The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2022, 04:51 AM

For fingerstyle in open tunings, Celtic etc, they're about the best production guitars around. Definitely not a small scale production these days.

Mine is cedar on mahogany F body size. Love it. Such thick sounding trebbles meaning single note melodies ring out clear over an alternating bass line. Lots of sustain and sympathetic resonance means they love the droning sound you get with multiple strings in unison a la dadgad etc.
Eastman E10 00 SS adi/hog
Gibson CS AJ 'Gold' spruce/walnut
Huss & Dalton 12-fret 000 Sitka/IRW
Yamaha CSF3M travel/parlour/campfire
Lots of homemade electrics
Old 06-25-2022, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
You don’t mention what style of music you play...so best advice is to try all of them.

Now I had read about Lowdens but never seen or heard one and a thread appeared here about a small Lowden for sale with signatures on the top that everyone thought was sacrilege..... I gave it no more thought, but I was perusing a local used guitar shop inventory online and Bingo, there it was! Same guitar!

So I was there in a flash.....strings were hundreds of years old somehow, but...WOW! Brought a few acoustics and gadgets to trade, sat around while the guy checked all the checkables...and then it was MINE!

And the signatures on the top are from Tommy Emmanuel and his brother Phil! Staying!

Lowden is 1993 S35 in Tasmanian Blackwood/Cedar.....deep body 00 size in a Hiscox case.

This guitar seriously changed my mind on guitars and,......cases!

Only minus is it speaks the truth loudly.

BluesKing777.
Hi bluesking. I should’ve mentioned that I play modern fingerstyle with some percussive tapping (think Andy McKee, Michael hedges, Don Ross). That’s a pretty cool find on that signed S35! I’ve yet to own a cedar top guitar, so it’s definitely something to consider. Your post has me intrigued. I’m hoping to find my game changer as well. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
I've owned a Lowden O32 and F32c but now my ultimate fingerstyle/open tuning guitar is my McIlroy A30c. I found the Mac to be every bit as wonderful as the Lowdens, with the benefit of saving $1,500 for the same/better appointments. Either are quintessential fingerstyle guitars, and you will be pleased if you take this route.
These McIlroy’s are another option that I didn’t consider. Are these easy to find?
Thanks M19!
Old 06-25-2022, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I've an O 32 and an F 35, wonderful instruments.
If you're mostly finger style I'd suggest considering one of the 12 fret models, they're special.

https://youtu.be/0OIzDeC-_rM
Hey Slimey. 12 frets seem to get a lot of praise. I’ve never considered one because I often capo up the neck and worry that it would get a little cramped. Should that be a concern? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2022, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Re: Lowden

I have two Lowdens, an O-35 in Tasmanian Blackwood and Cedar. Really shines in DADGAD and has a mesmerizing droning sort of sound from the jumbo body. My other is an F-50 Fan Fret in African Blackwood and Sinker Redwood. The fan fret is pretty easy to adjust to and the woods are stellar! I tried an S but it sounded boxy to my ears, coming from the larger models.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
The “classic” Lowden is cedar over indian rosewood, i.e. 25.
I like the F size as it sits right between the larger O and smaller S.
So F25 for me; I had two back in the day.

I’ve since moved on to sole luthier built instruments but, for me, Lowden are my go-to recommendation if you want an off-the-shelf fingerstyle guitar.

Cheers,
Steve
Hey Steve. Yes, the F size seems to be the sweet spot and probably the one I’d focus on based on what I’ve heard so far. Cedar tops will be a new experience for me, but it could be just the tone that I’ve been missing. Cheers!
Old 06-25-2022, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

If you like the Lowden sound I would also recommend considering a McIlroy. I have two. They are particularly good value used, do come up for sale from time to time - in fact there is an A20 for sale here on the AGF.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-25-2022, 05:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I also wanted to ask how the older builds (say early to mid 90s) compare to today’s builds? Have they changed a lot? Do you have a preference? I’d be looking at used, so something to consider. Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2022, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

I posted this in another thread but it might not have been noticed. It’s not often that one can walk into a shop that has 10 Lowdens in stock:

If you are anywhere near Scarsdale, NY, it would be worth a visit (and Rudy’s downtown has even more Lowdens).
Old 06-25-2022, 05:49 AM

I have an S50: Sinker Redwood over African Blackwood. I was coming from a dread that was causing me shoulder pain and this size is perfect for me.

The African Blackwood makes for a fairly heavy guitar, but the tone is wonderful. This is George Lowden's favorite combination (with the Redwood). The fit and finish is perfect, the tuners are great and I love not messing with bridge pins.

If you don't like sustain you wouldn't like this guitar. I'm afraid I can't think of anything negative to say. The wood is not spectacular looking, it just sounds spectacular.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-25-2022, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
F32c current owner and past owner of the S25.
The S25 got the nod for comfort but was a little light on the punch and volume.
The F32c fills a room like a piano with nice crisp trebles and rich base, very lively and responsive. Perfect for alternate tunings and finger style, though versatile if you want to pick as well. The tone has a distinct, very unique voicing in addition to the rich overtones. I find the F body size a tad too deep for my ultimate shoulder comfort as I mostly play OM size guitars.
Seconded ;-)
Old 06-25-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
Hi bluesking. I should’ve mentioned that I play modern fingerstyle with some percussive tapping (think Andy McKee, Michael hedges, Don Ross). That’s a pretty cool find on that signed S35! I’ve yet to own a cedar top guitar, so it’s definitely something to consider. Your post has me intrigued. I’m hoping to find my game changer as well. Thanks!
Hmmm, you might be interested in a Thomas Leeb signature Lowden - it has a tap/scratch pad of wood on the front, O size and figured walnut/sitka.....

My S35 is nearly 30 years old, 4 kinds of wonderful and plenty loud. I have my recent O22, very deep but not much louder than my S. Also have a 1993 LS1, early model same size as the new F.

All great! But different.

BluesKing777.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
These McIlroy’s are another option that I didn’t consider. Are these easy to find?
Thanks M19!
Unfortunately no. Dermot worked for Lowden for a number of years before striking out on his own, but it is still a one man operation (he makes batches of 6-8 at a time). In the States Paramount Guitars in WI reps them. http://paramountguitars.net/guitars_acoustic.htm

Looks like he as an AJ (Jumbo, the Lowden O size) Rosewood/Sitka (His model 30) in stock: http://paramountguitars.net/gtr/McilroyAJ30cRS.htm The price is like $1000 less than it'd take to by a Lowden O32c.

Last edited by M19; 06-25-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:28 AM

I have a few ... my favourite acoustic's.
O35 I play most out ... spruce, very balanced ringing tones, great strummer.
S50 12 fret, sinker redwood and mahogany... lives next to my desk, in easy reach, lovely tone
F35 fan fret cutaway ... great clarity for flatpicking melody ... if I could play finger-style it would be good
12 string O25, similar to the O35, chimes.
Baritone tuned A-a.
All very playable, whether noodling waiting for an update to download, playing with friends or a session, amplified with the ceilidh band ...
I have a Taylor 810 for when I really want a dreadnaught for bluegrass'y stuff. Generally not a fan of Martin boom-thud ... hence the Lowden's! Have to admit that the Modern Deluxe sounds OK though ... surprised me!
Old 06-25-2022, 08:50 AM

I have a Richard Thompson signature Lowden, two years old. It's the F size with Zircote. My favorite guitar and so happy I got it. I wouldn't change a thing and with you playing in DADGAD and changing tunings, it is perfect. So easy to change the tunings. I'd suggest looking for an F size Lowden.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion