The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
I’ve wanted a Hummingbird for a long time. I really like that classic early stones acoustic sound. Torn between the Custom 60’s model or one of the Original models. I still have so much to learn and experience to gain so I’m holding off for a little while and playing what I have. Hard right now to find any and I’d really like to play several to find the right one. There’s another side of me that’s about three or four beers away from just ordering one and be done with it.
Search long and hard and get a custom shop one - I did and I am absolutely blown away by my bird. I am coming from a Taylor 814 CE DLX. I thought I’d never get rid of the Taylor, but now all I want is another custom shop Gibson.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Gibson Songwriter / Gibson J-185 / Gibson LG-2 Original

Yup, “Only Gibson is good enough”
Old 06-26-2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Search long and hard and get a custom shop one - I did and I am absolutely blown away by my bird. I am coming from a Taylor 814 CE DLX. I thought I’d never get rid of the Taylor, but now all I want is another custom shop Gibson.
Thanks for that. I think that would be a good way to go. I’ve heard a lot of good feedback on that custom 60’s model.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:22 AM

I’m very interested in a Wilborn Arum (redwood/cocobolo or macassar ebony) … someday, maybe.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
I’m very interested in a Wilborn Arum (redwood/cocobolo or macassar ebony) … someday, maybe.
Aimelie, I've never heard of Wilborn Arum but I just checked out his website. Beautiful guitars! How did you hear Ben Wilborn?
Old 06-27-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Aimelie, I've never heard of Wilborn Arum but I just checked out his website. Beautiful guitars! How did you hear Ben Wilborn?
I know it’s crazy (), but I discovered that these guitars exist only recently right here on good old AGF. And since then I’m having trouble not daydreaming about one just for me.

(Soundport? Check. Arm bevel? Check. Highly responsive redwood top? Check. Beautiful, out of the ordinary design—with very interesting radial bracing? Check. Out of my price range for now? Sadly—check. From what I gather, wait time is something like five years. So for now, in the land of dreams it shall remain … )

I sure would like a redwood topped guitar, though, one day. (To complement my cedar topped Furch, naturally.)

Old 06-27-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
I know it’s crazy (), but I discovered that these guitars exist only recently right here on good old AGF. And since then I’m having trouble not daydreaming about one just for me.

(Soundport? Check. Arm bevel? Check. Highly responsive redwood top? Check. Beautiful, out of the ordinary design—with very interesting radial bracing? Check. Out of my price range for now? Sadly—check. From what I gather, wait time is something like five years. So for now, in the land of dreams it shall remain … )

I sure would like a redwood topped guitar, though, one day. (To complement my cedar topped Furch, naturally.)

His website said he is accepting 10 new orders January 1, 2023. Go for it. Life is short.

I'm sure your husband hates me,

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-27-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
His website said he is accepting 10 new orders January 1, 2023. Go for it. Life is short.

I'm sure your husband hates me,
How did I know you would say that, Barry?

No, more seriously, we are finally about to kick off a major renovation project on our house (new tile roof, high tech insulation, total heating system replacement:natural gas to heat pump, plus possibly an a/c system if we can swing it, and/or a renovated bathroom to top it off). So my Furch as my one and only for the foreseeable future will have to do. (There are worse things in life.)

Last edited by Aimelie; 06-27-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:52 PM

So I found that my 1934D did a lot to stave off GAS. I have been to quite a few shops and played no shortage of fantastic instruments from all of the Big Small Four as well as Martin and Taylor, but nothing made me reach for my wallet.

That said, I don't suffer under the illusion that GAS won't creep up for me in the future. If I had to say now what I'd probably buy, it's a mahogany version of the 1934D since they use old growth (1930s) for both the top and b/s (which would be adi/hog).

I'd want it to be identical to my 1934D BRW in the neck carve and body size (their D is just slightly shallower than a standard Martin D which I appreciate as a not-so-tall person) and the shape of their necks are the ones my fretting hand get along with best.

I'd want to differentiate it visually from my 34D so I'd probably do the vintage varnish tint (my current has a beautiful sunburst) and maybe go with wood bindings of some kind vs. ivoroid. I think I may work with SCGC in Summer 2023 to spec this out.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 06-27-2022, 06:15 PM

None- I have what I want.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I thought long and hard about a Guild D-40 Traditional in sunburst, but it sold and my GAS went away.

I would like to add a Taylor John Denver Commemorative to my collection, but those are rare and probably way out of my price range even if one becomes available.

However, every time the lotto goes over 300 mil my wife sends me down to buy tickets. If we ever win, I am going to buy the Fire and Ice D 45 from Maury's Music and look for a Taylor JDCM on the interwebs.

Plus, Pickaherringbone on the UMGF forum as some nice guitars....
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 06-27-2022, 06:49 PM

I’ve been eyeing a Larrivee SD-40, but I already have an Eastman E10D and a Gibson J-15. Does the Larrivee seem unnecessary?

Last edited by bfm612; 06-27-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

For about a year, I had an E6D, SD40, and J15....all quite different. I then sold the E6D back to the friend I bought it from, and got a J35 and still no tonal redundance. The SD40 was quite loud, louder the the E6D and my previous E10D.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
The SD40 was quite loud, louder the the E6D and my previous E10D.
Wow, really? I think my E10D is pretty loud, so I’m surprised that the SD-40 is even louder, even though that’s its reputation. Not counting it out yet!
Old 06-27-2022, 07:49 PM

Color me content with what I have, thank you very much. Can't imagine adding another.
But am enjoying this thread a lot!
Tacoma PR-40 (Nick Lucas Size Sitka/IR)
Tacoma PR-18Ltd (Nick Lucas Size Sitka/BRW)
Taylor 512c (Concert size Engelmann/Hog)
Eastman MD515CC Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion