 Valley Arts Strat
1988 Fender American Tele
Old 08-10-2004, 06:42 AM

Many thanks for all your supportive and encouraging comments, which really brought a big grin to my face - you guys are fab!
Old 08-10-2004, 04:00 PM

I agree with all of the above, and offer my own congratulations as well. I remember my first couple of open mike nights. One thing I want to point out to you, tho, is that no one is interested in the blunders you may have made. They just want to enjoy the music. YOU are probably the only one who noticed any blunders. To you, they stand out a mile. To everyone else, they didn't happen. Don't be afraid to screw up royally. Just pick up the pieces and go on with the music, and every one will be very happy I screw up every time I play. I seldom get anyone pointing it out, tho. Just my instructor. LOL and I pay him for that! Just have a great time, and keep on making music.
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 08-11-2004, 01:49 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle
I agree with all of the above, and offer my own congratulations as well. I remember my first couple of open mike nights. One thing I want to point out to you, tho, is that no one is interested in the blunders you may have made. They just want to enjoy the music. YOU are probably the only one who noticed any blunders. To you, they stand out a mile. To everyone else, they didn't happen. Don't be afraid to screw up royally. Just pick up the pieces and go on with the music, and every one will be very happy I screw up every time I play. I seldom get anyone pointing it out, tho. Just my instructor. LOL and I pay him for that! Just have a great time, and keep on making music.
Right on Freestyle!
Just want to add one more thing; before you play remind yourself that music is to share with another, not just for yourself, if they enjoy it then good for them, if they don't then that's their choice! Get up there and play your heart out!
Old 08-20-2004, 03:44 PM

Oh man, I can relate!!! I'm glad it went well for you... I used to be just like that, awesome at home, but shakey hands when I played for people, nerves, sweat... The more you do it the more comfortable you will feel doing it. Eventually you may even start learning songs for the purpose of performing in front of people. I'm to the point now where I love to play for people. I feed off of it. I play best when playing for new faces. But like you, I do prefer that they are a few drinks ahead of me, just in case. LOL!!!

I love what "Freestyle" said too!! Very good point. People simply want to be entertained, not to ridicule. And if you mess up, hey, your human... I recently read a great article about this very subject. It's a great read, and a cool site also. Here's the link... http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=252

Last edited by AcousTronic; 08-20-2004 at 04:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell