The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2022, 09:58 PM

I have three decent guitars, I don’t count the little Martin. I like having a rosewood, a mahogany and an all mahogany. I could get by with one of course but keeping one in alternate tunings is why I think a minimum of two fits my needs better. The OM-15 CS Martin would probably be the one to go but I absolutely adore that guitar so it’s three for now.
Anyone in the market for a Little Martin LX in black?
Old 06-25-2022, 10:09 PM

I find nothing appealing about the notion of having only one guitar. I prefer 2 acoustics and 2 electrics minimum. If one (of either type) is in the shop, I want another to play while I wait. Why would it ever be ideal to be completely dependent on one type of anything?
Old 06-25-2022, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
This is one of the funniest posts ever on this forum! LOL and ROTFL at the same time!
You know, as in Juke Box Hero,
"That One Guitar, felt good in his hands, ..."

Sent from my SM-S901U using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 06-25-2022, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The "concept" of owning a single guitar is actually very popular on AGF, kind of like sobriety at a bar or giving up Ding Dongs and chips at a Weight Watchers meeting...
Right, another forum, Guitaroholics Anonymous exists for one guitar owners recovering from GAS.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 06-26-2022, 07:15 AM

I just started playing at age 67 and bought a dread. Recently I added a recording king dirty 30s parlor and I’m finding it useful as a learning tool to keep my fretting fingers more nimble because each guitar requires a different pressure and spacing to get clean notes. For me it’s a good exercise in not getting locked in to one technique and one sound.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 06-26-2022, 07:15 AM

one guitar?

what does that even mean???

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-26-2022, 08:22 AM

Arrow

I envy one guitar people. I always think of my dad with this topic, he bought his first guitar in probably the 70's; an all laminate Epiphone FT-145. Several years ago I gave him my grandpas guitar (his father) that was given to me by my uncle for my 16th birthday. I felt it should belong to my dad, it's still in the family and it will be passed back down to me one day if I'm alive. So now he technically has two, but his dad's is more a piece of nostalgia that hangs on a wall. He bought his guitar way back then and never looked back or around or ahead for another. Perfectly content with it, I respect that. Btw, he plays pretty well daily.

I'm too sentimental to get rid of my two electrics I never play, heck I don't even own an amp anymore. My Godin 5th Ave with the sunk neck is a sentimental object though I don't play it anymore, I did do a temporary filing of the floating bridge to make it playable recently but it's not the same and just doesn't sound very good, but it's too special to pitch it.

I have three acoustics that I play, but 95% of that is on my Guild. I've been tempted to sell the other two and buy one, or just sell them and stick with my Guild. I still wouldn't be a one guitar guy, but functionally I would!
Old 06-26-2022, 11:10 AM

One guitar is too hardcore for me, but I do like the idea/feeling of having only a few really prized/appreciated guitars in your home. I feel like it’s much more calming and peaceful to have 2 or 3 “close friends” in your presence than 20 extra guitars you may only play twice a year cluttering up the walls, corners, and closets of your home.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues88 View Post
The most I had at same time were 4: 2 steel, 1 electric and 1 classical. Already sold both the classical and the electric. As I much prefer steel string and I didn't like/wanted to gtab my electric as it was kinda pointless for the music I enjoy (folk/singer songwriter stuff)

The idea of having only one guitar, appeals more to me than switching between various guitars. Everytime I upgraded I stopped playing the others.

Don't know.. perhaps the romantic idea of having THE guitar that I play and bring it everywhere as it collects stories and this kinda things

Is someone the same?
I kind of get this...

I mean ...One acoustic....One Electric...etc.,

Acoustics are so different that it can either a god send or not..
for me it can be a distraction since string spacing/nut widths can be different from one brand to another.
I can do different nuts widths but string spacing can be problem until you adjust, plus the feel...sound..etc.., just a lot of variables
Old 06-26-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I don't understand. Can someone please explain what he is writing about? What does he mean by ''only one guitar''? Is that a new brand?
I think it’s slang for something but don’t quote me🤔
Lol on a serious note having followed Andy (Silly Moustache) for years, I’ve always liked the fact that he does play em all as tools for the job as it were.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:56 PM

I know a good psychologist devoted to help musicians…

I am just kidding !

Should I know one, I would seek help to reduce my herd even more…
Old 06-26-2022, 01:59 PM

I can think of two examples of the UKs very best players in Martin Simpson who has a large collection and still loves to find a Luthier who’s guitars blow him away? And Michael Watts who owns two beautiful Kostal guitars in different woods and seems to get by ok regardless🤔
Old 06-26-2022, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

What if a Bluegrass dobro player takes a trip to Spain and decides he wants to learn to play flamenco style guitar? You can't play flamenco on a dobro so that guy needs 2 guitars. End of story.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The most I had at same time were 4: 2 steel, 1 electric and 1 classical. Already sold both the classical and the electric. As I much prefer steel string and I didn't like/wanted to gtab my electric as it was kinda pointless for the music I enjoy (folk/singer songwriter stuff)

The idea of having only one guitar, appeals more to me than switching between various guitars. Everytime I upgraded I stopped playing the others.

Don't know.. perhaps the romantic idea of having THE guitar that I play and bring it everywhere as it collects stories and this kinda things

Is someone the same?
You need a shrink
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 06-26-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Is someone the same?
I think you got a point. I just shipped off my Charis to what I hope is going to be a good home. I’m down to one guitar. It’s a great one and I hope that it lets me break the I’m-bored-let’s-check-out-the-classifieds pattern.
I know….dream on.
Christian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion